Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

23 Posts

04-12-2014

Chiang Mai

2492 Signins

15861 Page Views

• Views: 15861
  • Message 1471 of 1678

Re: Yoga 2 Pro Wifi Problems

2014-11-12, 6:54 AM

@adrian_ilie825:

Have a look at ASUS UX303LN, you might like it.  try the one with FHD screen.  Avoid the QHD screen because you will get the same mustard yellow as Y2P.  It's just a plain laptop not a convertible.

Options

234 Posts

08-20-2011

Bosnia and Herzegovina

1117 Signins

6736 Page Views

• Views: 6736
  • Message 1472 of 1678

2014-11-12, 8:44 AM

wrote:

wow, thank you all for stopping me to make a big mistake by choosing this notebook. What do you recommend instead? I like x1 carbon, but it's a little bit out of my budget.

I need a notebbok with performance(to run very well the photoshop and illustrator Adobe suit), between 13 and 14 inch screen size.

Now I have a dell xps 13, which is kind of old, but this machine also gives me a lot of trouble with the video drivers. It crashes very often and I'm sick of it :)

I thought that Yoga 2 will be a solution, but from your oppinions ,definitely not.

thanks a lot,

adrian

If you can wait several months then I'd wait. New Intel Broadwell U CPUs are coming (successor to Haswell U CPUs, which are used in practically all ultrabooks released in past year).

All laptop manufacturers will be refreshing their offering with new laptop models. I'd be surprised if even Lenovo doesn't come out with a new Yoga model. Yoga 3 Pro uses Broadwell Y CPU which just came out, which isn't very powerful becuse it's made for tablets or very thin and light laptops. So, as some reviews are calling it, it's more "Yoga 3 Slim" than "Yoga 3 Pro".

If you can wait then wait for little longer. Now is not a good time to get a laptop. Intel is late this time with their CPU refresh, but it's coming in a few months. You'll have plenty of new options with some new tricks, like USB 3.1 (AC power shared with USB port)...

Apart from wifi issue Y2P is still a great laptop because of its form (laptop, tablet, stand modes), IF you like to use it as a convertible. If you are strictly a laptop user then rather go for something else.

Many people have upgraded to AC wifi card and have no problems or much less. I, for example, have had very few wifi issues with the stock wifi card.

I very much enjoy the ultra high res screen. Adobe have updated Photoshop for touch, and the Photoshop crashing was a very old issue with old original Yoga graphics drivers. Updating to new Yoga or Intel drivers fixes all problems with Photoshop. EVen with older Photoshop the issue is only with tiny menu bar. Actual menus look normal size. But, the new Photoshop is touch friendly and optimized for any resolution.

There's actually very few programs nowadays that appear tiny at 3200x1800 resolution. Most programs work perfectly at any chosen Windows scaling. 200% is a good one. I use 180% because I like to have extra screen space. It's similar to 1920x1080 resolution at 100% scaling, but all the letters and graphics appear much sharper.

Modern apps of course appear perfect at any resolution.

My next laptop will have 4K resolution. Once you try such a sharp display you don't want to go back. Even 1920x1080 display looks blurry compared to 3200x1800.

And BTW, you can easily use 1920x1080 resolution on Y2P, it appears very nice. Non-pentile displays look blurry at non stock resolution, but a pentile display because of its sub pixel arrangement stays pretty sharp at non stock resolution.

I've read that Y3P has better yellows than Y2P because of newer revision of display, but even Y2P doesn't have as bad yellows as many people make it appear. Unless you're a graphics designer then it's totally fine. The yellows looked like mustard when Y2P first came out, and creaated a bad reputiation, but the BIOS update made it much better. Not perfect, it's slightly greenish when you put a perfect yellow next to it, but most people wouldn't ever notice unless they look carefully. For any non-graphics design use it's perfectly fine.

And BTW how many laptops have perfect colors?

In short - if you really like the design form of Y2P then it's still a great laptop to have with really nice feaatures. I enjoy mine very much and use both tablet and stand modes. As a tablet it sits in my palm, and stand mode is perfect for a cafe browsing. 13 inch Yoga in stand mode is so much better than a 10 inch iPad resting on a stand.

But, if you are more of a regular laptop user then I'd advise to look for another non convertible laptop. Both Y2P and Yoga 2 13 have some niggles that don't affect all, but affect quite a few people.

Lenovo's utter ignoring of all those issues for such a long time is plain descpicable, no other way to say this.

If you can wait then wait for the new Broadwell U CPU when you'll have dozens of new laptops (and very possibly new design forms) to choose from.

Options

93 Posts

12-31-2013

Sweden

280 Signins

1736 Page Views

• Views: 1736
  • Message 1473 of 1678

2014-11-12, 9:06 AM

Many people have upgraded to AC wifi card and have no problems or much less. I, for example, have had very few wifi issues with the stock wifi card.

Consider yourself lucky! However myself and MANY users have suffered - and being forced to repair a new product out of the box with zero support form the manufacturer should never happen.

I very much enjoy the ultra high res screen. Adobe have updated Photoshop for touch and the Photoshop crashing was a very old issue with old original Yoga graphics drivers.

Could you please be more specific - I have been using Photoshop CC 2014 and on full resolution the icons are just a few mm in size which is impossible to read so I have been foced to reduce the resolution to half of the maximum. Further, I have the Intel graphics driver  v10.18.10.3496 and Photoshop CC 2014 crashes quite often.

But, the new Photoshop is touch friendly and optimized for any resolution. There's actually very few programs nowadays that appear tiny at 3200x1800 resolution.

I am using Photoshop CC 2014 (and several other programs) which does not support the high resolution display. Please tell me what version you are using as I have tried several times without success to get the scaling working.

I've read that Y3P has better yellows than Y2P because of newer revision of display, but even Y2P doesn't have as bad yellows as many people make it appear. Unless you're a graphics designer then it's totally fine.

LOL - I am a graphics designer - and in my opionion the poor quality of yellows on the Y2P is a huge defect. I think that anyone using the Y2P for graphics design should be warned in advance that they should definetly NOT purchase the Y2P and to thoroughly check any machiene in future with a pentile display.

Of course no electronic device has perfect colours which is why there is so much time and effort put into calibrating displays. The defect on the pentile display on the Y2P means that your yellows will always have a green tinge and for graphic design work it renders my Y2P display worthless. I can only use my Y2P machine on an external RGB display.

In short - if you really like the design form of Y2P then it's still a great laptop to have with really nice feaatures.

As I am working with graphic design I think the Y2P is garbage. The only "nice feature" is the display can be bent all the way back, which ironically I only seem to use when I am showing off my Y2P to friends!!!

Lenovo's utter ignoring of all those issues for such a long time is plain descpicable, no other way to say this.

And we finally agree upon something here - I was beginning to think that you were working for them ;)

Options

234 Posts

08-20-2011

Bosnia and Herzegovina

1117 Signins

6736 Page Views

• Message 1474 of 1678

2014-11-12, 10:31 AM
wrote:

Consider yourself lucky! However myself and MANY users have suffered - and being forced to repair a new product out of the box with zero support form the manufacturer should never happen.

I totally agree! That's why I wrote that I've had very few issues but that "Both Y2P and Yoga 2 13 have some niggles that don't affect all, but affect quite a few people."
And my ending how Lenovo's dealing with it can be cosidered descpicable. It really is. I've never seen any other laptop manufacturer putting their head in sand like Lenovo does with Y2P and ignore all the issues.

I very much enjoy the ultra high res screen. Adobe have updated Photoshop for touch and the Photoshop crashing was a very old issue with old original Yoga graphics drivers.

Could you please be more specific - I have been using Photoshop CC 2014 and on full resolution the icons are just a few mm in size which is impossible to read so I have been foced to reduce the resolution to half of the maximum. Further, I have the Intel graphics driver  v10.18.10.3496 and Photoshop CC 2014 crashes quite often.

But, the new Photoshop is touch friendly and optimized for any resolution. There's actually very few programs nowadays that appear tiny at 3200x1800 resolution.

I am using Photoshop CC 2014 (and several other programs) which does not support the high resolution display. Please tell me what version you are using as I have tried several times without success to get the scaling working.

I have to take back what I said then. I only read that Adobe has fixed all those issues with new Photoshop when Surface 3 was released, and I assumed that was the case. I haven't tried it myself.

However, the drivers you are using are old, from March 2014.

The new drivers are 3960. Download is here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24348&lang=eng

Can you try them and see if the crashing issue is fixed?

As for other programs and scaling - I suppose it all depends on what programs one uses. Practically all programs I use have perfect  scaling at any scaling I've tried. I know only of FastStone Viewer, Dropbox, Viber, Visual Studio.

I've read that Y3P has better yellows than Y2P because of newer revision of display, but even Y2P doesn't have as bad yellows as many people make it appear. Unless you're a graphics designer then it's totally fine.

LOL - I am a graphics designer - and in my opionion the poor quality of yellows on the Y2P is a huge defect. I think that anyone using the Y2P for graphics design should be warned in advance that they should definetly NOT purchase the Y2P and to thoroughly check any machiene in future with a pentile display.

Of course no electronic device has perfect colours which is why there is so much time and effort put into calibrating displays. The defect on the pentile display on the Y2P means that your yellows will always have a green tinge and for graphic design work it renders my Y2P display worthless. I can only use my Y2P machine on an external RGB display.

Come on, that's why I said "UNLESS you're a graphics designer"! 

If you're a graphics designer then I totally agree with you.

I don't know about you but I always read several reviews of any device I want to buy (especially if it's expensive), to see if there are any issues with it. Not perfect yellow color reproduction in Y2P has been mentioned in literally EVERY review. It's a big "No" sign for any graphics designer where you need PERFECT color reproduction.

For everyone else I still think the color repoduction is totally acceptable. Not even to mention the extra sharpness you get with such a high resolution display and a very bright screen of 350 nits.

In short - if you really like the design form of Y2P then it's still a great laptop to have with really nice feaatures.

As I am working with graphic design I think the Y2P is garbage. The only "nice feature" is the display can be bent all the way back, which ironically I only seem to use when I am showing off my Y2P to friends!!!

Well, that's why I also mentioned "IF you like to use it as a convertible" .

If you have no need of tablet and tablet in a stand/tent mode then why buy Yoga??

I very much use all the modes, and the functionality of a laptop / tablet / tablet with stand mode in one is simply fantastic. I love it and enjoy it a lot.

If a person needs only a laptop then of course better go for a laptop that is more optimized for a laptop form. Simple.

However, I use my Y2P as a laptop with external 1920x1080 24 inch monitor together with built in display set at 1600x900 resolution, all set to 100% scaling, and it simply rocks as a desktop computer with dual display setup.

It's fast, has backlit keyboard and very bright 350 nit screen, brighter than my external monitor. Attach a USB hub to USB 3 port and you have plenty of USB ports for anything you desire...

And we finally agree upon something here - I was beginning to think that you were working for them ;)

Agree. It's unbeliavable how Lenovo don't understand they are losing so many customers because of this attitude...

Are they even breaching the law by ignoring the support they are obliged to provide (warranty)?

Options

234 Posts

08-20-2011

Bosnia and Herzegovina

1117 Signins

6736 Page Views

• Message 1475 of 1678

2014-11-12, 10:59 AM

Actually, it looks like the new Intel graphics driver 3960 has been vastly improved with better battery life, much better performance, fixed issues and new features. Sounds good!

From the Intel download page:

This driver provides significant gaming performance for 4th Generation Intel® Core Processors with Intel HD, Iris™ and Iris™ Pro Graphics provides improvements while enhancing battery life through newer power conservation techniques such as CMAA* and Adaptive Rendering Control. Experience up to 30% improvement in performance in certain OpenCL workloads and up to 10% improvement certain games. The new and enhanced control panel offers additional media and display customization capabilities.

Options

93 Posts

12-31-2013

Sweden

280 Signins

1736 Page Views

• Message 1476 of 1678

2014-11-12, 11:19 AM

Regarding the new Intel Graphics driver.... how do you install this?

I downloaded it from the link suggsted and had the following error message:

Untitled-1.jpg

Options

93 Posts

12-31-2013

Sweden

280 Signins

1736 Page Views

• Message 1477 of 1678

2014-11-12, 11:20 AM

I should note about my own post that this is the wrong forum for this!!!

I would be happy to change forum if someone has a suitable suggestion?

Options

234 Posts

08-20-2011

Bosnia and Herzegovina

1117 Signins

6736 Page Views

• Message 1478 of 1678

2014-11-12, 12:37 PM

wrote:

Regarding the new Intel Graphics driver.... how do you install this?

I downloaded it from the link suggsted and had the following error message:

Untitled-1.jpg

You have to unistall the stock graphics driver from Lenovo first, and then install the new one.

You're right, this is entirely a new topic.

Here, I just made a post about the new driver in this thread:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Lenovo-Yoga-2-Pro-Video-Graphics-driver/m-p/1401745

Check out my new post in this thread about the "Panel self refresh" option which is not present in stock Lenovo driver. It offers 1-1.5 hours more battery life when on 3200x1800 resolution.

Options

93 Posts

12-31-2013

Sweden

280 Signins

1736 Page Views

• Message 1479 of 1678

2014-11-12, 15:39 PM

@splus - thanks a million - even though it was the wrong thread for your exchange of info on the graphics drivers at least now my high res display and window scalling is working great for the first time - I can even use photoshop on full resolution!!! Cheers.

@lenovo - how about updating your drivers more often?

Options

3 Posts

11-12-2014

Vilnius

59 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 1480 of 1678

2014-11-12, 19:51 PM

Hello,

does anyone know if Intel 7265 Wifi card works with Y2P? Thank you.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)