01-21-2016

/uk

5 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 1661 of 1678

Re: Yoga 2 Pro Wifi Problems

2016-02-07, 9:55 AM

Since taping the wifi card I never experienced any problems...

Before I tried all kind of updates but nothing worked. What I did notice before taping, that when you turn on the laptop wifi works fine for the first 30 min or an hour and then disconnections happen. I thought it happens because of laptop heats up, and since the logic board/motherboard is nearly touching the card, taping the wifi card with electric tape seemed like a good idea to me. And it did worked, just for the first couple hours it had few disconnects, but, apparently, it was absorbing the heat (electrical tape) to fill the empty gaps, because it might be the static electricity as well, I'm not sure.

Options

3 Posts

02-07-2016

Prince George, BC

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1662 of 1678

2016-02-07, 20:14 PM

thanks for the reply.  Glad it is working out for you.  For the most part I wasnt getting any disconnects.  just the extremly sporadic one that I would live with.  But when it happens its a pain in the ass for sure.

like i mentioned, when opening it up and the way the length of the wire is for the aux (white) lead going to the wifi card itself it appears that it is ALMOST touching if not touching when the computer gets jostled or flexed.  This is the metal riser of the main chip itself on the wifi card.  I've now tried the tape, and I am hoping for zero disconnects.  

If everything is good for the next solid month Im coming back to post something about it as well. 

Options

25 Posts

05-05-2014

USA

41 Signins

339 Page Views

• Views: 339
  • Message 1663 of 1678

2016-02-08, 14:20 PM
I've had my Yoga 2 Pro for almost two years, and it's been fine. However, I decided to check up on my ISP, Comcast, today, and noticed that my laptop was getting about 2/3 the download speed of my phone (2014 Moto X) was, even though they were sitting right next to each other. Laptop reports 21.5 Mbps from testmy.net while the phone gets 36.2 Mbps (my wired desktop meanwhile gets 90.3 Mbps). I updated my wireless driver to the most recent one from Lenovo (from last summer), but it didn't seem to make any difference. Any advice?
Options

75 Posts

11-08-2013

Missouri

93 Signins

578 Page Views

• Views: 578
  • Message 1664 of 1678

2016-02-08, 14:51 PM

This is an "old" thread that seems to have been abandoned by the moderators.

I don't get too excited about download speeds but I have heard of others with similar problems (never checked mine because I don't do any heavy online work with it).  I don't know if it made any difference or not, but I replaced the original Intel N7260 wifi module in the laptop with an N7260 dual-band in an attempt to fix periodic wifi disconnections.  I bought mine on Amazon but you have to be very careful to get the right one.  My wifi disconnects seem to be somewhat less frequent (wife uses the laptop so I don't know if she has given up on complaining to me or if it's really better).

If you have time, read back through all 165 screens in this thread and look for other solutions.  Every solution seems to work for one person and not for others.  Very strange and very frustrating.

As far as I know, there is no Lenovo generic fix for the problem.

Options

3 Posts

02-07-2016

Prince George, BC

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1665 of 1678

2016-03-07, 17:40 PM

yes, you are right.  there are some sollutions that fit individuals, but then there are issues that could pottentially be build or quality assurance issues.  I chose to give the tape trick a go after inspecting my hardware and seeing a possible flaw with the layout.  I think in my situation I did not get the benefit from insulation for heat as I think mine was more a issue with metal on metal contact of two components causing a short in my wifi.

On the PCB itself for the wireless card there is the main riser chip (possibly made of aluminum and is silver).  This chip rises of the green board.  just about it and in close proximity are the two leads for the wireless entenna.  On my setup the white wire lead was routed in a fashion that there was slight excess class causing the wire to shape and curve and be possitioned very close to the ridge of the chip on the wifi card.  As my connections were random but usually related to moving of the computer it made sense this could be a problem.

I did wrap the chip in a layer of tape but I mostly paid close attention to the metal side closest to where the lead sat and made sure it covered that side in its entirety.  just enough so that it created an electrical insulation buffer.

What was once a minimum of 2-3 random disconnects per week has now become.  Zero.

So yes, maybe this sollution will just be a remedy for myself but I have a feeling there are more out there that are exposed to the same issue that I've had.  I can safely say that I absolutely love this machine now as im not faced with having to close down apps, save documets and reboot to get my wifi working anymore.

I think doing the initial upgrade to the wireless AC card helped brielfy as it moved things around inside but it was still close in terms of those two metals making contact.  When this happened in my case the wireless would just cut out.  I would be able to see the wifi name of the location I had connected to, but have no connectability to it, and I would no longer see any other sources.

shout out to the poster that commented this as a possible sollution.  Thank you!  I promised I would come back in a month and do a follow up post and am very happy that it is a glowing possitive one.

Options

1 Posts

03-08-2016

United States

2 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 1666 of 1678

2016-03-08, 7:32 AM

Can you possibly post a pic of what it looks like with your card tapped up?

Options

1 Posts

11-14-2015

Russia

6 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 1667 of 1678

2016-03-26, 11:06 AM

Hi everyone.

Maybe my post will be helpfull for someone.

I have D-Link DIR-300 revision B1 wifi router, when it was win8 all works fine. But after update to win10 my wifi started to drop out every half hour. It remains connected to network but there was no internet connection.

My solution is easy) Just uninstall Intel Smart Connect driver (4.2.41.2633), on lenovo support site it states that driver for win8.But for example, same notebook works fine with D-Link DIR-300 revision A1 in my other appartment.

Options

2 Posts

10-22-2015

United States

4 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 1668 of 1678

2016-03-29, 0:48 AM

I have to say, this has been the worst experience I think I've ever had with a laptop. I paid good money for this thing with top-of-the-line specs and the ability to double as a tablet!?!? Who could say no?? Boy was that a joke.

It worked great with Win 8 and 8.1. After Win 10, it has become a useless metal plate when trying to use it as a tablet. Right when it goes to tablet mode, it completely stops responding and takes anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple minutes to respond to one tap of my finger. I have searched all over the internet and have found no real solution to this problem. There are technical workarounds that may work but could also harm the actual components (i.e. overheating). Lenovo has been absolutely uninterested in any complaint or call I have made to them. They always "file a complaint" and tell me its a "known issue". Never heard back.

I have also NEVER ever had good wifi speeds. Lucky for me, I could just plug in an ethern...wait. Nevermind. I'm screwed. I have done just as much research on this issue as the slow tablet issue. No solution. My wifi tops out at ~20 Mbps at all times. It doesn't matter how far away I am from the router or what settings I have the router on. Believe, I have tried absolutely everything under the sun. The TWC guys have come out multiple times only to tell me they have no idea why the laptop is maxing out at 20 Mbps. Their computers (one almost a year older than mine) were getting 100+ Mbps which is the wifi speed I'm supposed to be getting (and the speed I DO get on my phone). If they hard wired any computer to the router they could actually get over 120 Mbps.

No answers, only temporary, makeshift solutions that could compromise the integrity of this $1000 piece of garbage. I could have paid half that if I just wanted a plain old laptop. Never again will I give this company any more money or referrals. I should have returned it when I had the chance.

Options

75 Posts

11-08-2013

Missouri

93 Signins

578 Page Views

• Views: 578
  • Message 1669 of 1678

2016-03-29, 2:48 AM

I, too, continue to have problems with wifi on my i5 Yoga 2 Pro.  New BIOS, all new drivers, replaced the wifi module - nothing, NOTHING works.  Every 15-minutes or so I lose my wifi connection and have to either disconnect/reconnect or reboot.  There are several "fixes" posed by others in this and other forums, none of which have worked for me.

On the other hand, the laptop worked flawlessly under Win 8.1 which is what it had before I "updated" to Windows 10.  I think it is a Microsoft problem, not a Lenovo problem.  Microsoft screwed it when Lenovo had it working properly.

Options

3 Posts

12-07-2015

US

7 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 1670 of 1678

2016-05-30, 15:13 PM

I also have wifi connection problems with my yoga 2 pro which I've had for about 2 years.  This only started a few months ago. Everything is fine in my home (95% of the time), but when I go to our weekend home, sometimes it works fine, but most times after about 15min - 2 hrs of working fine, my connection drops with messages like:

Default gateway not available

No network access

My phone is connected just fine and my husband's laptop is working fine.  But my yoga drops its signal, says there is no wireless connectivity.  Sometimes after a combination of restarting the wifi and shutting down the computer and turning back on, it comes back. But totally inconsistent.

I don't want to have to open up my laptop and replace some hardware! This thing works fine at my home.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete