08-14-2011

USA

1886 Signins

25513 Page Views

• Views: 25513
  • Message 911 of 1678

Re: Yoga 2 Pro Wifi Problems

2014-04-20, 0:23 AM

~900 posts have been made and still no answer?

Options

10 Posts

01-11-2014

German

17 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 912 of 1678

2014-04-20, 16:41 PM

the answer install the card mentiond in my email. works perfectly.

Lenovo will not fix this issue.

Options

371 Posts

12-05-2009

Boston

304 Signins

1667 Page Views

• Views: 1667
  • Message 913 of 1678

2014-04-20, 16:45 PM

@indest

A friend of mine has been experiencing the same wifi drops on various routers, but has solid connection within his own router using dd-wrt.  We decided to do the following troubleshooting methods..

Downgrade from Win8.1 to Win8 and let the OS install most of the drivers.  The wifi driver was installed automatically (v17). The results were solid connections on routers that experienced drops and it continued to be solid with no future drops.

We then upgraded back to Win8.1 and it started experiencing wifi drops (don't be so quick to judge - see conclusion). We then inserted the 7260 AC wifi card.. no wifi drops.

Conclusion:

AC card is obviously dual band and it appears Intel driver works well with Win8.1

However, the 7260N wifi card is a single band and the Intel driver seems to conflict ONLY with Win8.1 - but not Win8.

It's clear that Intel drivers are not working well on Win8.1.  I would very much like for someone else to test these exact methods if they have time.

So @indest, rather than posting the obvious number of posts, why don't you actually do your own research and do something about it.  If you don't like your Yoga 2 Pro because of wifi drops, sell it OR wait until INTEL comes out with an actual fix for Win8.1 drivers. 

Again, I just clearly proved that this is not and cannot be a Lenovo issue. Lenovo does not create the OS nor any drivers relating to wifi.  I'm sure Lenovo is working with Intel and Microsoft, but you must realize that this takes time with the proper testing.  So please, enough of the whining.

Options

1 Posts

04-22-2014

richmond, va

2 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 914 of 1678

2014-04-22, 0:58 AM

I have yoga 2 pro running 8.1 with the intel 7260 n card. Drops were a problem when new in January, but the driver update from intel seems to have fixed it for me. However, now I get an occasional can't connect at all situation. It sees the network, but says it can't connect to it. Even a restart doesn't fix it. Only a shut down fixes it, and then, just before it does shut down, I get a glimpse of a dialog box saying something had a problem at some address, and I believe it has an okay button that is waiting to be hit but never does. So the shut down closes down that dialog box and when it restarts, wifi is fine again. 

Anybody see anything like that or have a constant out wifi state??

thanks for any help

Steve

Options

28 Posts

12-21-2013

Pennsylvania

60 Signins

340 Page Views

• Views: 340
  • Message 915 of 1678

2014-04-22, 1:44 AM

We have a Yoga 2 Pro running windows 8.1 with a Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter. As of today, it will no longer connect to our home network. Up until today, it has connected without any problems, but dropped that connection frequently for no reason. Downloading the Intel 7260 driver will not help us. Without an internet connection on the machine, we are basically dead in the water.

And to be clear, every person who comes on this thread and says "I don't have any problems" or "just change out the network card" is really starting to get on my last nerve. I am not a hardware repairman. And your insistence that this isn't Lenovo's problem because they just buy components from suppliers is stupid. By that logic, when an airliner crashes due to engine failure, it's not the airline's fault, it is the fault of the engine manufacturer. Well maybe, but the airline still approved the aircraft for flight. Long story short: shut up. This is a thread for the people who are having problems and you aren't helping.

Options

1725 Posts

08-14-2011

USA

1886 Signins

25513 Page Views

• Message 916 of 1678

2014-04-22, 3:38 AM

wrote:

A friend of mine has been experiencing the same wifi drops on various routers, but has solid connection within his own router using dd-wrt.  We decided to do the following troubleshooting methods..

Downgrade from Win8.1 to Win8 and let the OS install most of the drivers.  The wifi driver was installed automatically (v17). The results were solid connections on routers that experienced drops and it continued to be solid with no future drops.

We then upgraded back to Win8.1 and it started experiencing wifi drops (don't be so quick to judge - see conclusion). We then inserted the 7260 AC wifi card.. no wifi drops.

Conclusion:

AC card is obviously dual band and it appears Intel driver works well with Win8.1

However, the 7260N wifi card is a single band and the Intel driver seems to conflict ONLY with Win8.1 - but not Win8.

It's clear that Intel drivers are not working well on Win8.1.  I would very much like for someone else to test these exact methods if they have time.

, rather than posting the obvious number of posts, why don't you actually do your own research and do something about it.  If you don't like your Yoga 2 Pro because of wifi drops, sell it OR wait until INTEL comes out with an actual fix for Win8.1 drivers. 

Again, I just clearly proved that this is not and cannot be a Lenovo issue. Lenovo does not create the OS nor any drivers relating to wifi.  I'm sure Lenovo is working with Intel and Microsoft, but you must realize that this takes time with the proper testing.  So please, enough of the whining.

Unfortunately, not everyone has the ability to reformat a computer.  I don’t have the needed image, the internet speed to download one, nor the flexibility to go reformatting at will. That said, why did Lenovo ship this laptop with Windows 8.1 if THIS COMPUTER obviously cannot support windows 8.1 (considering how a critical component is messed up in the new operating system).

I wonder, if you went into a doctor’s office and got HIV from a colonoscopy because the sterilizer did not work, who would you blame? The company that made the machine, or the Doctor who should have known better and done some immunoarrays (on samples acquired from the equipment) before use?

To me, Lenovo should have known better and done some testing to realize the equipment was not function under 8.1.

Moderator comment: Post edited. See comment below.

Options

371 Posts

12-05-2009

Boston

304 Signins

1667 Page Views

• Message 917 of 1678

2014-04-22, 4:06 AM

@indest

Listen to what you're saying "this computer obviously cannot support Win8.1". If that were the case, I think every Y2P would fail to work.

Look, until they figure out why a small percentage of Y2P has wifi drops, can you at least purchase a wifi usb to get by? I know you don't want to spend additional money, but for peace sake it will be worth your time.

I could even give you step-by-step instructions on how to go about replacing the card if you're willing to try.

Options

1725 Posts

08-14-2011

USA

1886 Signins

25513 Page Views

• Message 918 of 1678

2014-04-22, 14:30 PM

Please respect the wishes of other members having a problem and refrain from saying how your computer is free from defect. I don’t wish this wifi issue on anyone, but I hope that one day you go somewhere with a high noise hotspot and experience this issue for only for 5 hours. After that, I hope you never experience this issue again considering the frustrating nature of this problem.

Put yourself in our position. If you have had this issue for 6 months, where your internet disconnected 3-15x a day, how frustrated would you be?

I don’t believe in spending more money on a computer I already hate (as I have made evident on my other posts). Also, not like it is any of your business but, I am in a third world country without the convenience of being in the states (as any mod can confirm via IP address and as Mark_Lenovo has been aware of). This is added to the fact that ordering will probably be 4x+ the price (between shipping and the awesome 110% electronic import tax) with 6x the wait for a card that might not work. People still experience problems with the AC version of this card. In some cases, the BIOS won’t even read the AC card because some sub models don’t work. Frankly, my distain for the computer and the possibility of failure:cost + failure:wait ratio is way too high for my liking. Between the crappy internet in this country and the crappy wifi card, I am happy when I get internet on my laptop. Lucky for me I got an iPod, my primary source of internet connectivity (how sad is that -.-).

Moderator comment: Post edited. See comment below.

Options

9 Posts

03-13-2014

USA

16 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 919 of 1678

2014-04-22, 16:26 PM

I'd be interested in:

1) which wifi card to purchase as replacement

2) step-by-step instructions

:D  at your convenience.  no rush.  and thanks!

Options

371 Posts

12-05-2009

Boston

304 Signins

1667 Page Views

• Message 920 of 1678

2014-04-22, 18:07 PM

This is the card you want..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GUNZUG0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=YXVCIX2MBLHE&coliid=I2AULSXJI59VCF

check out youtube..

http://youtu.be/JqxPdv21_Mk

scale 1 to 5 (5 being most difficult) this is a 1

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms