Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattedj
Paper Tape
Views: 23,480
Message 1411 of 1,653

Re: Yoga 2 Pro Wifi Problems

Hi, yeah, I'm one of those who upgraded to the AC 7260. At first everything was fine, for about two months. It then suddenly just completely stopped working. I thought 'OMFG: it's completely dead!' I couldn't wake it, no tricks or work around(s) that I used to to would connect me to any wireless. I went to the intel site and downloaded the newest drivers: it came back to life. No ryme or reason why the drivers I had stopped working.

Sad thing is that it's back to not waking properly, about half the time. When I just sleep the computer, it doens't reconnect unless I go into the network settings, disable the card, then re enable it. 

I still can determine if it's the drivers, the Yoga, or both. Does this happen on every system that this card is installed on? It just sucks.

mattrice
Blue Screen Again
Views: 23,465
Message 1412 of 1,653

@mattedj wrote:

Hi, yeah, I'm one of those who upgraded to the AC 7260. At first everything was fine, for about two months. It then suddenly just completely stopped working. I thought 'OMFG: it's completely dead!' I couldn't wake it, no tricks or work around(s) that I used to to would connect me to any wireless. I went to the intel site and downloaded the newest drivers: it came back to life. No ryme or reason why the drivers I had stopped working.

Sad thing is that it's back to not waking properly, about half the time. When I just sleep the computer, it doens't reconnect unless I go into the network settings, disable the card, then re enable it. 

I still can determine if it's the drivers, the Yoga, or both. Does this happen on every system that this card is installed on? It just sucks.

Regarding your comment "When I just sleep the computer, it doesn’t reconnect unless I go into the network settings, disable the card, then re enable it.". Make sure you disable all power management for the network driver and see if this helps (found in the power management tab of driver configuration in the device manager for the network adapter). Even with power management disabled I still occasionally get this problem - the quickest fix for me is to put the computer back to sleep then on resume the network is back.

I hope this helps.

coip
SCSI Port
Views: 23,225
Message 1413 of 1,653

@coip wrote:

@regexaurus wrote:

@coip wrote:

...Someone earlier said that we could use this one. Is that true? Have people successfully swapped out the stock card for the 7260 NGW Intel Dual Band one in the previous link? What about drivers? How does it affect Bluetooth, etc? Is it easy to swap out by myself or would I have to take it in to a shop? I need a better wireless card--sick of pulling in 1-3 Mpbs download speeds on the stock one, but I don't want to brick my computer.

Yes, the 7260NGW Dual-band Wireless AC (M.2 NGFF form factor) card on the page you linked will work. I'm considering replacing the stock card in 4 Yoga 2 Pro laptops since Lenovo's (tech support) recommendation to install 17.0.1.5 hasn't resolved our connectivity problems--improved, perhaps, but not resolved. I'm not certain, but you shouldn't even need to re-install Intel PROSet (drivers/software). The card on the page you linked is essentially an 802.11ac version of the stock card. Here is a photo of the stock card in one of our laptops. I had opened it up to make sure the antenna wires weren't disconnected as reported by others earlier in this thread.

INTEL-7260NGW.jpg

Before doing any work on your laptop, shut down and disconnect it from external power. You will need a Torx T5 driver to remove 11 screws from the bottom cover, then remove the cover by gently releasing tabs beginning with the plastic at the rear.

torx-t5-screwdriver,500002.jpg

Ground yourself (discharge any static build-up) before touching any internal components. Remove the battery, then proceed to replace the card. Take your time and you have little chance of "bricking" your laptop. You may find the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro Service Manual (hardware maintenance manual) helpful. Page 43 has instructions for removing/replacing the WLAN card.

Something to keep in mind:

Unless the card is installed or provided by Lenovo as a warranty fulfillment, Lenovo is not responsible for supporting the card. In fact, Lenovo may invalidate your warranty if you replace the card. As long as you have the original card installed before contacting Lenovo support or returning your laptop for repair, you probably won't have any problems retaining warranty support/service.

Hope this helps!

Awesome! Thanks so much. Will definitely give this a shot. Looking forward to getting reliable connections and at 5.0 Ghz speed to boot (like it should've been from the start).

Just an update that I upgraded my wireless card in the Yoga 2 Pro using the card above and this instructional video. Everything worked like a charm and now I am dripping in megabits. I went from having an average of 1-3Mbps download speeds and precarious WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity to blazing at a constant 30Mbps (my ISP's limit) using generic Windows drivers for both.

I it is mind boggling to me that Lenovo didn't just put in a dual-band WiFi card when the Yoga 2 Pro launched. It would've cost them like what, $15 extra per computer that they easily could've passed on to consumers (if I'm already dropping $1300 on a computer, I don't care if I have to spend $1315 to get a WiFi card that doesn't suck. So odd.

Highlighted
Former Employee
Views: 23,147
Message 1414 of 1,653

I wanted to provide a summary of the thread to date.

Lenovo released Windows 8.1 wireless driver update v17.0.1.5 on 9/18/14. This driver seems to have resolved Wifi connection issues for many forum members. It is available here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Re-Yoga-2-Pro-Wifi-Problems/m-p/1549152#M...

UPDATE - the latest vesion is 17.13.2

If your machine is running a newer driver and you need to downgrade, see this post by Mattrice: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Re-Yoga-2-Pro-Wifi-Problems/m-p/1750545#M...

If your Yoga 2 Pro continues to experience issues maintaining a Wifi connection, follow this post by Mattrice to check your power management settings: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Re-Yoga-2-Pro-Wifi-Problems/m-p/1751315#M...

If these actions do not resolve your Wifi issues, or you are looking for top speed, some forum members have chosen to replace the Yoga 2 Pro's Intel Wireless-N 7260 single band card with an Intel Wireless-AC 7260 dual band card (part number 7260NGW), a card which is being used in newer Lenovo machines. These members report success, especially when connecting to public Wifi.

Here are posts summarizing how to swap out the Yoga 2 Pro Wifi card:

Special thanks and kudos to Indest, Mattrice, Regexaurus, and Coip for their contributions in this thread. Watching the community come together on this topic has been rewarding.

An extra gold star goes to Indest for his indefatigable efforts from the start on this thread. A second goes to Regexaurus for providing the link to the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro Hardware Maintenance Manual (HMM) which provides step-by-step processes on how to perform maintenance on this laptop: http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_yoga_2_pro_hmm.pdf

Please note: following the instructions provided in the HMM will help you keep your Lenovo warranty. Also, it's always a good practice to hang onto your old parts.

Good work everyone!

douglee25
Paper Tape
Views: 23,129
Message 1415 of 1,653

Amy,

Thanks for summarizing the post.

This should be updated in the OP so others can find it.

So swapping in a new card will NOT void your warranty, correct?

Thanks.

Doug

Former Employee
Views: 23,121
Message 1416 of 1,653

In answer to your question Doug - I recently requested a meeting to get a better understanding of how Lenovo's warranties work.

There were three big takeaways from that conversation.

• Generally speaking, if you follow the instructions in the Lenovo Hardware Maintenance Manual, you should be okay. First, because we provide step-by-step instructions, you have what Lenovo considers to be the best way to make repairs or swap components. And these manuals are not only for consumers, they are also used throughout the Lenovo organization, which includes the repair depots. If you can follow directions, these manuals are a great resource.
  • If replacing laptop components is not your cup of tea, or you are still working on improving your direction-following skills, then consider an Authorized Service Provider (ASP). These folks have been trained to do the work, and they will most likely offer a warranty for their work.
  • Last, if a customer purchases a replacement part from Lenovo, Lenovo warranties that part, no matter who the vendor is. Unfortunately, in this case, Lenovo does not offer the AC-7260 part for sale.

In short, opening up your device does not automatically void your warranty. As in all things, use common sense and good resources, keep your old parts, and you should usually be okay.

I hope this helps,

douglee25
Paper Tape
Views: 23,115
Message 1417 of 1,653

Thanks!

soonyeap
Fanfold Paper
Views: 22,849
Message 1418 of 1,653

Lenovo,

Pls advise if if new intel 7265 will work in Yoga 2 Pro and can i buy from Lenovo service center? also will you recall or exchange your buggy 7260 card original equipped with the machine?

kinetix12
Paper Tape
Views: 22,790
Message 1419 of 1,653

Does anyone know if the wifi problems are appearing in the recently manufacured/shipped versions of the Y2P which include the 7260ac card?  I am contemplating moving to a Y3 but the reviews, especially on performance, are less than ideal in some respects. I use this for business largely though an occasional movie, live streaming etc.  I am just perplexed on what to do.  I really like the Y2P but the wifi issue has become a huge distraction and interferes in a material way..

soonyeap
Fanfold Paper
Views: 22,752
Message 1420 of 1,653

We will see what Lenovo says about Intel new ac card 7265

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors