Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gpete
Paper Tape
Views: 3,564
Message 60 of 1,653

Re: Yoga 2 Pro Wifi Problems

I have installed that driver and it didn't do any good.

When I look at the adapter properties the driver indicates:
date of 9/19/2013

version 16.5.3.6.

unknownelementx
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,153
Message 61 of 1,653

@Mark

That linked article states that all machines built after October 5th have the update installed by default. As ALL of the Y2Ps were built after that date, shouldn't that already be installed and irrelevant here?

Also, myself and others seem to have used this update to no avail (presumably because it was already applied to our machines or didn't work). This is the same update I uninstalled in order to get my device to function at all (though it is still not working well)

jgunderson
Paper Tape
Views: 4,142
Message 62 of 1,653

Hi Mark,

Could you explain the reasoning for offering this as a solution? Other posters have raised good points about this update potentially being irrelevant and of course we all want to know that the advice being offered by Lenovo staff is well reasoned and not wasting anyone's time and energy. I trust there is a good reason, but I know your explanation will help those of us frustrated by trying this solution without any benefit.

Thanks,

Josh

smalinoor
What's DOS?
Views: 4,109
Message 63 of 1,653

I had the same problems as everyone was experiencing. I liked the style and the performance of the computer except wifi dropping out every 10 or 15 minutes. I even tried different router and it did not help. I am a microelectronics design engineer wroking for AMD. I pretty much did everything to troubleshoot the problem with no success. Finally out of frustration, I returned the product to best buy few days ago. I will buy the product again if Lenovo has a fix for this problem.  It is definitely not an issue with the router. All my other devices was working properly except this one dropping out in the middle of important task. 

smalinoor
What's DOS?
Views: 4,102
Message 64 of 1,653

I have installed the latest driver as well and it did not help. The only difference I notices was the download and upload speeds improved with the latest driver, but still it drops out the wifi. Anyway, finally I returned the product. I just dont understand, why at Lenovo engineers dont  see this problem? This is not something minor that was easily overlooked.

chuongnguyen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,047
Message 65 of 1,653

I am experiencing the same wifi issues as most here. I purchased my Yoga Pro 2 direct from Lenovo.  Went with the I7, etc.

I have a couple IPads, Iphones, etc and none of them ever had any issues connecting, so I know it's not my router.

I called Lenovo tech and the guy remote access my computer and changed a bunch of settings and it seemed to work better for a day or so.  Connected quickly and stayed connected.  But then today it kept disconnecting and took forever to reconnect.  as a matter of fact, I tried replying to the message and it took me about 10 minutes, b/c I had to keep trying to reconnect, etc.

did a google search and found this forum.  I did try the suggestion to turn off bluetooth and still no good.

called Tech again today and they had no solution for me and told me to call sales to go over my return options or repair option.  I need a good laptop for work, so don't want to go the repair route.  Sales is closed now, but will be calling them tomorrow to return.

I really wanted to like this machine.  when working it is extremely fast, light weight, great screen, etc.  However, the point of a laptop or hybrid/tablet is being mobile, and that means ease of connection to wifi, which is the most basic function.

After reading the responses from the lenovo techs here, they really seem clueless, suggesting installing drivers that were already installed with the machine...what a joke!

medeiom
HDMI
Views: 4,034
Message 66 of 1,653

Just out of curiosity, try uninstalling the wireless adapter from Device Manager.  Reboot and let Windows install its own driver.  It may also go out to Intel's site and download a different driver.

If that does not work, try replacing the wifi card with another and see if the same thing happens.  I think Lenovo should at least honor a $30 payment to customers who replace a wifi card that works.  One user did exactly that.

chuongnguyen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,023
Message 67 of 1,653

@medeiom wrote:

Just out of curiosity, try uninstalling the wireless adapter from Device Manager.  Reboot and let Windows install its own driver.  It may also go out to Intel's site and download a different driver.

If that does not work, try replacing the wifi card with another and see if the same thing happens.  I think Lenovo should at least honor a $30 payment to customers who replace a wifi card that works.  One user did exactly that.

the first tech guy did uninstall the wireless adapter and reinstalled it.  he then changed some settings to keep it connected at all times, including while sleeping.  he said it will drain the battery more, but I rather have good connection.  He even increased my power mode to enhanced.  did a couple other things that I cannot recall off the top of my head.

after all that, it only connected better for 1 day.  Now it's back to the way it was with crappy connections.

Also, I am not skilled enough to replace a wifi card.  I wouldn't even know where to begin and we as customers should not have to go out of our way to do that unless we were buying something we're custom building, it should've come with a good card to begin with. 

But from the sound of it, this seems like a hardware issue, which is not good for those of us with this issue.  wished it was software related so it could be fixed with simple drivers.

gpete
Paper Tape
Views: 4,020
Message 68 of 1,653

I've reinstalled drivers (repeatedly).

Removed the device and let it be re-discovered (repeatedly).

I have downloaded the drivers directly from Intel's site.

As soon as BT is enabled, I lose my connection.

I have verified that all of this is the same when connected to a different router at my office.

I don't think Lenovo would have any reason to give me $30 for purchase of some other part. They could however, provide me with a replacement part and either allow me to install it or provide a repair depot that could install the part for me. After all, this is a warranty issue.

aporter
What's DOS?
Views: 3,998
Message 69 of 1,653

@ Mark

I'm another Yoga 2 owner having this same wifi issue with a model that I purchased from Best Buy. I called in to talk with Lenovo support about the issue, but I was hoping you might have a more in depth knowledge of what's going on. Unfortunately my wifi doesn't function if I'm not within about 20 feet of the router, making the machine about worthless.

Do you have any eta on updated drivers? I've also noticed that it doesn't seem like this issue is effecting all Yoga 2 Pro users but especially those who purchase one of the Best Buy models. Because of this I'm inclined to think it might be bad hardware in the initial production. Do we have an option to have the wireless card replaced at this point?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors