Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

07-06-2014

Usa

5 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 91 of 119

Re: First day: Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro won't turn on anymore

2014-07-06, 2:55 AM
My relatively new Yoga 2 pro 8gb 256gb ssd model is also dead as a door nail. I suspect that I'm over reacting and the battery just needs to be charged but it's suspicious that even plugged in to the wall it does not power up. I mean the only thing that lights up is the power button only when plugged in. Left the laptop in sleep mode maybe too long?

Anyhow I'm not sure I'm covered by warranty as I had replaced the WiFi card successfully for last three months. Luckily I'm a best buy elite plus member and have a 45 day extended return policy and luckily I returned and repurchased the notebook to get a price match and a new receipt. Going to get a Mac instead. Hopefully I have the old WiFi card somewhere. Ugh.. not good.
Options

4 Posts

07-13-2014

Bluffton, IN

3 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 92 of 119

Re: Yoga 2 Pro dead after 1 day!

2014-07-13, 2:29 AM

I've had my Yoga 2 13 for about two months. It just died. Like all the rest. It won't reboot. No power. No lights. No nothing. Spent hours on wiht Lenovo tech support. No luck. They want me to send it to tech support for repairs.

Here's my question. 

I have important data on the hard drive. I know Lenovo tech support will wipe probably the drive. Does anyone know if a local computer shop can open the case and copy the data from the hard drive? I think you can do that with some laptops, but ultrabooks may have everything built into one board.

Any first hand knowledge out there?

Thanks

Mike

Options

5 Posts

07-06-2014

Usa

5 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 93 of 119

2014-07-13, 2:33 AM

wrote:

I've had my Yoga 2 13 for about two months. It just died. Like all the rest. It won't reboot. No power. No lights. No nothing. Spent hours on wiht Lenovo tech support. No luck. They want me to send it to tech support for repairs.

Here's my question. 

I have important data on the hard drive. I know Lenovo tech support will wipe probably the drive. Does anyone know if a local computer shop can open the case and copy the data from the hard drive? I think you can do that with some laptops, but ultrabooks may have everything built into one board.

Any first hand knowledge out there?

Thanks

Mike

You would have to pull the back of the laptop and pull the hard drive out and use an adapter to hook it up to another machine via usb port or something like that. Don't remember the pci sata standard that drive is based on but that would be the first step. Note: doing that likely void the warranty.

Options

4 Posts

07-13-2014

Bluffton, IN

3 Signins

78 Page Views

• Message 94 of 119

2014-07-13, 2:41 AM
Thanks! I don't mind losing the machine for a while. I can find a work around for that. Losing the data would be a major disruption.
Options

4 Posts

07-13-2014

Bluffton, IN

3 Signins

78 Page Views

• Message 95 of 119

2014-07-13, 20:21 PM

Mark,

Are you a Lenovo person?

My Yogo 2 13 died like all the rest. Lenovo tech support told me to ship the machine to them. I will.

However, I can't take a chance of losing the data, so I need to get one of our IT people (at work) to open the case and connect the hard drive to something, so we can copy the data before I return it.

Is that going to void the warranty? I sure hope not. Please let me know. 

If it does, what should I do? I need to get the data ASAP, so I can keep working. Can the tech folks at a Lenovo authorized dealer pull the data without voiding the warranty?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Options

5 Posts

07-06-2014

Usa

5 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 96 of 119

2014-07-13, 20:34 PM
I would go buy an 'msata' external USB enclosure and a hex mini screwdriver and take it apart yourself and pull the hard drive and install it into the enclosure. If your afraid of doing stuff like that have a tech support guy at bestbuy do it for you. Probably would void the warranty but if it's worth it to you then do it. Also I was told by someone they can tell you opened the case because a special seal gets broken. Not sure about that though.
Options

7 Posts

07-17-2014

Switzerland

4 Signins

109 Page Views

• Views: 109
  • Message 97 of 119

2014-07-17, 11:39 AM

I thought I also ought to chime in about my issues.

1.after 30 days of ownership the machine switzed off. The only sign of life was the charging light. So I was lucky that I still had my macbook pro to work on. Well I sent it back to be repaired and John Lewis were quick about it. The motherboard had to be replaced.

2. my phone has dinged the screen, and it is cracked, hardly noticeable, but the touch screen no longer works. This is going to be an expense to me as it is clearly an accident. But it shows the low quality of the glass covering the screen.

3. The cpu is super hot, constantly running between 50-80. I can't keep the laptop anywhere near my lap. I will be returning the machine soon to find out the issue, as the average cpu load is 12-20%.

After 9 years of Macbook Pro ownership, This is a lovely machine. Macbooks always had a tendancy to die, and mine would be repaired under warranty on average once a year. So while I prefer this machine for the design and the OS, if it keeps up like this, I can't stay like this, the faults are too regular. Apple have repair people who you can drop into and get things fixed on the spot. Lenovo products must be shipped off, leaving you without a machine and with a huge inconvenience.

Options

5 Posts

09-03-2014

Vienna

6 Signins

63 Page Views

• Views: 63
  • Message 98 of 119

2014-09-04, 14:06 PM
Bought my Lenovo 8weeks ago
spent 100 hour to configure as I Need it...
yesterday... SUDDENLY DEAD!!!!!!
no power, no charging no reset possible...
ALL DEAD!!!
Options

7 Posts

07-17-2014

Switzerland

4 Signins

109 Page Views

• Views: 109
  • Message 99 of 119

2014-09-08, 10:26 AM
mine was repaired fairly quickly. replacement motherboard, but the drive
was wiped.

Options

4 Posts

09-14-2014

castro valley

3 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 100 of 119

2014-09-14, 18:52 PM

This is crazy that this has happened to so many people.  Sounds like this is a defective product.  I will be calling support tomorrow to get mine fixed.  Just went dead this morning after less than 2 months of use.  This is unacceptable.  I have used laptops for years and never had this happen.

Jeanette

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms