Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Firetribe
Paper Tape
Views: 4,446
Message 24 of 65

Re: Yoga 2 Pro screen flicker

EDIT NOTE : This post was moved to the top of the thread in order to assist us with an escalation. For all further post and comments please continue posting in this thread.

Sent you a PM... I use the latest Energy Management and the latest graphics driver, as well as the latest BIOS version, but the flickering issue persists.

EDIT NOTE : This post was moved to the top of the thread in order to assist us with an escalation. For all further post and comments please continue posting in this thread.

tcj
Punch Card
Views: 5,410
Message 1 of 65

Yoga 2 Pro screen flicker

I just received my fourth Y2P (gave one working one to a family member and sent one back to BB and one direct to Lenovo).  So far all the issues that plagued the other two units I returned are not present on this machine.  I'm a happy camper!  However, there is one issue that is starting to drive me nuts.  I love to read in bed at night with the screen dimmed down to the lowest setting.  On the other three Y2P's I hated that the screen brightness wouldn't go dim enough for my preference (I am more sensitive to bright light than most people) even at the lowest setting.  And I found it odd that you could dim the screen down till it turned off completely (basically making the F9 special function key a complete waste of a key).  However, on this new computer, the screen can dim down much lower than the first three I owned and I can't accidentally use the brightness down key to turn the screen off.  The lowest setting is very low; almost too dim for reading in a pitch black room.  I'm very happy that Lenovo allowed for a much lower brightness setting but there is a major problem - the screen flickers at the lowest three settings.  It's not extremely noticeable but it's definitely there.  Sometimes it's really noticeable, sometimes it's very subtle.  It's easiest to notice when you're scrolling through webpages or as you slowly scroll down as you read text.  It's as if the screen dims as you scroll and then brightens up once you stop.  But it's always flickering a little bit.

I've been reading these forums for months so I've already gone into the three individual settings to disable all automatic/adaptive brightness control options as I've done on all my previous Y2Ps (in Windows metro settings, in control panel and in the Intel Graphics options).   Is there anything else I need to disable now that Lenovo has clearly changed some settings and capabilities of the Y2P?  I understand that this may be a new issue with only new recently shipped Y2Ps as I just received mine from China today.  Anyone else have this problem?  I used to use the free program Screen Dimmer but I don't want to have to open/run a program (which comes with malware upon its download) every time I want to read at night.   Any help is appreciated.

seppyr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,371
Message 2 of 65

I have the same problem. I disabled all 3 adaptive power setting,too. When screen brightness is below ~40% the flickering starts. It is stronger on battery, but it is also visible when connected to the power adapter. I got  the machine on christmas, so it is to late to send it back to amazon. I hoped this would sort out some time, because it seemed driver related, but now i think it is a hardware problem. Any news from lenovo about this? Using a screen dimmer as a workaround is no solution, the battery is empty in about 3 hours - and for a machine which  costs 1600 Euros. This is my 6th laptop and i never experienced something on any other machine. I am thinking about sending it in for repair. Did any one got a machine which does not have the problem?

alexcannas
Punch Card
Views: 5,352
Message 3 of 65

Two things to try:

• First disable the Panel Self Refresh option in the Power options of the Intel HD Control Panel.
  • Then try to set you actual refresh rate to 48Hz instead of 60Hz.

I changed both and have not noticed the problem since, but others have different experience.  

The 2nd option also helps to play 24Hz video smoothly.  With 60Hz refresh, the video will jump after some time to resync (unless you use madVR and reclock).  This is by far more convenient and does not involve interpolation.

tcj
Punch Card
Views: 5,338
Message 4 of 65

There is no option to disable the Panel Self Refresh option in the Power options of the Intel HD Control Panel as you suggested. I tried to change the refresh rate to 48 instead of 60 and the flicker got worse.
alexcannas
Punch Card
Views: 5,333
Message 5 of 65

There is... Intel HD Graphics Control Panel > On Battery > Panel Self Refresh

By default it shows you options for "Plugged in", but the power saving options are visible after clicking the battery link.

tcj
Punch Card
Views: 5,330
Message 6 of 65

I tried that.  The only options are Display Power Saving Technology and Extend Battery Life for Gaming.  Nothing else is there. 

alexcannas
Punch Card
Views: 5,304
Message 7 of 65

Why would you be missing that option? The only thing I can think of, is to update your drivers to the latest intel reference ones...
tcj
Punch Card
Views: 5,294
Message 8 of 65

No idea but attached is what I see on my Y2P.

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

alexcannas
Punch Card
Views: 5,280
Message 9 of 65

You are definitely missing an option... Try to update your drivers from intels website.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors