Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Employee
Views: 25,819
Message 110 of 191

Re: Yoga 2 pro sound problem

Nicksubs,

I was actually looking for a Yoga 2 Pro with a headset port problem.

When you get yours back, please let us know what actions were taken on it, and if they were successful.

Thanks,

Former Employee
Views: 25,888
Message 112 of 191

Based on recent posts, I went back and re-read the entire thread. While this started out as a collection of posts regarding the headset jack, members have also posted about issues with no sound through the speakers. 

This means I have identified two potential issues with the audio on the Yoga 2 Pro. It's possible that one is causing the other, but I don't think Lenovo will know until samples are inhouse.

I will be contacting Maricat to borrow hers, one with no audio through the speakers.

I am still looking to borrow one with no audio through the headset jack (or it takes 30 tries) from someone in the US. Please PM me.

clarybear
Fanfold Paper
Views: 25,883
Message 113 of 191

Did anyone have trouble receiving sound through the headset?

I think you've misunderstood something, Amy.  Typically, we have sound through the headset.  The problem is that no sound comes through the speakers [seemingly] because the laptop thinks the headset is plugged in.  We know this because we receive a Realtek popup telling us that "You just plugged a device into the audio jack," when we have done nothing to the audio jack.

What may be confusing you is one trick that sometimes fixes the problem: when the laptop thinks you have a headset plugged in (but you actually do not), you can go and retrieve your earbuds and jam the 3.5mm plug in and out of the jack a dozen times, then LEAVE it unplugged.  This sometimes results in the computer finally realizing that you indeed do not have anything plugged into the jack, and the sound comes back on through the speakers.  (Another trick, probably accomplishing the same result, is applying pressure with your fingertips on either side of the laptop base where the jack is located - OR tapping aggressively on the laptop directly outside of where the jack is located.)

All the while this is happeneing, sound comes through the headset perfectly.  The problem absolutely has to do with the laptop believing that the headset is plugged in at times when it is not plugged in.  It feels like the speakers are not working, when it is actually that sound information is being mistakenly routed through the audio jack instead.

It has been hypothesized over and over again that there is a mechanical problem at the site of the audio jack which causes the switch to be turned on when there is no plug in place (someone called it a ball mechanism).  I think most of the people who have this problem and have been following this forum are satisfied with this explanation.  We just need Lenovo to also realize this and offer to replace the said mechanism (or audio jack/card entirely).

If someone actually DOES have the reverse problem -  they have sound through speakers but not through the headset - it is logically due to the same exact mechanical problem.  However, instead of this "ball mechanism" switch being stuck in the "on" position, though, it is stuck in the "off" position.

nicksubs
What's DOS?
Views: 25,865
Message 114 of 191

Clarybary nailed this issue on the head.  That description is spot on to what i've been experiencing.  I havent heard of anyone with issues getting audio out of the headphone jack. 

Bradley_NYC
What's DOS?
Views: 25,846
Message 115 of 191

Hi Amy.  I'm new to this thread, but I am having the same problem - no sound from the speakers.  Sound is working fine with headphones.  Is there a way we can be notified once a fix is identified?

bobierk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 25,702
Message 116 of 191

Hi Amy, 

I am also having the problem where my computer says I have plugged a device into my headphone jack, resulting in no sound coming out of my speakers.

spowers101
What's DOS?
Views: 25,637
Message 117 of 191

same happened to me until i downloaded Realtek Audio Driver for 64-bit Windows      http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds037467

You now you able to control the internal speakers

ellingeng123
Fanfold Paper
Views: 25,573
Message 118 of 191

I installed that driver and now I can't find the option you are refering to. Where can I control the internal speakers?

spowers101
What's DOS?
Views: 25,543
Message 119 of 191

right click on speaker icon, choose volume control option. there it should list the device(s) check then apply
Former Employee
Views: 25,507
Message 120 of 191

Update: the reports of problems with audio not issuing from speakers have been recreated by my next level support. Further testing is needed and a delay has been identified that will push work on this back to early to mid-January. Please know that while the process has slowed down, it is still moving forward.

I will aim for providing an update in mid-January.

Thank you for your continued patience,

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors