Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clarybear
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,873
Message 50 of 191

Re: Yoga 2 pro sound problem

Thank you.  I appreciate that someone from Lenovo has finally acknowledged the problem.  That is the first step to fixing it.

If this isn't a high-volume problem (the sound problem), could there be a single manufacturing lot that has these problems?  If so, wouldn't it make sense for us to receive replacement laptops unless/until the problem is fixed?  It's rather harmful for the lenovo reputation for these items to be out in circulation.  Anytime one of my colleagues witnesses this problem - be it the sound not working on a presentation, or the realtek notices popping up in the corner of the screen, I am forced to explain the fact that lenovo sold what appears to be a defective product.

My problem is not very "intermittant," it happens several times a day.  Perhaps a representative can examine my laptop.  I'm sure the problem would happen while they are using it.

clarybear
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,385
Message 51 of 191

As for screen flickering:

I found a quasi-fix for my problem.  I found in another forum somewhere that if you completely disable the auto-brightness, it will stop flickering.  

Obviously, it would be nice if the "auto-brightness" feature actually worked properly, and it is unfortunate that we have to disable it in order to have a functioning visual interface... but I suppose the siutation is analagous to when an escalator breaks down (they are still stairs!).

BUT!  I, and many others, will report that I did shut off auto-brightness (using the touch screen interface settings), and the screen flickering problem persisted.  Unfortunately (and I wish I could merit the original solver here, but I've lost the forum) for reasons unknown, Windows turns auto-brightness back on without your permission on a regular basis.  So, if you shut it off from the preferences menu, it comes right back on.  For me, this made me think that auto-brightness was not the issue causing the flickering.

However - when I went deep into advanced settings (not super easy to find on 8.1), I manually disabled "adaptive brightness," and now my screen flickering is gone (it's been about 2 weeks).

So, to recap:

"Adaptive brightness" appears to be broken, and this causes the flickering.

Shutting it off via:

"right swipe">Settings>Change PC settings>Power and sleep>Adjust my screen brightness automatically>No

--DOES NOT WORK to disable auto-bright.

Instead, shutting off via:

"right click on the windows icon">Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Power Options>Change Plan Settings>Change advanced power settings>Display>Enable Adaptive Brightness>Off

--WILL work to disable auto-bright (at least for a decent amount of time..).

Just now - even entering the "Power and sleep" settings (in order to detail the path above) turned my adaptive brightness back on - EVEN THOUGH I didn't change a single setting.

fab333
Paper Tape
Views: 2,286
Message 52 of 191

Same sound problem here.

- bought yoga 2 pro 2 months ago ; was working fine

- msgs started to pop up telling me an audio jack was being plugged / unplugged on a random basis, after a month

- now the speakers don't work anymore (the headphones work fine however)

None of the suggestions of this forum has fixed it (even temporarily): plugging / unplugging repeatedly the jack, reinstalling drivers, tapping the side of the laptop, switching on and off the sound, enabling / disabling audio devices etc...

thanks for your help on this.

splus
Token Ring
Views: 2,272
Message 53 of 191

@clarybear wrote:

As for screen flickering:

I found a quasi-fix for my problem.  I found in another forum somewhere that if you completely disable the auto-brightness, it will stop flickering.  

Obviously, it would be nice if the "auto-brightness" feature actually worked properly, and it is unfortunate that we have to disable it in order to have a functioning visual interface... but I suppose the siutation is analagous to when an escalator breaks down (they are still stairs!).

BUT!  I, and many others, will report that I did shut off auto-brightness (using the touch screen interface settings), and the screen flickering problem persisted.  Unfortunately (and I wish I could merit the original solver here, but I've lost the forum) for reasons unknown, Windows turns auto-brightness back on without your permission on a regular basis.  So, if you shut it off from the preferences menu, it comes right back on.  For me, this made me think that auto-brightness was not the issue causing the flickering.

However - when I went deep into advanced settings (not super easy to find on 8.1), I manually disabled "adaptive brightness," and now my screen flickering is gone (it's been about 2 weeks).

So, to recap:

"Adaptive brightness" appears to be broken, and this causes the flickering.

Shutting it off via:

"right swipe">Settings>Change PC settings>Power and sleep>Adjust my screen brightness automatically>No

--DOES NOT WORK to disable auto-bright.

Instead, shutting off via:

"right click on the windows icon">Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Power Options>Change Plan Settings>Change advanced power settings>Display>Enable Adaptive Brightness>Off

--WILL work to disable auto-bright (at least for a decent amount of time..).

Just now - even entering the "Power and sleep" settings (in order to detail the path above) turned my adaptive brightness back on - EVEN THOUGH I didn't change a single setting.

Not sure why is this in the sound thread, but - you need to disable adaptive brightness in all 3 places to completely turn it off.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Yoga-2-Pro-Auto-brightness-feature-and-ho...

The option in Intel graphics panel isn't really an "adaptive brightness", but more of adjusting the display quality and brightness based on what's displayed on the screen at that moment. Kind of a different thing, but unlike adaptive brightness it saves some battery. I keep it on, but have adaptive brightness set to off in Windows 8 settings, and in display settings in all Battery power plans. That keeps the adaptive brightness always off.

fab333
Paper Tape
Views: 2,252
Message 54 of 191

Regarding the sound issue on the yoga, has anyone tried to disable headphone jack detection (by playing with regedit for example)? See http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/622035-disabling-headphone-jack-detection-2.html

If it is indeed a hardware pb, then the best solution would be to have a manual switch between headphones and internal speakers. Can't be that difficult to implement... Lenovo team?

deamonlang
Paper Tape
Views: 2,184
Message 55 of 191

Yoga 2 pro does mute itself

Hi all,

I'm very dissapointed about my issue. My lenovo y2p mute itself. When unmute it changes status tu mute within a few soconds itself. I've got this pc over a month. This issue started yesterday.

Any idea how to fix this issue? Do you recommend reinstal audio driver?

Didn't want to reinstall audio driver or whole os before get some recommendation from more skilled users.

Many thanks for quick answer.

Deamonlang

indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,178
Message 56 of 191

Re: Yoga 2 pro does mute itself

Uninstall the driver and try to use window's default audio drivers.
walkernewberg
What's DOS?
Views: 2,057
Message 57 of 191

To read that so many users have this problem is so sad. Why buy the most expensive notebook in the store to inherit a problem thats been troubling users for over a year. I've tried all the easy stuff. Jack in out >30x, mute,un mute, speaker defaults in control panel. If all of us had returned our machines the first time instead of blogging here and self medicating would it have made any difference? Is Lenova just good marketing, bad product?

tony007
Paper Tape
Views: 2,048
Message 58 of 191

Well, I had thought about returning at first but then there were no models from any manufacturer at that time they met my requirements so closely. The display is gorgeous, specification is good, it is light and small enough, excellent keyboard etc. For that reason I kept it. Moreover my sound problem never came back after I did the 30 times plug-in plug out one time.

walkernewberg
What's DOS?
Views: 2,040
Message 59 of 191

I've given up. I agree about the product, however, it's inconceivable a
quality company could ignore a year of user negative feedback on one issue.
I'm sending my unit back. I couldn't recommend a Lenovo to anyone.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors