Options

1 Posts

01-03-2020

US

1 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 1 of 2

Record keeping of fixing Yoga 920 auto-rotation: disable and re-enable HID Sensor Collection V2

2020-01-03, 21:46 PM

This is more of a record keeping rather than asking a question... I had this issue earlier today where my Yoga 920's auto-rotating function failed.

(1) Symptoms:

When I physically flip the machine, the display orientation does not change. Also, when the screen is folded back (360 degrees on the hinge) the keyboard and trackpad are still functioning, which they shouldn't be. In Display Settings, the Rotation Lock option under Display Orientation was completely missing, as well as the same option in the Notification Area (win+A).

(2) Debugging:

First and most obvious, I tried restarting the computer, but this didn't fix the problem. I looked up previous forum topics and tried some methods, like disabling/restarting the YMC service and such but with no success. At this point, I figured that this is probably a sensor issue because the computer is not detecting that I have flipped the screen, and have prepared for the worst, which was that the sensor might have been physically damaged. 

Since I was 90% sure that this is a sensor problem, I opened the device manager and to no surprise saw that there was an exclamation mark on HID Sensor Collection V2 under Sensors.

(3) Trying to fix it

I tried updating the drivers in the Device's Properties. This didn't fix it, because Microsoft tells me the best driver is installed ("Yeah, whatever"). 

Now here's what worked for me: I then disabled HID Sensor Collection V2 (right click on it - Disable device or alternatively, Properties - Driver - Disable device, and confirm all the way), restarted the system, and came back to Device Manager and Enable device again.

Thankfully the sensors came back up. After some 20 seconds or so I saw the "Autorotation: ON" on the top left of the screen, and the auto-rotation function was back up, and the keyboard and trackpad were properly disabled when I fold the screen back.

In the Display Settings, the Rotation Lock option was back but grayed out, as is the same option in the Notification area. But since the auto-rotation function is back I'm happy for now.

(4) Conclusions

After identifying the problem, I searched "HID Sensor Collection V2" on the forum and found similar problem reports, but most of them were pretty long ago. So I just wanted to write this down in case anyone would meet the same or similar problems in the future.

For me, disabling and re-enabling the device solved it. On previous forum topics, I saw others uninstalling the driver, and that simply solved it. There is no need for messing around with the registry, reinstalling the whole OS, not even opening up the machine. It's easy to blame Microsoft for imperfect software implementations, it's also easy to blame Lenovo for imperfect support. But sometimes the problem itself isn't that hard to pinpoint and even solve. 

Options

379 Posts

11-04-2019

PH

114 Signins

4667 Page Views

• Views: 4667
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Record keeping of fixing Yoga 920 auto-rotation: disable and re-enable HID Sensor Collection V2

2020-01-04, 14:30 PM

Hi ,

Thank you for the detailed explanation of the Issue and solution that you found for it. This will definitely help fellow Community members that may encounter the same issue.

Again, many Thanks,

Jeremy

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebppl and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete