Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steinx2
Paper Tape
Views: 7,188
Message 1 of 10

Replace SSD on my Lenovo yoga 710-14ISK i7 6500U 8G RAM 256G SSD

Hi. Can anybody advice me if its possible to replace the original ssd on my Lenovo yoga 710-14ISK i7 6500U 8G RAM 256G SSD with the SanDisk X400 1TB? Will it fit, will it give the computer the same speed and smoothness in work as the original SSD gives? And how can I boot the computer on the new SSD? Thanks for any help.

galacticfish
What's DOS?
Views: 7,099
Message 2 of 10

Re: Replace SSD on my Lenovo yoga 710-14ISK i7 6500U 8G RAM 256G SSD

I have the Yoga 710 15 inch and I believe they use the same type of SSD, which is an M.2 Sata.  That being the case, yes the SSD can be changed easily-- it's a small card held in by a single screw.  Any work you perform yourself voids the warranty, unless you have an authorized service center do it.  

The easiest way to do the upgrade is to buy a USB M.2 SSD transfer case.  It's just a small drive housing that you temporarily install your new SSD into, which you then plug it into your laptop. Using a free cloning program you can then copy everything off the SSD in your Yoga to the new SSD and no worries about resintalling windows or your other programs.  There are many videos online that will show you how to do it, just search for "cloning ssd".  

Guru
Views: 7,079
Message 3 of 10

In addition, here are some resources that'll help guide your way through the replacement process: https://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/showcase?sid=1170&key=TGVuZw==

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Steinx2
Paper Tape
Views: 7,065
Message 4 of 10

Thank you very much! Very usefull information you gave there. The only thing I am worried about is if the ScanDisk x400 will work slower than the original SSD. Do you know if my Lenovo has SATA II or SATA III?
Steinx2
Paper Tape
Views: 7,063
Message 5 of 10

Thanks again! This is a very informative page! I appreciate your help very much!
Guru
Views: 7,061
Message 6 of 10

Sure, no problem! The Yoga 710 supports M.2 Type SSD. Here's the PSREF for reference: http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool%5CSys/PDF/Lenovo%20Tablets%20_%20Convertibles/YOGA%20710%20(14_)/Yog...

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Steinx2
Paper Tape
Views: 7,060
Message 7 of 10

Hi again. By the way, when I read the instructions to remove the ssd, its written "remove the batery cable". Is that the charging cable or is it a cable inside the pc. If inside the PC, they didn't show which cable that is. What do you think?
Guru
Views: 7,056
Message 8 of 10

I think they mean the actual battery cable inside the laptop. I reviewed the HMM- it doesn't look like the SSD sits under the battery, or the battery needs to be removed first. I replaced SSDs before without disconnecting power and it works fine. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

Steinx2
Paper Tape
Views: 7,044
Message 9 of 10

Thanks again! The reason why I asked about SATA version, is because when I ask SanDisk if their SanDisk x400 will work as fast as the original ssd,in my PC they answer the following: "the SATA III X400 drive will have a limited speed on the SATA II port", refering to the page: http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8142/kw/sata They seems to conclude that its SATA II in my PC. Therefore I am worried that SanDisk x400 1TB as I plan to buy, will work slower than the original ssd. What do you think?
Steinx2
Paper Tape
Views: 7,043
Message 10 of 10

OK, thanks! How will Windows, and other licence based programs (eg. MS Office) work from a cloned disk? Will they work normal and will they be possible to update?
Top Kudoed Authors