03-11-2015

CA

180 Signins

820 Page Views

• Views: 820
  • Message 1 of 4

Returning Yoga 3 14

2015-03-26, 3:00 AM

well, too many things have been happening that i finally decided to return my yoga for a replacement before my 30 days was up. kept hoping the glitches would be just random occurances, but it's looking more like the unit is a lemon, or at least I hope that's all that it is. I had a yoga 2 11 previously and it ran flawlessly... so the issues with the 3 are a bit concerning...

Issues I've come accross:

- Fan was stuck out of box. got it working (albeit a number hours after it had been running...and running hot) by tapping on the bottom, but now there's a buzz during it's operation, which is more pronounced depending on the angle of the device..

- Clock rate wouldn't go above it's minimum rate, regardless of power settings, unless I unplugged and replugged the power, or rebooted..

- system will go into sleep mode when converting from tablet to laptop...sleep mode was disabled in power settings...power button still puts systems to sleep as well...

- and the worse issue so far...when coming back from sleep, the touch screen will sometimes go crazy, with multiple visible touchpoints appearing all over the place. only way to get it to stop is to shut down and restart..

if it weren't for these issues, I'd be pretty happy with the system.. I really like the versitility of the system, which is what prompted me to get the yoga 2 originally...battery life has been great as well, getting anywhere from 6 to 9 hrs of life so far.

Like I said, I really hoping I have a lemon; Most of the items above could probably be easily fixed with a power management update. the fan most likely needs to get replaced, but the touch screen issue is a bit baffling...

Anyway, got my RMA.. a bit concerned here too cause they said I could keep the laptop while I wait for the replacement, however the RMA email said I had 10 days to return it..guess we'll wait and see. also disapointing that I can't swap the ssd's between the systems like I usually could do with office laptops, but alas...at least with the ssd's, install's are pretty **bleep** quick; another big plus - the boot up/shutdowns on this system is freakin' fast..less than 5 seconds to get to desktop...by comparison, it takes a good 10-15 seconds, sometimes more, to boot our surface 3's at the office..huge difference..

anyway, will post results. If anyone can post on their recent RMA process experiences, it would be appreciated...

cheers!

Steph S.

Options

10 Posts

06-22-2015

United States

5 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Returning Yoga 3 14

2015-06-22, 23:40 PM
I ended up going into device manager and disabling the touchscreen. It's so freaking annoying. Paying so much for this one, I should not be having this problem. It's clearly an issue model-wide. All over the web too.

Your issue with the click rate is most likely because it's over heating because the fan is jacked. When compiling video our playing left 4 dead 2 in 1080, I pop back over to the task manager and see it running above the 2.4GHz at around 2.85GHz.
-Over a decade in hardware and software and mobile support all major operating systems.
Options

31 Posts

04-26-2015

Washington D.C.

110 Signins

646 Page Views

• Views: 646
  • Message 3 of 4

2015-06-23, 15:17 PM

i'm professional and i have only one problem with the fans whistle on low speed.

Options

10 Posts

06-22-2015

United States

5 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 4 of 4

2015-06-23, 15:38 PM

i can see the fans having problems for how incredibly tiny they are. i just compiled another video last night in 4k. It ramped up to 2.85Ghz as suspected and the fans did too. kept it nice and cool. much better than the first gen yoga 13's where my hand would get too hot to use it because the drive stayed pretty hot, and had to elevate the bottom because the processor couldn't cool itself as well as the new one does.

you're probably going to need to get that repaired. also assuming you don't have it in energy efficient mode

-Over a decade in hardware and software and mobile support all major operating systems.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete