Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CopperOrange
Paper Tape
Views: 566
Message 1 of 6

Settings Crashing/Not Working

I have a Lenovo YOGA 3, and it is about a year old. This problem has only come up recently. Every time I open the settings, it displays the menu with no problem, but as soon as I click any setting, there is a long pause, then it just closes. I cannot change my date & time settings, or connect to the internet as I cannot access the settings to do it in. Strangely, I can access the Bluetooth settings, but nothing else.
Please help, I have tried other methods but to no avail. 

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 549
Message 2 of 6

Re: Settings Crashing/Not Working

• What version of Windows are you running
  • By "Settings, are you talking about the settings options accessed via pressing the Windows Key + A   and selecting All Settings?
  • Normally you can just change the date/time by right clicking on the time/date in the lower right; is that not opening too?

If so, then you might have some corrupt Windows System Files or disk errors, so try the following steps and see if they help.

Run a disk check   (This will scan for errors in the Windows filesystem)

• Right Click on Start and selectCommand Prompt (admin)
  • Type:chkdsk c: /f   and press Enter.
  • When prompted, type Y to schedule disk check on next boot
  • Reboot and let disk check run; it wil reboot into Windows automatically once completed.

Test the settings, and if still not working, continue on and run the SFC scan

Run a System File Check (SFC) scan  (this will check for corrupt Windows System Files.)

• Right Click on Start and select Command Prompt (admin)
  • Type: sfc /scannowand press Enter
  • Let the disk check run (it could take 30 minutes or more)
  • At the end of the SFC scan, it will report that it either found no errors, found errors but fixed them all, or found errors but was not able to fix all of them.

If  the SFC scan was unable to fix all of the errors, then you would need to run the DISM utility to update the local Windows Component Store,  and then run the SFC Scan again to repair the files using the updated files downloaded by DISM.

Run DISM

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet, and close all programs
  • Right Click on the Start Menu and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • Type:  Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth  and press Enter 

Note:   After running the DISM utility successfully, you must run the System File Checker again to fix any corrupted system files left unrepaired earlier using the new files retrieved using DISM.

Cheers,

CopperOrange
Paper Tape
Views: 505
Message 3 of 6

I am running Windows 10.
Yes, I am talking about the 'All Settings' from the Windows + A.
No, I cannot change the date & time from the corner, it does the same as the settings.

I ran the disk check and it did not work.
Then, I ran the SFC scan, and I it successfully started, but got to 'Verification 22% complete' and then came up with the message 'Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation'.

I haven't run DISM yet, should I still do that?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 490
Message 4 of 6

It sounds like you will have to run the SFC Scan in Windows 10 safe mode and then once in safe mode, run the SFC Scan again.

See Option 2 in the guide below to use the  the Shift + Restart combination

to enter Safe Mode.

4 Ways to boot into Safe Mode in Windows 10

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

Once in Safe Mode follow steps earlier to run the SFC scan.

If the SFC Scan cannot repair all of the items and you need to run DISM, you many need to run that in Safe Mode as well, but if so, be sure to choose Safe Mode with Networking as it needs Internet access.    Also note that Safe Mode with Networking will probably not be able to connect via WiFi, so you will need to used an Ethernet cable directly to your Internet router.

BTW Just to clarify, did the disk check run successfully, but did not fix the problem, or did it fail to run the disk check on restart?     

Good Luck,

CopperOrange
Paper Tape
Views: 475
Message 5 of 6

Yes, the disk check ran successfully but did not fix the problem.
I have just rebooted using option 2, but after the 'Windows 10 notifies you that you can restart your device in order to change advanced boot options, including enabling Safe Mode. Press Restart.' stage, it did not restart it, but turned it off. I tried it again, and did the same.
Sorry to pile up the problems, but what should I do now? Should I try the other methods of getting into safe mode?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 468
Message 6 of 6

Yes,  either one is fine,  I just presumed that the Settings method may not work. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors