Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LeoBloom
Punch Card
Views: 3,492
Message 1 of 34

Should I avoid the Yoga?

After looking at quite a few laptops, none of them stick out as much as the Yoga. I am in love with the vibrant IPS screen with the 1600x900 resolution display (because 1080p makes text too small and I don't believe in switching DPI). The design is sleek - it looks very simple and elegant.

But it seems that there are many, many issues with the device. I understand that the constantly-on fan and touchpad can be fixed with driver updates or BIOS updates but now there are threads popping up with physical problems such as the fan hitting the housing - thus making a rattling noise - and that the paint is starting to chip off.

Still it's impossible to tell what percentage of Yoga owners are having issues so I was just hoping that you guys could chime in and say what happened to your Yoga i.e. have you kept it, if you are keeping it - does it have issues that you are dealing with, or have you returned it because the issues were too much to bear.

rzp2003
HDMI
Views: 3,480
Message 2 of 34

Re: Should I avoid the Yoga?

about the fan noise and the paints, did you go to a local bestbuy to check it out for yourself? Rub the body with your hands to see if the painst will come off? Ultimately your own eyes and ears are your best advisor. 

@LeoBloom wrote:
After looking at quite a few laptops, none of them stick out as much as the Yoga. I am in love with the vibrant IPS screen with the 1600x900 resolution display (because 1080p makes text too small and I don't believe in switching DPI). The design is sleek - it looks very simple and elegant.

But it seems that there are many, many issues with the device. I understand that the constantly-on fan and touchpad can be fixed with driver updates or BIOS updates but now there are threads popping up with physical problems such as the fan hitting the housing - thus making a rattling noise - and that the paint is starting to chip off.

Still it's impossible to tell what percentage of Yoga owners are having issues so I was just hoping that you guys could chime in and say what happened to your Yoga i.e. have you kept it, if you are keeping it - does it have issues that you are dealing with, or have you returned it because the issues were too much to bear.

LeoBloom
Punch Card
Views: 3,475
Message 3 of 34

I did go to a bestbuy to check it out. I didn't hear the fan in the bestbuy display model but people here seem to point out that it gets annoying in otherwise quiet environments which the bestbuy is not.
ecofunkological
Punch Card
Views: 3,452
Message 4 of 34

As soon as I get my yoga shipped to me in a few months, I'll let you know. It seems after the first wave of sales, they are now unavailable and aren't expected to ship anymore until 2013.  Lenovo has been quiet about this and I think they should be more transparent as it would establish trust with their customer base. Hopefully, they are just addressing issues before shipping out the next wave of yogas, but who knows.

ammarr
Punch Card
Views: 3,435
Message 5 of 34

I bought the yoga and returned it because of

a) wireless issues,

b) mushy keyboard (not a huge deal) and

c) reports of paint chipping. I checked out the yoga @ my local best buy and the paint at the corners was chipped. I didn't want to wait for it to happen to me so I returned it.

FWIW it is the best of all touch screen laptops out there and I really wish lenovo hadn't skimped out in these 3 issues. But a >$1000 laptop shouldn't have basic issues such as these.

feliciasnh
Punch Card
Views: 3,435
Message 6 of 34

Other than my fan constantly running in a normal manner (no excessive noise), I have been very happy with my purchase.  I bought mine on 11/13, and have been using it as my primary personal laptop ever since.  I don't have any paint issues, I haven't had any touch pad issues, and only once have I seen the "soft keyboard pop up and disappear" issue.  A reboot fixed that.  

I did run the Lenovo hotfix to merge C: and D: and gave me a total of about 100GB usable hard drive.  I have a 64GB SD card that I keep my music on now.  Prior to this laptop, I had a 128GB SSD in my old Dell, so I was already using a 1TB external hard drive for music and photos.  So for me, this system has plenty of storage, I just use SD cards now for my photos and music if I want to take them with me and won't have internet connectivity. 

if I had to complain about anything, I'd want better battery life.  I think that the battery gets sucked dry pretty quick when I'm watching streaming video, which is a big chunk of what I use this laptop for.   I have tweaked the power controls a bit, but could probably tweak them even further to eek out some more time on the battery.

I love the touch screen - it makes web browsing so intuitive.  And I haven't had any issues with the touch screen responsiveness itself.  I do have a hard time hitting some of the smaller controls, like the X to close a tab on Chrome.  IE does definitely work better than Chrome does for me, but I can just go back to using the trackpad for the finer navigation when I need to.  

So, YMMV of course, but I am happy with this lightweight gadget that is replacing my old Dell and my Android tablet.

-Felicia

LeoBloom
Punch Card
Views: 3,402
Message 7 of 34

Thanks very much for all your replies, guys. Keep them coming!

It's really good to know why you've decided to keep something and why you've decided to return it.

Thank you for your input Felicia, because we don't have enough positive feedback on these forums (which is more important than reviews on Amazon, for instance, since all of you know about the issues other Yoga owners are having.)

Babyboy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,314
Message 8 of 34

LeoBloom,

I think you would be very happy with a Yoga 13. The day Windows 8 was released, I went to my Local BestBuy in search of a tablet with a Core i5 processor. I REALLY wanted a stand alone tablet that ran full Windows 8. At the time, the only tablet available at BestBuy was the Asus RT tablet with detachable keyboard. I played with it for a while to get familiar with the OS, but there was no way that I would spend $600 for a 32gb RT tablet. I initially had my mind set on an Acer Iconia w700 or a Samsung Smart PC Pro, but they hadn't been released yet . A blessing in disguise.

Then, I saw the Yoga 13. Honestly, before spending any time with the Yoga, I thought the ability for it to rotate from an ultrabook into a tablet was sorta "gimmicky".  Once I got my hands on it, I noticed that this was not a gimmick, but instead, a very solid machine that I could see myself using on a regular basis.

Here's what lured me to the Yoga 13:

--Full Windows 8 installed

--Large nice display.

--Very sturdy hinges that rotate 180 degrees.

--Solid build quality. Nice leathery palm rest.

--Having the option to have a keyboard or precision pointing when needed without having to worry about misplacing a detachable keyboard. (Don't think I could use an on-screen keyboard full-time. Especially on a 10" or 11" display)

--Multiple USB ports without the need of a hub or docking station.

--Uses the same Standard SD as my digital camera  

--Very upgradeable. (I learned this after making the purchase)

--You get all of this for $1000

I ordered my Yoga 13 from BestBuy on 11/2 and picked it up on 11/7. I could've returned it within 30 days if I saw something better. Fortunately, I didn't. I mean, this system is so upgradeable with the ability to swap out the 4gb memory card for an 8gb card, and add an EXTRA 128gb or 256gb mSATA card. Crucial.com has the 8gb memory card for $38 and the mSATA cards are $106 and $206. I purchased a 1 year warranty and 1year tech support through BestBuy. Once I get the 8gb memory card and mSATA card, BestBuy will install it as long as it's compatible.

As for the issues,

Yes, the fan is always on, but it's not overwhelming at all. You only notice it in low volume environments or when you think about it. You won't really notice it with everyday sounds such as TV noise, chatter, etc. Besides, I'd rather hear a little fan noise than having a hot ultrabook.  I haven't had problems with it being hot or the fan hitting the housing or the paint chipping off, but I treat this thing like a baby. A $1000 baby. I have the Lenovo Slot-In case for it and I put that in another case for traveling. The Slot-In case also doubles as a keyboard cover for those that feel uncomfortable when the keys are resting on your palm in tablet mode.

The touchpad is hit and miss when bringing up the charms or menu bar, but I believe it will be fixed.

I recommend that you purchase a stylus as the 13.3" screen can be a lot of area to cover while in tablet mode, and it reduces finger prints on the screen. This also helps when the touchpad is as responsive.

My only gripe is the horrible partitioning on this device out of the box. As already mentioned, there is a hotfix that combines the C and D drives, but you will have 80gb free, not 100gb. The total C drive is 100gb using 20gb for the OS and apps. The rest must be hidden for Recovery. No worries. Pop in a 64gb SD card and you will have !40gb of free space, or purchase another 120gb or 256gb drive if needed. I was impressed that Lenovo made this fix in less than a month after it's release. 

Well that's about all I can think of. I hope this helps. Good luck!! 

LeoBloom
Punch Card
Views: 3,270
Message 9 of 34

Wow, impressive review Babyboy.

You've definitely impressed me to enough to reconsider getting the ultrabook from bestbuy to try it out for those 30 days.

Now I just have to wait until BB gets it in stock again... Sigh.
Babyboy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,164
Message 10 of 34

LeoBloom,

I was in the same position as you are when I ordered my Yoga. It was UNAVAILABLE across the state in my zip code search, so I decided to go into Bestbuy on a Friday evening to inquire about ordering one. I was told that the Yoga would arrive Tuesday if I had ordered it then. I was surprised and skeptical, but I ordered it anyway. I thought "If it arrives, great, If not, I'll get a refund if the date is pushed back too far." That Tuesday morning, I checked the BB website and saw that the Yoga was now AVAILABLE across the State. Shortly after the store opened, I received an email stating that my order was ready for pickup. Looking back, It appeared that I luckily got a head start on a shipment that was en route.

The least you can do is inquire about placing an order just to see if there will be any Yogas shipped in the near future. Once you get a date, jump on it quick, fast, and in a hurry. It may have been only a couple of days after I picked up my Yoga that they were unavailable across the state again.

Good luck. Despite what you may hear in these forums, these things aren't flying off the shelves for nothing.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors