Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dumbth
SCSI Port
Views: 1,721
Message 21 of 34

Re: Addressing concerns over the yoga

Netnative, do not assume yoga is being mass produced with defective wifi... it is not so for everyone. My yoga 13 had the best wifi reception of any device i have owned, and had none of the fan or other problems mentioned here. Unfortunately it completely failed in two weeks, but i have ordered another... the design is just so good.
netnative
Punch Card
Views: 1,679
Message 22 of 34

Thank you for your post. I understand what you mean by "the design is just so good". As soon as I saw the Yoga at Best Buy I decided that it was the ultrabook I wanted. But with the reports of Wi-Fi connectivity problems, I am now undecided. My current laptop is a Sony VAIO Z1 (2010) which is the best personal computer I have owned: hybrid graphics, a 321-nit LCD display, 384GB SSD (actually 3 x 128 GB in a RAID 0 array), and a DVD drive but having a weight of only 3.04 lbs. It is going to be difficult to find a Windows 8 touch ultrabook that offers as much as the Sony VAIO Z1.

@dumbth wrote:
Netnative, do not assume yoga is being mass produced with defective wifi... it is not so for everyone. My yoga 13 had the best wifi reception of any device i have owned, and had none of the fan or other problems mentioned here. Unfortunately it completely failed in two weeks, but i have ordered another... the design is just so good.

ElDominio
Punch Card
Views: 1,504
Message 23 of 34

I had WiFi issues when I got my Yoga, but it took me about 15 minutes to solve.

The issue, I narrwoed it down to being my own local network (and probably this is the issue everyone has)
The Yoga (and many newer devices) dislike WPA-TKIP, and run miles better on WPA2-TKIP. I suggest anyone having problems with the WiFi try switching their network encryptions instead of blaming the machine.

But aside from this (and the weak trackpad drivers and the spongy keyboard), I love this computer. It's the reason I moved over from the Apple ecosystem.

netnative
Punch Card
Views: 1,497
Message 24 of 34

@ElDominio wrote:

I had WiFi issues when I got my Yoga, but it took me about 15 minutes to solve.

The issue, I narrwoed it down to being my own local network (and probably this is the issue everyone has)
The Yoga (and many newer devices) dislike WPA-TKIP, and run miles better on WPA2-TKIP. I suggest anyone having problems with the WiFi try switching their network encryptions instead of blaming the machine.

But aside from this (and the weak trackpad drivers and the spongy keyboard), I love this computer. It's the reason I moved over from the Apple ecosystem.

Thank you for your post. This is useful. Can you please post your "Link Speed" as shown by the Windows Task Manager?

fkacct
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,478
Message 25 of 34

Don't waste your time with this laptop!  Even with no problems, it is subpar for what it is.  The hard disk controller is an SATA II eventhough the actual drive is a SATA III.  I had the Asus UX31A (non touch version) before this laptop and it was much more responsive and without any of the problems of this laptop.  The only reason I switched for this is because I thought it was similar with the addition of touchscreen! You can get a refurb now for close to $600, these refurbs are all the laptops people have been returning..... 

copa
Punch Card
Views: 1,459
Message 26 of 34

Betreff: Should I avoid the Yoga?

Dont buy it. Overpriced. Bluetooth audio stream is not working correctly. Always lags.
The noise is pretty annoying.
Sometimes touchscreen issues.
The device sometimes is in the wrong ladscape or portrait mode and you wont get it out of this mode.
Take you money and buy another one.
ElDominio
Punch Card
Views: 1,447
Message 27 of 34

Haven't had problems like thoseeither, solated cases  should not dictate an otherwise great system

ElDominio
Punch Card
Views: 1,436
Message 28 of 34

Cursed keyboard
Cyrrhus
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,383
Message 29 of 34

Hi all,

Yes the Yoga is an innovative design, no one matches it yet in this aspect.

HOWEVER :

My own experience with the Yoga 13 is that not even a week after purchasing my brand new Yoga 13 I experienced 3 issues :

1) Defective wireless connections (WiFi & Bluetooth) causing stuttering Streaming Music play from my Yoga 13 to Bluetooth speakers (works fine with an old HP laptop and my Galaxy S2 phone which is 10 times smaller)

2) Fan Mechanical Grinding Noise

3) Display Auto Rotation Failure (see my video at www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlzRMngnGM0).

I called Lenovo Support France which after the "One-Touch" recovery procedure asked me to send my computer to a Lenovo Repair Station in Germany.

After 3 weeks I received my laptop back with a paper stating that only the Fan Assembly repair had been performed. Which indeed was repaired (even if the Fans are still loud there is no more mechanical grinding noise). No mention of Weak Wireless connections and Display Auto rotate failure. Not even linked to the initial diagnosis by Lenovo France Tech Support. It even came back with the keyboard loose (giving this hollow sound when typing on the upper center-right area of the keyboard).

I complained on the customer support post-repair feedback and I received a call from Lenovo Support France yesterday, asking me to return the unit, again, for warranty repair and that this time they would get a complete look at everything. So, I will send my Yoga away for 3 more weeks.

6 weeks of unavailability, with many issues not fixed. I paid 1200€...

I have been on this forum since my acquisition of the Yoga 13. I have asked many questions and received few answers. Mark, from Lenovo Staff, is doing his Customer Representative job in minimizing the issues, which I understand (I am myself a Customer Support professional), but with all due respect there are too many unsolved issues and few Customer Support fixes.

When I see the amount of issues being reported by Yoga 13 users on Lenovo Community support forums, how much they try to fix it, to provide clues to Lenovo tech support, to have their problems found, it seems there is a ridiculous difference between customer implication and customer support reaction. Unfortunately, one or two posts by Lenovo Staff is not good enough.

People have paid a significant amount of money for this supposed top-notch product and they are being delivered a non mature machine with flaws that do not seem to be taken seriously by Lenovo. No specific communication or acknowledgement on some of these issues have been made, no retrofit organized to help users get the product they paid for and of course, no commercial policy to manage customer discontent.

Customer Support is completely invisble : no communication, no fix, no plan, no commercial gesture... This is my first and last Lenovo Purchase and will NOT recommend it.

Because a coll aesthetic is not all. When you buy the Yoga 13 you buy the tent mode : except it doesn't always work as in my video hereabove. When you cannot play your WiFi streaming music on your Bluetooth speakers in the same room but your 2-year-old smartphone can, in your pocket and in another room then it's not normal.

But again, it is all about Customer Support Policy : you can have a innovative product with maturity issues. But in that case you need a Customer Support Policy. There is nothing here.

If my Yoga comes back with the same issues I will be returning it and posting a bad review in the website where I bought it. Because at the end, customer's have a voice that need to be heard !

clriis
SCSI Port
Views: 1,370
Message 30 of 34

Why not use WPA2-AES? as TKIP is not supported when using 802.11n (according to my router)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors