Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

12-12-2013

USA

63 Signins

396 Page Views

• Views: 396
  • Message 1 of 21

Should I buy the Y2P?

2013-12-12, 13:45 PM

So I am in the market to buy a new computer. However, after reading this forum, I have a few concern.

• Wifi instability seems to be an issue
  • The yellow color does not seem to be 100% fix under certain energy modes and there is still a green tint to the yellow color.
  • The computer constantly wakes up while inside your bag
  • Bluetooth connection is extremely choppy
  • Some user reports that the current BIOS (which is used to fix the yellow color) causes their fan to go crazy
  • The 1800p is a gimmick since no-one can really use that resolution successfully with all programs
  • The USB 3.0 port is extremely underpowered
  • The screen flickers and often experience light bleed or dead pixels
  • The MicroHMI port requires certain cables because Lenovo's poorly designed microHDMI port
  • Some users have reported that the screen has cracked after opening and closing the computer X amount of times.

Frankly, it seems like the Y2P has way too many issues. Is it worth buying, even with all these issues?

Options

17 Posts

11-14-2013

Ohio, USA

90 Signins

878 Page Views

• Views: 878
  • Message 2 of 21

Re: Should I buy the Y2P?

2013-12-12, 15:35 PM

I think you are taking some individual problems a few have had and assuming all units suffer from them.   

The yellow was a minor problem which has mostly been fixed.   If you professionaly edit photos then get an external monitor.   Most of don't notice a problem in normal daily operations.  My photos look just fine to me.

I and most others have not had wifi problems,  My guess is that it occurs on some older and cheaper routers.  I have a newer router at home and have not seen anything but great receotion at home or out.

No problems here with the fan, bluetooth, choppy video, screen attachment, or many of the other things reported here.  Not that those people don't have valid complaints (for the most part), but they may not be widespread.   I have not yet tried a USB 3.0 device or the hdmi port.

If you visit forums for other brands of laptops you will find some people with problems. That is really not a valid way to determine if these issues are common or rare.

Options

13 Posts

12-12-2013

USA

63 Signins

396 Page Views

• Views: 396
  • Message 3 of 21

2013-12-12, 16:40 PM

I do see what you are saying and appreciate the response. However, in each thread that details the complaint, there have been several users to also claim to have the same issue. In other words, each problem listed has multiple complaints on that given subject.

But thanks for your post. I do appreciate your opinion.

Options

4 Posts

12-12-2013

Canada

8 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 4 of 21

2013-12-12, 16:44 PM
I think the bluetooth problem is easily fixable, since it's more of a Windows problem than laptop specific problem. Just uncheck "let power manager turn off bluetooth device" and bluetooth mice works fine after computer goes to sleep and comes back from sleep.
Options

35 Posts

12-10-2013

Portugal

78 Signins

550 Page Views

• Views: 550
  • Message 5 of 21

2013-12-13, 17:30 PM
So far I haven't experienced any of those problems with the exception of the poor yellow colour which is fixed by a driver update. Remember that even if only 10 units have a problem it'll still be enough to create a decent sized thread, yet 10 computers amongst thousands is completely irrelevant.
If you have an issue then simply return it and get another one.
Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Views: 2304
  • Message 6 of 21

2013-12-13, 20:33 PM

The i5 128 at BestBuy for $899 isn't stealing but it's close.  You won't be able to touch annother similarly spec'd machine for less than $300 more.  I say "similarly spec'd" because there are no "equally spec'd" machines on the market today.

Unless you desperately MUST have an active digitizer pen, buy the Y2P. 

Options

61 Posts

11-25-2013

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

52 Signins

347 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 347
  • Message 7 of 21

2013-12-13, 22:47 PM
I have had a Y2P for 2 weeks and I am really disappointed with it. The touchscreen is great but the touchpad is nowhere near as good. Sometimes it seems too sensitive and other times the opposite. The cursor often just gets stuck and will not move unless you use the touchscreen. And it doesn't like going from touchscreen to touchpad and back again etc. My perception is that it has been made to be too clever for its own good and hence does not work as well as it should. And the power button has to be the most difficult power button to access ever built.
I don't sweat very much but the touchpad seems to get greasy and certainly marks very easily as do the keys, neither of which look very good; I have not experienced this before on any previous machine.
The 1800 resolution is indeed a gimmick because of the fact that I use the desktop on Windows 8 the most but at 1800 the icons and the text are far too large.
The shop I bought it from has agreed to take it back and give me my money back which is very good of them. However, I would be interested to hear from other Y2P users to learn if they have had similar problems with the touchpad.
At the moment I certainly would not recommend this ultrabook.
Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Views: 2304
  • Message 8 of 21

2013-12-14, 1:30 AM

I have not.experienced any touchpad issues at all. It works fine. I believe that 2048 x 1152 is the best all round resolution to.run this. 3200.x 1800 is overkill and causes issues with apps which scale poorly like Photoshop.

Options

35 Posts

12-10-2013

Portugal

78 Signins

550 Page Views

• Views: 550
  • Message 9 of 21

2013-12-14, 1:44 AM
My touchpad has been working pretty well, it tracks perfectly and the the scroll wheel is incredibly easy to use.
Maybe your problem is that you start using the touchpad from the edge and so it assumes it's unintended, you have to begin closer to the center.

It does mark somewhat easy, but it's easily cleaned so it's not a problem for me. I haven't noticed any problems with the keys.

The 1800p resolutions is about giving you extra "sharpness". You're supposed to leave the resolution at 1800p and then scale it on windows to make the interface larger. I do not understand why you say that at 1800 the icons and the text are too large, you can scale them down to the point you can barely see them if you wish.

Photoshop cannot scale properly though, but other than that every single program I use does scale. This is not really a problem with the screen or the computer, it's a problem with the programs that can only be fixed by developers.

Options

30 Posts

12-04-2013

DFW, USA

120 Signins

567 Page Views

• Views: 567
  • Message 10 of 21

2013-12-14, 4:49 AM

My touchpad has been great as well. The only annoying thing about it is the right-click area. I'm so used to a Mac trackpad, I use two-finger for right-click, and never pay attention where I click. With Y2P if you get to close to that area, you get too many false right-clicks. I also disabled the edge-swipe gestures, as I kept moving between apps. Other than that, it's smooth, fast and accurate.

The crazy high screen resolution has one benefit for me that I didn't expect - when you snap two programs next to each other, for example browser and file manager.Everything is tiny, but because the screen is so sharp, it's actually usable.  great use case for me, use it all the time now.

The only real dissapointment for me is that it's just too large for tablet use. Surface Pro 2 was great for that, from books to couch surfing, to throwing it in my backback together with my work laptop. With Y2P I just find myself using it like a regular laptop too much. And having keys on the bottom in tablet mode does mean that you have to be careful where you put it down, which is another negtive.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)