cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GatsBee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 24,412
Message 1 of 10

Should I upgrade to 8gb ram on yoga 13? Worth it?

It's a relatively cheap upgrade and simple install. For the casual user, will they notice improvement? What about mid to high end user? This is for the current bestbuy model. Thx
Former Employee
Views: 24,323
Message 2 of 10

Re: Should I upgrade to 8gb ram on yoga 13? Worth it?

For normal user 4GB is enough.
For developer or designer 8G is nesessery.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to get BIOS version: Windows key + R --> cmd --> wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion
joshuatownsend
Paper Tape
Views: 23,158
Message 3 of 10

I upgraded mine to 8GB and also added a second 256GB SSD for more storage space.  The added memory definitly helped performance, but I'm a bit of a power user.  Here's how I did the upgrade, with the RAM, hard drive, and tools I used for the job: http://vmtoday.com/2013/01/how-to-upgrade-memory-and-storage-on-the-lenovo-ideapad-yoga-13/

netscorer
Token Ring
Views: 23,100
Message 4 of 10

If you ask this question, then you do not need extra memory. People who need it know exact activities that require RAM and how much. So, while the upgrade is cheap and quick, you may want to wait and see on how you will actually use your Yoga. For a typical user, 4GB is plenty and your Yoga would not become any faster or more responsive with 8GB.

GatsBee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 23,087
Message 5 of 10

Thx for the info.. I never upgraded as I took advice of person that said casual user will not notice any difference.
dodgerfan
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 23,006
Message 6 of 10

My thought process on this is that if I load up my 4GB memory with a number of simultaneous apps or a couple of power apps that need more than my 4GB, then it will page to disk, which on a standard spindle creates noticeable lag but maybe on an SSD drive is close enough to RAM to not matter that much?

I certainly haven't encountered issues with only 4GB and I would consider myself a mid-range user (not quite a power user or gamer).
jealousblues
Paper Tape
Views: 21,950
Message 7 of 10

Im wondering the same thing.
Im a musician and I want to use this computer for some light recording as well as doing guitar lessons.

Recording always seems to use a ton of power and for lessons I would want to run something like amplitube guitar modeling software as well as some like like bandtrax for backing tracks to play along with at the same time.  I may also want to run amplitube during a pro tools recording session.

I wonder if I will need the extra RAM?

I was just running windows antivirus scan and malware bites and an explorer window (I never used to use this browser but it seems to work the best with the touchscreen by far.  Any idea on how secure etc it is?) and it was extremely sluggish.

I wouldn't want anything like that to happen while trying to do a lesson or record.  (Though I wouldn't be running scans in  the back ground).

I also wonder if I can record to the extra SSD you can put into the yoga?
I know you are not allowed/supposed to record onto the drive your operating system is on because it causes all kinds of problems.  I suppose it would be like running an external drive the recording software.  Does anyone know?

mattcoz
Punch Card
Views: 21,825
Message 8 of 10

@dodgerfan wrote:
My thought process on this is that if I load up my 4GB memory with a number of simultaneous apps or a couple of power apps that need more than my 4GB, then it will page to disk, which on a standard spindle creates noticeable lag but maybe on an SSD drive is close enough to RAM to not matter that much?

The SSD is definitely faster but, don't kid yourself, it is still nowhere close to as fast as RAM.

SSD: 225MB/s

RAM: 25.6GB/s

VFC
Punch Card
Views: 21,817
Message 9 of 10

When I upgraded to 8GB, the Windows Exp. score for ram went from 5.9 to 7.2

Highlighted
Thebetajoker
What's DOS?
Views: 5,028
Message 10 of 10

If you havent upgraded the RAM yet you should. All the new web browsers are bottlenecking the old 4gb RAM.

8 gb is like 30 bucks and will show a huge performance boost when running anything and everything. Plus it is a really simple repair. 5 minute youtube video will show you how to do it... and if you mess up all you can possibly break is the keyboard which can be purchased anew.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors