Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ezcat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 556
Message 1 of 18

Sleep mode and BitLocker problems:

Let me begin with how I use my X1 Yoga 2G. I always leave it powered on. The power settings are set to Sleep mode when I close the lid and Hibernate after a few hours.

The other day, I opened the lid and was using the system with no problems. When I was done, I closed the lid. A couple hours later I opened the lid and the system made a bunch of speaker sounds and the screen was blank. All I could do was force a power off.

When I turned the system back on, I get a Bitlocker screen asking for a key. I did NOT turn Bitlocker on nor do I have a key for it. looking around Microsoft on another system for the key I found it. After entering the key on the Yoga, Windows booted up OK using my Windows PW. The PIN and thumb print reader was not usable. I stopped Bitlocker from the bitlocker application in the Control Panel.

Now I'm left with the Sleep mode problem. Whether I set Sleep mode when I close the lid or enter sleep mode from the Power menu, I get the same results. When I try to come out of Sleep mode all I get is speaker sounds and a blank screen. I have to force a Power off to get started.

All the latest Windows and Lenovo Updates are on the system. I ran a full Lenovo hardware scan and didn't find any problems. Before I open a problem with Lenovo, can anyone on the forum help me with this Sleep mode problem?

Thanks, ezcat

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 527
Message 2 of 18

Re: Sleep mode and BitLocker problems:

Hi ezcat!

What is your laptop's current OS build and version? There are users who reported that kb4284833 fixes the black screen after sleep mode. Can you try and confirm? Thanks. 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

ezcat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 514
Message 3 of 18

Windows 10 Pro

Version 1803

Installed on 7/30/2018

OS build 17134.320

I do NOT see the update kb4284833 in "View update history"

ezcat

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 505
Message 4 of 18

Have you tried checking for any available Windows Update instead? It appears that the KB4284833 was released on Windows 10 version 1703 which is different from the current build of the OS on your laptop. I would also recommend to perform a System Restore on your laptop to isolate the issue related to Windows update.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

ezcat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 497
Message 5 of 18

Before I "try" any fixes, I need to get everything I do moved over to a backup computer.  Once I do that I will try a System Restore and/or anything else.  I will post what happens after the System Restore.

It might take a while to get things running on my backup.

ezcat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 481
Message 6 of 18

I did a system restore to the  restore point dated 10/6/2018.  Booted the system OK,  Now the sound was not working and many of the Windows functions where not available. 

I did a second restorn point dated 10/4/2018.  Rebooted OK and all the sound and Windows functions are back.  

I still have the origional problem of not waking from sleep.  Requires a forced power off/on to boot into Windows.

What do you want me to try next?

ezcat

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 478
Message 7 of 18

We found these steps that we could try,this is in reference to: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power-winpc/computer-wont-wake-from-sle...

"1. Click starts > settings > system

2. Left side menu click > Power and Sleep.

3. Scroll down click > Additional Power Settings.

4. Left menu. For each of these Click > 'Choose what the power buttons do' and Click > 'Choose what closing the lid does'. Make these changes [battery and plugged in]:

When I press the power button ~ Hibernate.

When I press the sleep button ~ Turn Off the Display.

When I close the Lid ~ Sleep.

Now return to 3 above > Additional Power Settings and continue:

5. Look for 'Plan shown on the battery metre' and a highlighted circle. Yours could be 'Automatic balances or balances[recommended]. If your computer is highlighted [example DELL] use that option.

6. Adjacent your choice click 'Change Plan Setting'

7 On next screen click 'Change advanced power settings'

8. A new menu appears. Move down and click > Power Button & Lid

9. Go down the menu and make these changes [battery and plugged in];

Lid close .... change to 'Sleep' for both options.

Power Button ... change to 'Hibernate' for both options

Sleep Button ... change to 'Turn Off the display'.

Don't forget to OK before closing the process.

Power option key 'sleep' has now been removed and Hibernate installed. 
Your computer should no longer crash to a black screen because 'sleep' has been replaced by 'hibernate'.

Start> power key >  Hibernate, Shut Down or Restart."

Moderator comment: Link expanded for transparency.

ezcat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 473
Message 8 of 18

Well, now the system will not boot into windows at all.  Recovery menu can't fix the problem.

Is there a hidden recovery partition on the SSD?  If so, how do I restore from it?

ezcat

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 464
Message 9 of 18

What screen are you seeing when you turn it on? Yes, there is a windows recovery environment in your computer. It enables you to recover or repair the operating system even if the Windows 10 operating system fails to start.

After two consecutive failed boot attempts, the Windows recovery environment starts automatically. Then you can choose repair and recovery options by following the on-screen instructions.

ezcat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 462
Message 10 of 18

After it reboots I see a message "Automatic Repair" then a "Diagnocing PC" screen then two buttons: "Restart" and Advanced Options.  Advanced menu is: Continue to Win 10 - Use a device - Troubleshoot - Turn off PC.

Would it be possible for more details on what menu choices I need to make to restore the image in the hidden partition?  I can't seem to find the correct path.

ezcat

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors