Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

14 Posts

12-05-2012

Portland, OR

17 Signins

141 Page Views

• Views: 141
  • Message 1 of 8

Some Windows 8 apps upside down in "tent mode" on Yoga 13

2012-12-05, 18:49 PM

I recently purchased the Yoga 13, which is a FANTASTIC device, with a few notable exceptions. The most annoying one is the orientation issues.

While the screen auto-orientations changes fairly predictably when I turn the machine around, some of the apps I use seem to override these settings.

When I open these specific apps, the screen suddenly rotates back into the standard orientation, which puts the app upside-down when I have the machine set up in tent mode. This is EXASCERBATING as tent mode is the most useful position for this device in many cases for me.

Here are the apps that are giving me this problem thus far:

-Autodesk Sketchbook Express
-Simple Checklist

-TuneIn

-Air Soccer Fever

Anyone else have these problems?

Answer
Options

14 Posts

12-05-2012

Portland, OR

17 Signins

141 Page Views

Re: Some Windows 8 apps upside down in "tent mode" on Yoga 13

2013-01-01, 5:51 AM

According to the Air Soccer Fever developer, per some YouTube comments left, there are FIVE orientations you have to check off when you submit an app to the Windows Store (landscape, flipped landscape, portrait, flipped portrait and snapped). So even if your app is developed to work in all of them, if you forget to check them all off in the Windows Store submission process, they won't work.

That developer of Air Soccer Fever has issued an update that enables the additional orientations, so that one works GREAT now.

So to me, it sounds like this is a development and/or Windows Store submission process issue more than it is a hardware or driver issue for specific machines.

Replies(7)
Options

14 Posts

12-05-2012

Portland, OR

17 Signins

141 Page Views

• Message 2 of 8

Re: Some Yoga 13 apps upside down in "tent mode"

2012-12-05, 18:51 PM

Let me just add, before anyone suggests it. The orientation lock button does nothing to fix this. These apps even override THAT.

Options

1 Posts

12-07-2012

USA

1 Signins

6 Page Views

• Views: 6
  • Message 3 of 8

Re: Some Yoga 13 apps upside down in "tent mode"

2012-12-07, 17:01 PM

Hey..

I am the developer for Air Soccer Fever.

Can you please send me a picture of your device in tent mode with air soccer fever on so I can understand what eactly are you talking about and can fix it in the next update. It will also give me an idea of what "tent" mode means :)

Thanks.

Moderator note; e-mail address removed

Options

137 Posts

12-08-2012

hawaii

852 Signins

3449 Page Views

• Views: 3449
  • Message 4 of 8

2012-12-08, 22:08 PM
You raise a valid issue, but i am puzzled by the urgency. Isn't tent mode almost exactly duplicated by the 180 rotated stand mode where it sits on the keyboard facing down? It will have about the same footprint and screen positioning, except not upside down. Maybe tent consumes less depth, but i sympathize with a reviewer that said tent really shouldn't be counted as a unique position, but rather count the "pizza" position where keyboard and screen is opened flat.
Options

14 Posts

12-05-2012

Portland, OR

17 Signins

141 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2012-12-10, 17:49 PM

@ danglingneuron

Thanks for your interest in resolving this issue with Air Soccer Fever. I really enjoy the game--simple on the surface, but tricky to figure out the best strategies, so very addictive---love it. Sad to see the moderator removed your email so I can't actually send you the picture.

However, in case you check back to this forum, I have posted a YouTube video here where I demonstrate the problem---it also shows the different positions the Yoga 13 can take including "Tent Mode" so you can see how that works.

@ dumth

I prefer Tent Mode to Stand Mode because it's MUCH sturdier for touch-use. In stand mode, the screen waggles quite a bit when touching the upper portion, which can get very irritating, very fast.

Options

1 Posts

12-23-2012

United States

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 6 of 8

2012-12-23, 23:41 PM

I had the same issue with a DELL XPS 12 in "almost tablet mode" which is when you flip the screen but  dont lay it flat on the keyboard (not sure what the mode is called).  Its kind like laptop mode but with the screen facing outwards - perfect for watching movies on a plane.

to fix it on the xps 12 I went into the mode (tent mode for you) and with it upside down open up the Intel HD Graphics option via the Intel Control Center and rotate the display to 180 degrees - I also saved the settings as a profile called "flipped" instead of "normal".  The Intel smarts seem to hold these settings for the flipped mode but revert back to "normal" settings when I return to normal laptop mode. 

Only issue is that in flipped mode my hard start button is now at the top of the screen even in tablet mode - not too much of an issue.

Hope this helps.

Answer
Options

14 Posts

12-05-2012

Portland, OR

17 Signins

141 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2013-01-01, 5:51 AM

According to the Air Soccer Fever developer, per some YouTube comments left, there are FIVE orientations you have to check off when you submit an app to the Windows Store (landscape, flipped landscape, portrait, flipped portrait and snapped). So even if your app is developed to work in all of them, if you forget to check them all off in the Windows Store submission process, they won't work.

That developer of Air Soccer Fever has issued an update that enables the additional orientations, so that one works GREAT now.

So to me, it sounds like this is a development and/or Windows Store submission process issue more than it is a hardware or driver issue for specific machines.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

36 Posts

01-11-2013

Hallifax Canada

59 Signins

499 Page Views

• Views: 499
  • Message 8 of 8

2013-03-28, 11:35 AM

This happens to me in tablet mode, as some apps overrule my locked screen orientation (with heat vent upwards) and revert to laptop mode which is then upside down. I take it there is no cure for this?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms