London

2 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 1 of 3

Some Yoga 13 settings being forgotten upon restart

2012-12-15, 13:51 PM

Hi guys,

Hope you can help with this. I purchased a couple of 13" Yogas yesterday and have been trying to get one to a state I am happy with. I have created a recovery drive, sorted the partitions, removed problem services / bloatware, installed all updates without issue, upgraded to Windows 8 Pro and BitLockered one partition I have created. In general everything is working well, it's lovely machine (bar a slightly twitchy trackpad).

However, by default the Users directory is shared. So I remove sharing from the advanced settings for the folder, hit apply and it is unshared. Great. Reboot / restart and this folder is once again shared!! This is unacceptable for me (and many people I'm sure) so I've poked around manually in the registry and removed the keychain entries (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\services\LanmanServer\Shares), but still no joy. No matter what I do this occurs. Anyone else experience this? I need to be able to have sharing enabled on various networks without worrying about people accessing my private files / desktop!

It also insists upon adding the virtual keyboard shortcut back to the taskbar upon every reboot even though I disable it in Taskbar -> Properties -> Toolbars. I NEVER want to use that in desktop mode, only in Metro!

I'm sure there are other tweaks that I've made that have been discarded, but these two are obvious and need fixing ASAP. (Others settings such as assigned taskbar items and other taskbar settings are kept upon reboot as they should be).

I also tested this on the second machine that I have not tinkered with and it's exactly the same.

This is a pretty major problem for me and I would really appreciate any help you can give me otherwise these may be getting returned rather rapidly to PCWorld...

Cheers,

Paul

Options

36 Posts

11-28-2012

US

38 Signins

498 Page Views

• Views: 498
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Some Yoga 13 settings being forgotten upon restart

2012-12-16, 1:07 AM

Did you try Google? Like this one: http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/8819-why-user-folder-shared-when-you-share-folder.html

Options

3 Posts

12-15-2012

London

2 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Some Yoga 13 settings being forgotten upon restart

2012-12-16, 14:00 PM

Unsurprisingly yes, I have tried Google. That change made no difference. Users folder is still magically re-shared after rebooting.

Have managed to sort it though. Searched through all registry items containing "share" with C:/Users in them and removed them all. That stopped it. Very very annoying though.

Still no joy on getting the virtual keyboard icon to stay gone!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete