cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iceq
Serial Port
Views: 2,829
Message 1 of 18

Still looking for a Stylus for Yoga 510-14IKB. Is it capacitative or digitizer?

Hi guys.

None of the topics posted here or elsewhere provide definitve answers, like this one

I also have the Yoga 510-14IKB Laptop whose specs say "10-point touch screen"(does that mean it is "capacitative" not "digitizer" ? 

Need a stylus pen for it which I can use for drawing/painting, etc. 

1- Is the screen capacitative or digitizer? 

2- Which types of pens can I use with it? 

3- Can I use a bluetooth stylus with it?

any additionally information will be highly appreciated !

Thank you

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,761
Message 2 of 18

Re: Still looking for a Stylus for Yoga 510-14IKB. Is it capacitative or digitizer?

They are all digitizers.  A Wacom digitizer is a separate layer immediately behind the screen panel.  It is basically a matrix of electrical contacts that respond when approached by an electrical signal from a device (pen, or stylus) that sends a pulse.  The pen is called "active" because it actually provides the power for the operation.  The power for the pen typically comes from a battery or a capacitor in the pen.  Your finger has no battery, so it will not trigger a Wacom touch.  (for this discussion, I am ignoring older Wacom digitizers and pens, like x230 tablets, that had magnetic-tiped pens.)  

If you walk across a carpeted floor in a dry room the process generates a small amount of static electricity.  If you then touch a doorknob you get a small shock when the current discharges.  The fact that human skin can conduct a small charge allows it to receive a small electrical charge carried in a very fine matrix of wires in a capacitive discharge layer in the front of the screen panel.  The capacitive digitizer responds to a passive conductive device (like a finger) that senses a voltage drop at a location when your finger or a passive stylus (that acts like a finger) touches the front of the screen. The screen discharges much less then when you get a shock from a doorknob.  It is possible for a screen to have either or both kinds of digitizers. It is also possible to add a pressure sensitive layer.  Your 510 has a capacitive discharge digitizer and not a Wacom digitizer, so you would need a passive stylus.

Here is a youtube video with a good explanation of capacitive discharge digitizers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyCE2h_yjxI

I have never used a Bluetooth stylus, but they require support from the application you are using in order to transmit the position.

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
iceq
Serial Port
Views: 2,749
Message 3 of 18

Re: Still looking for a Stylus for Yoga 510-14IKB. Is it capacitative or digitizer?

Thank you for the information Richk.

But, so, is the screen of this laptop include a wacop digitizer?

And, Could you please relate to  the most important question: 

Which types / brands of pens/stylus is compatible with my Yoga 510-14IKB ? 

What should I search for exactly? 

Concerning bluetooth, suppose the software supports it, would the laptop's screen support it? 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,737
Message 4 of 18

As I said, "Your 510 has a capacitive discharge digitizer and not a Wacom digitizer, so you would need a passive stylus.".  I have never used one so I cannot recommend a model and brand.  Perhaps someone else can do that.  

A Bluetooth stylus should function with your capacitive discharge digitizer, but, again, I have never used one so I cannot recommend a brand or model.  Passive and Bluetooth pens are less precise than a Wacom digitizer and an active stylus.

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
iceq
Serial Port
Views: 2,735
Message 5 of 18

Thank you Richk.
So basically, I should buy one of those cheap pens with a rubber tip whose functionality is very limited and what they would do is only mimic the touch of one's finger on a touchscreen, and which only allow for the function of drawing, no erasing or depth-sensitivity.
Right?
alceryes
Token Ring
Views: 2,735
Message 6 of 18

@richk
Your post may be a little misleading. Although technically correct, the spirit of the question @iceq is asking is whether he can use a Wacom (or Wacom-type) stylus with the Yoga 510.
The answer to this question is 'no'. The Yoga 510 does NOT have the extra digitizer layer to recognize these types of styli.
Most people will refer to these types of screen as just capacitive and those that have the extra styli digitizer layer as digitizer.

@iceq, have you found a stylus that uses bluetooth to somewhat 'mimic' the digitizer precision? I looked and couldn't find one so I just ordered a nice capacitive-type one.
iceq
Serial Port
Views: 2,731
Message 7 of 18

alceryes
No, because I am still not even sure what to buy!
it seems, as I said to richk in my last response, that :
"
basically, I should buy one of those cheap pens with a rubber tip whose functionality is very limited and what they would do is only mimic the touch of one's finger on a touchscreen, and which only allow for the function of drawing, no erasing or depth-sensitivity.
Right?
"
alceryes
Token Ring
Views: 2,730
Message 8 of 18

Yup. You will get slightly better precision and no finger smudges (my real reason for buying one).
I bought this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J7RJ6VQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 extra tips and great reviews have me sold. I'll post back when I test it out.
iceq
Serial Port
Views: 2,706
Message 9 of 18

Thank you.
Since I will be using it for drawing, I need it to be as precise as possible.
Would pallpoint stylys work? ?
Like this, for instance?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-High-precision-Capacitive-Stylus-Pen-Drawing-for-Universal-Tablet-Phone...

Or this Active one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-2-4mm-High-precision-ACTIVE-Stylus-Capacitive-Drawing-Touch-Screen...
alceryes
Token Ring
Views: 2,705
Message 10 of 18

Sorry, I don't know.
If you buy one to test, please post back with your results .
Top Kudoed Authors