Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bh1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,842
Message 1 of 9

Supported external monitors on Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro

What resolutions and refresh rates are supported for external monitors (HDMI) on the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro i7 (59428032)

Specifically, I'm looking at the Samsung 28" 4K Ultra HD Widescreen Monitor (U28D590D) [3840 x 2160]

I've hooked up to my HP w2408h monitor (1920x1200) with mixed results (mostly unacceptable).  Most items (icons, images) appear quite large and cropped.  For some applications (such as the View/trim preview window in GoPro Studio) appear to be cropped to about 1/4 of the image (if you imagine an image split into 4 quadrents, only the top left is visible).

I had hoped that I could use the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro both as an extremely portable notebook and a desktop (when connected to an external monitor, keyboard & mouse).  I'm beginning to doubt that this will work.

TommyP81
Paper Tape
Views: 6,813
Message 2 of 9

Re: Supported external monitors on Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro

While i can't offer any insight on a 4K monitor as i dont have one myself, I can tell you that is works perfectly on a 25" monitor at 1920x1080, and everything looks perfect, exactly as it is when connected to my desktop.

I'd suggest that after connecting the external monitor you enter the resolution settings, make sure the second monitor is set as 'Extended monitor' and that the resolution for it is set to its native resolution.

Aside from that, if you're working with the Yoga's native resolution (3200x1800), then you probably have the DPI set to 200%, which will also affect external monitors, making some things look pretty bad.

There is no magic solution for this case, either drop the resolution and lower the DPI, or.... as much as i hate to say it... get used to it... sorry.

I personally dropped the resolution on my yoga and lowered the DPI, so i'm good both with the yoga screen and my external monitor when at home.

wmark
What's DOS?
Views: 5,695
Message 3 of 9

Experiencing the same problems.  I have an HD 27 inch Acer monitor,  USB micro to HDMI connection,  but the picture is horribly washed out,  and blurry.  I suspect its the 4K resolution....the downscaling must be brutal.  Maybe only a 4K monitor will solve this?

bobkathaire
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,032
Message 4 of 9

OK...just purchased a Dell P2416D(spec res max = 2560x1440).

Used HDMI port to hook to Yoga 2 Pro and all is running fine at 3200x1800@59Hz.

Not complaining, but this should not be possible. The Dell monitor defaulted to this in Windows 10.

Bobkat

Highlighted
bobkathaire
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,980
Message 5 of 9

OK...just purchased a Dell P2416D(spec res max = 2560x1440).

Used HDMI port to hook to Yoga 2 Pro and all is running fine at 3200x1800@59Hz.

Not complaining, but this should not be possible. The Dell monitor defaulted to this in Windows 10.

Bobkat

bobkathaire
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,942
Message 6 of 9

OK....correction.

My external Dell P2416D was running at it's rated 2560x1440@59Hz, not at the same native res. of the yoga 2 pro(3200x1800) under Windows 10.

But still looks great through the micro HDMI port.

Bobkat

rtan
Paper Tape
Views: 4,917
Message 7 of 9

I don't have the Yoga 2 pro but I have the Yoya 2 13".  I can get 4096x2160 when connect to my 4K TV.

rik411
What's DOS?
Views: 3,535
Message 8 of 9

Bobkathaire - Thank you so much for identifying the 24" Dell P2416D as one that pairs well with the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro.  It saved me some potentially painful trial and error (as we can see from this thread).  I just hooked it up today with my Pro (quick plug and play via HDMI cable) and (as you stated in your post), it pairs beautifully.  It automatically selected 2460x1440 (as you also stated in your post), and the icons/graphics are perfect.  Resolution is simply beautiful.  AND, it was under $300!

Thanks again!!

Flanimal
Token Ring
Views: 3,527
Message 9 of 9

Hey dude,

I had a washed out HDMI display and after some research I was surprised to find that there is a solution which is unbeliveably not the default settings of the monitor/tv.

It sound like nonsense, but on my Samsung TV I used accessed the menu for the hdmi source, selected rename, and selected PC from the list. Unbelievably, this completely solved my washed out display. The rename actually did something, possibly involving overscan, unecessary processing, and picture 'enhancment'.

Also worth checking the menus for sceen size, and choose something like 'screen fit' that gives you 1:1 pixel rations. so that there's no clipping ofthe screen at the edges.

I was AMAZED that TV/monitors do not automatically display what they are told to display by computers.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors