Options

46 Posts

03-21-2008

US

214 Signins

1503 Page Views

• Views: 1503
  • Message 1 of 11

That fingerprint has already been set up on another account. Yoga 920, Windows 10 pro.

2018-09-26, 14:33 PM

Last Friday something went wrong with my login.  Suddenly I could no longer login to my Yoga 920 with either my fingerprint, nor my PIN, nor my password.  I have no clue what caused that.  Never had such a thing happen before.  But I knew a quick fix...  I was able to login as Administrator, so I wasn't quite dead in the water...

I had a recent Acronis True Image backup of my drive C: (1 day old) so I used an ATI recovery memory stick and restored that image to drive C:.  All went well and after reboot I was able to login using my correct user name and password.  It had dropped the PIN and fingerprint login options though, as if they'd never been setup.  Curious but not problematic - or so I thought.

So I setup the PIN (using the same digits) and tried to setup my fingerprints again.  When I tried my index finger, it refused, saying: "That fingerprint has already been set up on another account.  Try a different finger."

Well I tried all the fingers that were previously setup and ALL got the same failed response.  So tried my ring finger (which had not been previously used) and it worked!  Hmmm

Thus I began a search for a way to clear ALL fingerprint data from any and all accounts.  NOTE that I used the exact same account (John) and the password associated with John still worked.  Only the fingerprint data is somehow associated with a phantom "John" account that I cannot re-create.  Yes - I did use the Sign-in option page and told it to REMOVE fingerprints.  It only removed the ring finger one I had just setup, and the "REMOVE" option then disappeared.  Yet the phantom fingerprint problem persisted.

Searches for solutions led me to turn off the Windows Biometric Service, delete the file "C:\windows\system32\winbiodatabase\[GUID].DAT file(s).    I also removed a registry entry under a folder named WinBio as per various suggestions found via Google searches.  I tried each solution individually, and collectively all at once.  I removed from DEVICE MANAGE, the "Synaptics WGDI - SGX" device and rebooted.  

Net result was that I had to eventually add the "Synaptics WGDI - SGX" device from a downloaded driver obtained from the Lenovo site.  And upon re-installing that device and rebooting, I had EXACTLY THE SAME PHANTOM FINGERPRINT PROBLEM.  

I then went into the BIOS (F2) hoping to find a way to remove existing fingerprint records as some folks on the internet had suggested.  No fingerprint option shows in my 5NCN38WW BIOS.  I did change the BIOS SGX and Intel PTT settings (hoping I didn't break anything) and hoped for the best - but nothing I was able to tweak made any difference to the phantom fingerprint problem.

Now I am wondering if indeed the phantom fingerprints are stored in an inaccessible BIOS area, or perhaps even in memory of the fingerprint reader device!?!?

Am wide open to helpful suggestions.  It isn't keeping me from use of my Yoga 920, but is an agravation that I cannot remedy the problem.

Anyone?

Solved! See the solution
Options

14 Posts

09-19-2018

US

13 Signins

192 Page Views

• Views: 192
  • Message 2 of 11

Re: That fingerprint has already been set up on another account. Yoga 920, Windows 10 pro.

2018-09-27, 3:19 AM

You may delete the registered fingerprint with different unused account. It is easy as 20 second task. Here is how you do it.

1. Open Services console (Windows key + R and type Services.msc). Stop the service called  Windows BioMetric Service (WbioSrvc)

2. Open folder location in file explorer: C:\Windows\System32\WinBioDatabase\. On this location, there will GUID.datfiles. Find the one with date you recognized you register the fingerprint. If not, just delete all DAT files.

3. Start the service Windows BioMetric Service again.

Try registering your fingerprint now. Hope this method helps. 

Options

46 Posts

03-21-2008

US

214 Signins

1503 Page Views

• Message 3 of 11

Re: That fingerprint has already been set up on another account. Yoga 920, Windows 10 pro.

2018-09-27, 11:39 AM

Appreciate the suggestion, but I've tried that.  Deleted everything in  C:\Windows\System32\winbiodatabase\*.*.  Yes, I STOPPED the Windows bios service before doing so - as it will refuse to allow the deletion unless you do that first.

Upon rebooting and attempting to register a fingerprint, I encounter the SAME ERROR on the SAME fingers.  Then if I look, the [GUID].DAT file has re-appeared.

I also removed a registry entry (HKLM\,...............................\Winbio) that was suggested by several folks.  It too re-appeared without fixing the problem.

After having deleted everything that anyone has suggested, my system persists in the problem and appears to re-create the .DAT file and registry entry out of thin air.  Hence my conclusion that the fingerprint data resides elsewhere.

I further tried de-linking my Microsoft Live Account from my login as some folks suggested that the fingerprint data might be stored by Microsoft in the cloud.  Even in combination with the .DAT file removal and the registry entry deletion, the problem persists.

Surely someone KNOWS what can fix this issue.  I can't be the only person who's lost a login (for whatever reason) that had fingerprint login capability.

Options

46 Posts

03-21-2008

US

214 Signins

1503 Page Views

• Message 4 of 11

2018-09-29, 23:33 PM

Lenovo tech support was not helpful.  They suggested remove and reinstall the Synaptic driver in Device Manager.  Since I had only done that about a dozen times, I tried yet one more time to satisfy the technician helping me - and it again did not help.  I still have several fingerprints that remain attached to a phantom login account (which ironically is the same as my "John" login account.  Even though the two logins are identical (and both were stored as "C:\Users\John" without any extension, the presviously entered fingerprints remain unusable.

I do have my ring and pinky fingers registered and working on my current login.  But this is one of those frustrating things that I spend too much time trying to resolve.  

Caution to everyone out there who uses fingerprint authentication on a Yoga 920 (and perhaps other models) - if you have to restore your system from an image backup, you too will likely fall victim to this situation.

Perhaps someday, Windows will provide a way within the Windows Hello program to remove these phantom fingerprints.   At least I can use the PIN login without a hassle...

Options

46 Posts

03-21-2008

US

214 Signins

1503 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2018-10-06, 23:09 PM

Finally fixed my problem.  In the event that someone finds it useful, here is what I did that fixed my problem.

I searched near and far for a utility.  Someone posted a hint that they'd installed an older Synaptics driver that allowed them to remove the orphaned fingerprints.  In search of that golden solution, I stumbled upon a link;

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n1mgf11w.exe

that did download an older driver.  But I couldn't install the driver successfully.  While I was deleting the files it had put in my C:\Windows\DRIVERS\WIN folder I discovered an executable named aptly, SynapticsUtility.exe dated 4/4/2018.  Out of curiousity I ran that utility and it popped up a window showing three sets of fingerprint credentials and allowed me to select each set and remove it. 

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!   I was then (immediately w/o reboot) able to register any finger I wished.  I plan to archive that utility (and the various .DLL files in its folder) and hope to never find myself in orphaned fingerprint hell again.

I can make no guarantees about this.  As it happens, my Lenovo Yoga 920 has a Synaptics fingerprint reader - and somehow I doubt this utility would work for any other brand.  Wish I'd found this solution 2 weeks ago!!!!!

2 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

7 Posts

12-19-2016

US

12 Signins

76 Page Views

• Views: 76
  • Message 6 of 11

2018-11-13, 20:32 PM

Wonderful, it worked on my T460p !.
I set up my first fingerprint two years ago. Last year I migrated from one domain to another and could never delete the old fingerprint pattern because of the infamous message "That fingerprint has already been set up on another account. Try a different finger."

Your n1mgf11w.exe link solved the probem!
I downloaded it and ran the install with two modifications:
1) I "installed" the driver to c:\DRIVERS\WIN\FPRtempfolder
2) The installer unzipped the files than stopped at one final dialog. I UNCHECKED the box that said "Install Synaptics Metallica MOC Touch Fingerprint Reader Driver" then clicked Finish.
3) I navigated to the FPRtempfolder and copied SynapticsUtility.exe dated 4/4/2018 to my own folder, and ran it from there. The utility let me delete all of the registered fingerprints.

Options

1 Posts

12-24-2018

NI

2 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 7 of 11

2018-12-24, 2:59 AM

Easy, look for SynapticsUtility.exe at C:\drivers\WIN\FPR\WBF_Drivers (or find SipnaticsUtility.exe at your HDD), run that executable file and delete the fingerprints stored.

Then go to register a new fingerprints!

Regards,

Options

1 Posts

09-05-2019

VN

1 Signins

6 Page Views

• Views: 6
  • Message 8 of 11

2019-09-05, 17:27 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your guide. I'm using an ASUS laptop, but thanks to your post, I've managed to fix this problem also.

The method is freaking simple:
1/ Find the laptop system model support through Google (E.g: "Asus PU403UF support").

2/ Find, download & install the lastest Driver of the Biometric fingerprint.
## Remember: Install that driver TWO times (first time is to install, install the SECOND TIME in order to remove the Driver's fingerprint data). 

Restart the laptop then set your fingerprints when it's back on.

I'm so happy to find this method on my own, after living with this situation for 2 years. OMG, thank you!! xD

Options

10 Posts

11-07-2019

SA

9 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 9 of 11

2019-11-07, 16:20 PM

It does not work for:

YOGA-520-14IKB-TYPE-81C8

Options

1 Posts

11-29-2019

US

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 10 of 11

2019-11-29, 13:04 PM

I just purchased a 4th Gen Thinkpad Yoga and had it all set up with my fingerprint registered to my account.  Everything was good until I installed AV software that blue screened my laptop.   I could not get the software uninstalled so I had to recover to a previous image.  I finally got things back working but it wouldn't let me set my fingerprint using the same to fingers that I originally registered saying it was in use by another account.  To all appearances the account didn't exist.  I went in to delete it through control panel - user accounts and all it showed was one account.    I spent a frustrating day trying to figure out how to address it. 

I followed all the steps in the thread above and other suggestions but it wouldn't work until I actually discovered that the old User account folder was still on the device under c:/windows/users.  I deleted the old user folder and then tried to re-enroll my fingerprint.  At first it didn't seem to want to work with the same message that it was in use by another account, until I just held my finger on the reader and eventually it just worked.   So just hold you finger on the reader for a little bit and see if it works for you.

It was a frustrating thing to try to figure out so I figured I'd post my experience. Hope this helps and works for others.  

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete