cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Speednet
Paper Tape
Views: 11,759
Message 1 of 12

Turn off trackpad right-click "button" on Yoga 13?

I prefer the click approach on the Apple Macbook Air, where you can click anywhere on the trackpad to get a normal (left) click.  On the Yoga 13, you can click anywhere EXCEPT the lower-right side of the button, where it instead registers a right-click.  Thta's kind of annoying because I have to be aware of where on the trackpad I can click and where I can't.

Does anyone know of a way to turn off the right-click area and just make the entire trackpad a left-click?

I have already turned off the tap-click ability, so I'm just talking about clicks where you press the surface of the trackpad down.

Speednet
Paper Tape
Views: 11,667
Message 2 of 12

Re: Turn off trackpad right-click "button" on Yoga 13?

Is there a Lenovo staff person who could answer this question?

perevalov
What's DOS?
Views: 11,586
Message 3 of 12

Hi,

I was able to get it working by registry modification.

1. Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTP\TouchPadPS2
  2. Backup it! By selecting File -> Export when this key is selected
  3. Then find a value "ExButton4Action", by default it is 2
  4. Double click on it and change to 1
  5. Restart windows

After these changes it should work in the same way as on MacBook.

Do it on your own risk and be careful with registry.

Speednet
Paper Tape
Views: 11,490
Message 4 of 12

I am in awe, thank you perevalov!  It works perfectly.  Hopefully Synaptics will put this option into the GUI, but in the meantime I don't mind doing a registry tweak.

thehammer401
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,486
Message 5 of 12

Perevalov, 

Thank you so much! it worked really well. One slight issue: the left button area still only acts as a left click and wont register a two finger click when both fingers are on the touchpad. Is there any way to fix this? if not, no biggie, it's definitely not a huge issue. 

perevalov
What's DOS?
Views: 11,475
Message 6 of 12

Hi thenammer401,

After 30 minutes playing with registry I found how to sort issue with left button area as well.

In the same registry key set values
LeftButtonZoneR = 0
LeftButtonZoneT = 0
These values defines coordinates of the left button area, and setting them to 0 will minimize it.
Speednet
Paper Tape
Views: 11,464
Message 7 of 12

perevalov, once again, brilliant.  Thanks very much for spending the time to figure it out.

A tip for those making the changes:  Create new registry entries called LeftButtonZoneR_OLD and LeftButtonZoneT_OLD (both as 32-bit DWORD values), and save the current values of LeftButtonZoneR and LeftButtonZoneT in those new entries.  That way you can revert the changes any time you like, and you don't need to store a backup registry file.  The "_OLD" entries are simply ignored by the system.

thehammer401
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,408
Message 8 of 12

This is awesome! Thank you!

trusktr
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 10,506
Message 9 of 12

Based on perevalov's answers, I was able to search for all Instances of LeftButtonZoneX and RightButtonZoneX (where X is one of B, T, L, or R, representing bottom, top, left, and right) and changed them all to a value of 0. You might want to back them up first,, like Speednet mentions.

Lenovo should include the UI for this. It comes standard with normal synaptic installs, but Lenovo decided to remove it for their customized version.
ChiTownYoga13
What's DOS?
Views: 7,680
Message 10 of 12

I think I have a slight improvement for the fix on this thread.  You do not need to change the LeftButtonZoneR and LeftButtonZoneT values.  Instead, just click on RightButtonAction and change the value from 2 to 1.  I think in the past I tried changing the zone values, and from what I can remember it totally disabled the right button area.  Changing the value for RightButtonAction to 1 does not disable the right button area, it actually just makes it work like the rest of the trackpad.  Just like the trackpad on the MacBook I used to use. 

You do also have to change the ExButton4Action value to 1 like perevalov said.  Just changing the RightButtonAction value will do nothing. 

Thanks perevalov for finding this fix.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors