Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rotopenguin
Paper Tape
Views: 1,910
Message 1 of 3

Two Finger trackpad coasting can't be turned off in settings, so here's how

Two Finger scrolling is good, and even better when the actions that you make correspond to the actions on the screen. That kinda falls apart with the "coasting" option that the Synaptics drivers do by default, which adds a magical fence to the top and bottom fifths of the trackpad area, where the scrolling just totally runs away from you. This is a silly overcorrection to a minor user input, and is much better turned off.

Basically, the Synaptics settings changes the wrong registry bits when you click the little checkbox, that's no good. The fix is to go into regedit (yay!) and flip the bit yourself.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadSMB2c\2FVertical Scrolling\UserZoneFlags (and why not go after the 2FHorizontal version too)

and zero out the "twos" (2nd from right) place bit.  The GUI goes after the "fours" (third from right) place bit, I have no idea what that does. Convert the hexadecimal into binary, change the correct bit, put the value back into the registry, and reboot. I don't know how that wrong bit got set in the first place, but it looks like the GUI panel will mostly leave it alone from here on out. 

Alterantively, you may try just setting the registry key value to plain old 1 (which looks like the bit to enable/disable 2 finger scrolling at all), and then flipping the GUI settings back to mostly how you like. 

I would like to thank this post for their inspiration, between that and this you can have a pad that controls a touch more like a Mac. 

My system details:

Spoiler
  1. Driver ver 17.0.6.51, SMB connection, on a Lenovo Ideapad Flex 14 model 20308, Windows 8.1.
lrdouglas
What's DOS?
Views: 1,747
Message 2 of 3

Re: Two Finger trackpad coasting can't be turned off in settings, so here's how

I'm trying to do this right now, the coast feature is driving me bonkers. I can't quite decipher the terminology though (I'm not a programmer or even a big computer guy). I got into the registry and found where I need to make the changes, but from there I'm lost. Could you provide a bit more instruction in lay men's terms for me? Thank you!

sethicusprime
What's DOS?
Views: 1,518
Message 3 of 3

Re: Two Finger trackpad coasting can't be turned off in settings, so here's how

Thanks so much; I used an online hex to binary and binary to hex converter to follow your directions and it worked. Now if someone could come up with a fix to split audio streams on my u430 touch realtek I'd be really stoked!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors