Did you mean: 
Highlighted
avlbambi
Paper Tape
Views: 12,938
Message 1 of 7

URGENT: Windows 10 update and now can't boot

Hi,

Need urgent help please. Bought a Yoga 910 not even a week ago, set up everything, worked perfectly, then had to install the **bleep** Update of Windows 10 (W10 was already on it, so upDATE not upGRADE) and suddenly there was a blue screen saying something about error with BCD file and code 0xc000000d. Don't have a recovery media nor installation media, so made a recovery from the Win10 version on my other pc (on a USB-device) as I had read in a windows forum. Changed BIOS to boot from USB. Get the recovery window with only half the options available (system repair is inactive). Opend the cmd window, entered the commands with bootrec and /fixMBR, /Fixboot and /rebuild BCD, did the restart. Now It will only boot with the USB and give me the same meager options as before. BIOS will not open. Got so desperate, I even opted for the complete reset... WHICH IT WILL NOT DO! I'm leaving in two days for some travelling and it's the reason I bought this laptop. I urgently need a fast solution. Please help... at least to get back in BIOS...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 12,879
Message 2 of 7

Re: URGENT: Windows 10 update and now can't boot

Hello and welcome,

You can't get into BIOS via the Novo Button?

If you didn't make recovery media your quickest option might be to install Windows from MS media:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Drivers as necessary from the 910 download page:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-910-13ikb/download...

Perhaps just the WLAN driver (if needed) then to the MS store for Lenovo Companion.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

avlbambi
Paper Tape
Views: 12,848
Message 3 of 7

RE: URGENT: Windows 10 update and now can't boot

SOLVED!!!

Thank you for answering so fast. Talked on the phone to Lenovo support which didn't give me the right solution but I was able to piece it together from all the info from you, them and another page I found. So this worked for me:

- Turn off laptop

- push NOVO button

- choose System Recovery in the NOVO menu

- choose keyboard language layout (totally irrelevent, but you have to click through it)

- klick Problem Solving

- Open Command Window

- go through the following commands:    

bootrec /fixMBR

bootrec /Fixboot

bootrec /rebuildBCD

- restart laptop

- choose operating system -> this was confusing as both options it gave me to choose from were named identically... so I picked the first one :-)

- laptop did some things by itself (like finishing the update properly) and then - YAY - started to work normally. And the best thing: no data loss whatsoever, all previously installed programs still there, etc.

Have restarted it several times just to be sure and it works well now.

So a big fat THANK YOU dear ! You started me on the right solution-path

jennyz
What's DOS?
Views: 7,582
Message 4 of 7

Re: RE: URGENT: Windows 10 update and now can't boot

I followed this until i clicked system recovery. then it wanted to erase my partition so i cancelled. this did not solve my problem
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 7,576
Message 5 of 7

That's what System Recovery does. Takes you back to out-of-the-box condition. After that, you can restore all of your stuff from the last backup you made.  

Is your issue identical to the OP's? Same error messages?

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
aunt_z
What's DOS?
Views: 5,926
Message 6 of 7

Did not work for me!! Mine says Lenovo Service Partition has been destroyed!! What do I do?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 5,918
Message 7 of 7

If your computer didn't ship with OneKey on it (such as some Best Buy models) or you installed Windows from scratch (which also wipes out the recovery drive), or anything else that took out the Service Partition, you'll have to boot into the recovery USB drive you hopefully made when you first set up the machine and restore from the system image you also should have created when you first set up the machine. That's the only way to get it back to out-of-the-box without OneKey. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors