cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TPham1948
Token Ring
Views: 3,545
Message 1 of 8

USB C Hub, Sinstar 8 in 1 Aluminum Multi Port Adapter for Yoga 920 ? Any experience Please share.

Just bought a Yoga 920 with the intent to use it with 2 Monitors. After days of searching, I could not find a simple solution without spending a few hundreds. Even so, it may not work. Still searching, and any help would be most appreciated.

Meanwhile, I need Ethernet and SD card reader. The product that had many customers' approvals is this USB C Hub, Sinstar 8 in 1 Aluminum Multi Port Adapter 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073VJJJMS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A19E4KABC2FKRR&psc=1

Has anybody used this Hub ? How does it work with the Yoga 920 ?

Thanks

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 3,506
Message 2 of 8

Re: USB C Hub, Sinstar 8 in 1 Aluminum Multi Port Adapter for Yoga 920 ? Any experience Please share

You say you need to drive two monitors... this device only has one video output and it's HDMI. There are some other threads going involving multiple external monitors. If you only need one external or if you plan on using an HDMI splitter to show the same thing on multiple monitors, this should do.

I use a Trendnet USB-C to HDMI dongle. Works on my 910 and 920 pretty flawlessly.  I also have an el-cheapo card reader I attach to the USB-3 port. But you need ethernet.

If you try it, by all means run Lenovo Vantage to update your system, first. There's an update that affects the USB-C ports. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
DaleRoss
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,499
Message 3 of 8

Re: USB C Hub, Sinstar 8 in 1 Aluminum Multi Port Adapter for Yoga 920 ? Any experience Please share

I know you are asking about another unit, but I am using this unit and reccommend it, the lenovo C106

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077FPTVSD/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are many units that have HDMI along with Display port, VGA, DVi. But I've not found one with mulitiple HDMI

TPham1948
Token Ring
Views: 3,488
Message 4 of 8

@Doctordon
Thanks for the recommendation. I found the one that you mentioned.
TRENDnet USB-C to HDMI with Power Delivery and USB 3.0 Port, 4K UHD Resolution, Flexible Connector, Easy Set-Up, Compact Design, TUC-HDMI3
https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Delivery-Resolution-Connector-TUC-HDMI3/dp/B01N0ZIZLQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0...

@DaleRoss, I did consider the Lenovo C106, but the Sinstar seemed to receive more positive reviews.

Anyway, I ended up placing an order for these:
. Plugable USB-C Mini Docking Station with 85W Charging for Thunderbolt 3
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078J7FSWM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
. Cable Matters USB-C to HDMI Cable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073H9RG9T/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My assumption is that the Docking Station, connects to the first USB-C port, could provide PD charging, HDMI to first monitor, and Ethernet. The Cable Matters, connects to the second USB-C port, provides HDMI to second monitor.
As for SD Card reader, another purchase needs be made for the remaining USB port.
The order should arrive tomorrow, and I'd be glad to provide an update.
Not a clean solution, unfortunately.
Thanks
TPham1948
Token Ring
Views: 3,459
Message 5 of 8

The Plugable USB-C Mini Docking Station with 85W Charging for Thunderbolt 3 works out GREAT. Charging, HDMI, Ethernet, USB 3 all work flawlessly without interruption nor heating.

Dual screens work out ok for the past 3 - 4 hours.

Cheers,

Toddvg
Paper Tape
Views: 3,370
Message 6 of 8

Has anyone checked to see if the Hubs that directly connect to Both USB-C ports for the MacBook work/match up with the ports on the 920?

Satechi makes one

https://satechi.net/products/aluminum-type-c-pro-hub-adapter-for-2016-macbook-pro-13-and-15-40gbs-th...

Amiccom also makes one

https://www.computergeeky.co/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=573&language=en&currency=USD...

TPham1948
Token Ring
Views: 3,356
Message 7 of 8

I don't know about the Amiccom, but feedbacks on the Satechi seemed that it does not fit the 920. In addition, it seemed to be a strange concept to occupy both valuable ports.
The Plugable worked for a while, but somehow there was a conflict that the network adapter disappeared from Network Settings. Hence the Ethernet became dead. I messed around with it for days and finally just gave up and returned both the laptop & and hub.
I still like the 920 very much and is in the hunt for another one. This time, I'd order Lenovo TB hub. It is expensive at $280, but at the end, perhaps it is a better call than using unproven third party products.
Musicman7700
What's DOS?
Views: 2,306
Message 8 of 8

I got this adapter from Best Buy: I believe it's made by J5, Model JUA365. It runs off of USB and converts to 2 x HDMI cables. I use it with my new 920, 16gb, 512 HD, i7. I had been using it with my old Sony Vaio laptop, and it worked perfectly with that as well. I plugged straight into the USB connecter and it worked great. I use the monitors in extend these monitors mode.

I wanted more USB ports, so since buying the 920 I purchased a Tikko USB-C adapter, that has 3 x USB, 1 x HDMI(don't really need this with the J5 mentioned above, an Ethernet Port, a USB C port, and an SD card slot and a Mini SD slot...

The Tikko is supposed to be able to handle plugging in the 920's power cord to the USB and Charge thru the USB C port. Not using that feature currently. Tried it for a day and it seemed to work and charge fine, but have not verified if that is supported by Lenovo YET!....Forgive the caps next as they are for emphasis only: DOES ANYONE ELSE KNOW IF THE USB C PORT CAN ALSO BE USED FOR CHARGING WITH AN ADAPTER SUCH AS THIS? Thanks....

Hope this helps.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors