Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kamolios
Paper Tape
Views: 641
Message 1 of 8

USB Type C all in one adapter error ,YOGA 920

Just bought YOGA 920, and HAMA USB-C adpater, DIDNT work, and gave an error message, what should I do exactly ?

Device not recognizable, malfunctioning, couldn't connect to HDMI

Please advise!!

SeniorGuru
Views: 614
Message 2 of 8

Re: USB Type C all in one adapter error ,YOGA 920

It's possible the adapter isn't compatible with the Yoga 920. Have you tried a genuine Lenovo adapter? (Lenovo USB-C to HDMI Adapter)

Community Moderator
Views: 610
Message 3 of 8

Uninstall it. Use Lenovo Vantage to update all of your drivers and BIOS. Then reinstall. If it still fails, send it back and try a different brand. I have a Trendnet that works perfectly well on both my 910 and 920.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
SeniorGuru
Views: 591
Message 4 of 8

@Doctordon wrote:

I have a Trendnet that works perfectly well on both my 910 and 920.

The CableCreation Type C to HDMI 4K Hub Adapter also works well with my Y900s. But the first adapter I bought from a different make didn't work at all. So there's likely something about it as well as the HAMA that's incompatible with Y9xx models.

P.S. Great idea to uninstall/reinstall drivers and update BIOS to latest levels. 

Community Moderator
Views: 582
Message 5 of 8

@hausman wrote:

@Doctordon wrote:

I have a Trendnet that works perfectly well on both my 910 and 920.

The CableCreation Type C to HDMI 4K Hub Adapter also works well with my Y900s. But the first adapter I bought from a different make didn't work at all. So there's likely something about it as well as the HAMA that's incompatible with Y9xx models.

P.S. Great idea to uninstall/reinstall drivers and update BIOS to latest levels. 

Thanks!

The first brand I bought for the 910 didn't work. The Trendnet was my second and IT didn't work on the 920 until I updated the  drivers.

Kamolios
Paper Tape
Views: 572
Message 6 of 8

thanks everyone, honestly, i'm a bit disapointed, Lenovo didnt mention they should be having a special thunderbolt adapter, plus, why it is not designed to be compatible with a wide range of adapters, now, I bought one while i didnt know that it wouldn't work, and it was quite expensive.

I tried install the latest USB C from their website, but unfortunately didn't work, it seems that I should get another one.

Any other advice from Lenovo ???

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 568
Message 7 of 8

I put the blame on the adapter makers. Some of these dongles were designed when USB-C was just rolling out (it's still in its infancy, if you ask me). We saw a lot of the same problems when USB first rolled out. Heck, I have TV sets with USB ports for videos that won't recognize half the sticks I put in them. It seems adapter makers make sure their gizmos work with Apple, then ship 'em out, leaving the rest of us to beta test compatibility with other makes and models. You see the same issues popping up on Dell and HP forums.

I've gotten to where I dig through reviews before buying much of anything, anymore. 

SeniorGuru
Views: 567
Message 8 of 8

@Kamolios wrote:

thanks everyone, honestly, i'm a bit disapointed, Lenovo didnt mention they should be having a special thunderbolt adapter, plus, why it is not designed to be compatible with a wide range of adapters, now, I bought one while i didnt know that it wouldn't work, and it was quite expensive.

I tried install the latest USB C from their website, but unfortunately didn't work, it seems that I should get another one.

Any other advice from Lenovo ???

Speaking as an individual (because I'm not connected with Lenovo other than as a customer):

One weakness of the USB-C standard is that it has several components that deal with different features like USB data transfer, video interfaces, power distribution, Thunderbolt3, etc. Those features became part of the USB-C standards at different points in time. As a result there are devices and adapters on the market that support some but not necessarily all aspects of the full USB-C set of standards.

Lenovo designs systems to be compatible with standards, including USB-C. Because the standard has evolved, systems introduced more than a year or so ago may support only a subset of the full USB-C/Thunderbird3 standard. The USB-C connectors may look the same but the circuitry behind them isn't.

As a result Lenovo has a variety of USB-C adapters, docking stations, etc., all of which connect with a USB-C connector, that may support different subsets of USB-C. Lenovo addresses this situation by publishing compatability information for each system and each of the USB-C accessories they offer. If you buy a genuine Lenovo adapter that's indicated to be compatible with your Lenovo system, the adapter has been tested with that system.

But Lenovo has no control over other manufacturers of "compatible" adapters and accessories or over their claims of compatability. It's your responsibility to ensure that such non-Lenovo devices are compatible with your Lenovo system. As posters have commented, some non-Lenovo adapters aren't compatible with Lenovo systems, no matter what those manufacturers may claim. I don't see how Lenovo can protect any customer from buying such an adapter and finding that it's incompatible with their system.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors