08-09-2019

IT

1 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 2

Unable to set up Fingerprint and face sign-in (Windows Hello) on Yoga 530

2019-08-09, 17:19 PM

Hi everyone! I've a Yoga 530 notebook, and I've reinstalled a clean version of Windows 10. Now Windows Hello seems not working.

If I go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options, the page says that Windows Hello face and Windows Hello Fingerprint are currentli unavailable, and if I try to set them up it comes a message: "Somenting went wrong. Try again later".

Camera and fingerprint drivers are properly installed and upgraded, indeed camera works with programs or videochats.

Thanks for the help :)

Moderator comment: Post edited to match model in title, and member's other thread.

Options

7 Posts

12-05-2015

US

10 Signins

83 Page Views

• Views: 83
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Unable to set up Fingerprint and face sign-in (Windows Hello) on Yoga 530

2019-08-11, 15:58 PM

I have a Yoga 720-151, and after the May windows update Windows Hello fingerprint totally stopped working and appears no longer to be supported.  What happened? evidently Microsoft changed the requirements for what it'll support in Hello?  Does Lenovo have a fix?  I don't think it's a hardware issue; the fingerprint reader has, I think, the right kind of hardware level, right?

I just ran across a Microsoft document about 2017 changes to fingerprint driver requirements for driver capabilities and signing that *might* be relevant, but surely Lenovo has met those requirements, esp for machines built after then?

I see this message in Device Manager for the Synaptics WBDI-SGX device:

"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"   Driver date 6/8/2017, version 5.5.2613.1050, signed by Microsoft.  Driver update says that I already have the 'most recent drivers' installed.

the Lenovo site has a driver version of the same version number dated November 2017, and that's all there is.   Lenovo, what's the fix?  I'd like your fingerprint reader to work again! ;(

here's the URL https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/windows-hello-driver-signing

and here's the first bit from the document (along with lots about the process for testing and certifying the drivers). Can someone from Lenovo indicate whether this is in place for the -- driver?

(beginning of quote from Microsoft:)

"Microsoft has introduced new requirements on biometric sensors to comply with Windows Hello quality guidelines. A new manual review process will be necessary to gain approval to interoperate with Windows Hello. The process will be enforced with an OS check for a specific signature obtained through the Windows DevCenter (here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/) that can only be obtained by undergoing the process in this document. Drivers that have been created and signed by WHQL before 6/1/17 are grandfathered. New and updated drivers that do not obtain this signature after this date will not work with Windows Hello in Window 10, version 1703 or later after the enforcement date.

A driver will always undergo manual approval to obtain the Windows Hello signature. Updates to approved drivers can refer to previous submissions for faster approval. Drivers must undergo a new review if it applies to a new sensor, or if changes to the matching engine have occurred that impact FAR, FRR, or presentation attack detection. 

The biometric signature enforcement date is 6/1/2017, after which drivers that do not contain the bio signature will not be loaded and will no longer work with Windows Hello." (End of quote from microsoft.com)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save