Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

11-01-2013

United States

6 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 1 of 10

Upgrade Yoga 13 to Windows 8.1 and now touchpad completely not working

2013-11-01, 22:31 PM

I upgraded my Yoga 13 to Windows 8.1 this afternoon and the touchpad was operating sluggishly.  On the forum it was suggested to download the updated drivers. After doing this I have lost the touchpad completely.  In the Control Panel -> Device manager the touchpad does not even exist.

I spojke with Lenovo support and they are recommending a full reset of the laptop to factory settings, something I would like to avoid if at all possible.

Has anyone had this issue?  Ideas on how to resolve short of a factor reset?

Thanks.

Options

54 Posts

07-17-2013

Jackson, MS

29 Signins

459 Page Views

• Views: 459
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: Upgrade Yoga 13 to Windows 8.1 and now touchpad completely not working

2013-11-02, 14:46 PM
Try opening a command-prompt and running "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" then in the same command-prompt run "devmgmt.msc", select view, Show Hidden devices, and see if there is a "Lenovo Pointing Device" (Synaptics touchpad). Uninstall the device, reboot and re-install the touchpad software available from Lenovo's support web site.
Options

8 Posts

11-01-2013

United States

6 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 3 of 10

2013-11-02, 18:34 PM

I tried that and there was no Lenovo Pointing Device shown.  I have attempted to reinstall the drivers and it errors that the Synaptic device is not found.  Thanks.

Options

3 Posts

12-07-2013

Reykjavik

14 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 4 of 10

2013-12-07, 12:18 PM

I am having the same result.

Initially, the installation of the mouse driver failed, but I then got it to install. However, I now get the message "Unable to connect to Synaptic pointing device driver". It also does not show up in the mouse properties even if it is listed as an installed program. When clicking on Mouse in Control Panel, it asks to uninstall the driver. I've tried both drivers for Windows 8 and 8.1 with the same result. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the energy management system first. What a headache!

What is the correct way to uninstall and install the right driver for Windows 8.1 on Lenovo Yoga 13?

Thanks for any help you can give me to solve this problem.

PS How do I get the Diagnose and fix software on this site to run on my computer?

Options

54 Posts

07-17-2013

Jackson, MS

29 Signins

459 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2013-12-07, 15:46 PM

Go to the control panel, uninstall the Synaptics touchpad driver, reboot, reinstall the latest touchpad driver from http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS038305. Reboot again. Make sure you press F6 at some point to enable the touchpad if it has been inadvertently disabled.

If this doesn't work make sure that you have a Lenovo 13 and not a Yoga 2 Pro. The touchpad driver is different on the Yoga Pro 2. The touchpad driver for the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro can be found here http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS037484.

Options

3 Posts

12-07-2013

Reykjavik

14 Signins

48 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2013-12-07, 18:06 PM

Thanks SpideyMan, but it still does not work.

I've done this a number of times now (also at your suggestion), and been careful to follow the procedure to a t, including rebooting in between steps. Yet, the same result obtains.

I have the Ideapad Yoga 13 (and not the 2 Pro version).

Options

54 Posts

07-17-2013

Jackson, MS

29 Signins

459 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2013-12-07, 19:21 PM

Is it possible that at some point in the past the Synaptics driver was updated either directly from Synaptics or from a non-supported source? How about a non-supported PS/2 mouse driver being installed? In those instances parts of the Synaptics driver might still be installed or there may be a PS/2 driver that prevents Syanptics from working correctly.  You may want to try the following.

1. Uninstall the Synaptics software and reboot.

2. Open an elevated command prompt cmd.exe prompt and type in "SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1". Now in the same command prompt "devmgmt.msc". Select the View menu and select "Show Hidden Devices".

3. Open "Keyboards" and make sure that "Standard PS/2 Keyboard" is the only devices and that the driver is the Microsoft supplied driver from 2006. Uninstall any other devices.

4. Open "Mouse and other pointing devices" and delete any Lenovo or Synaptics devices found.

5. Open "System devices" and delete any Synaptics devices found. You may see a "Synaptics SMBus" driver that needs to be removed.

6. In Windows Explorer open "C:\windows\system32\drivers" and switch to the details view and add a column for "Company".  Sort by the "Company" column and look for any driver supplied by Synaptics. Delete any synaptics related drivers found. Keep track of the name of any driver file that you delete.

7. Open regedit.exe and make sure that any driver that you deleted manually is also removed from HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services by opening this registy key and searching for each driver file that you deleted. Delete the corresponding registry key for each driver, if there is any hanging around.

8. Now reboot and try to install the correct Synaptics driver.

9. If all of this fails then restore your entire laptop to the factory default image, upgrade to Windows 8.1 again.

Options

3 Posts

12-07-2013

Reykjavik

14 Signins

48 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2013-12-07, 20:03 PM

Thank you kindly SpideyMan, for taking the time to walk me through this.

I managed to do it all and found a PS2 compatible mouse and another hidden mouse device. I deleted these. I did not find any Synaptic drivers to delete. In short, I tried all the steps but to no avail, or with the same result: Unable to connect to Synaptic pointing device driver.

I´ve done the factory reset to Windows 8. The pointing device is still not working. When checking the devices in the Device Manager, under Keyboard, I find a Lenovo pointing device listed, but when I double click on it (on the screen) a window pops up reporting "This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all of its drivers installed (Code 24). I then clicked on the driver tab and on update driver, which it reported was not necessary as the driver was up to date.   Hmm?

Everything works except the mouse. I guess, I need to take this computer to thr dealer....

Options

54 Posts

07-17-2013

Jackson, MS

29 Signins

459 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2013-12-07, 22:29 PM
It does sound like a hardware issue. Just call Lenovo Support at http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/feedback/contactsupport.page and you should be able to have it serviced. Just for grins, may want to try holding down the power button for 30 seconds and see if this changes anything.
Options

23 Posts

03-27-2013

huntington beach

264 Signins

1059 Page Views

• Views: 1059
  • Message 10 of 10

2013-12-08, 1:05 AM

Lenovo just reflashes ur pc with windows 8 if you send it in.  I sent mine in to fix a broken keyboard and they reflashed it without me asking.  I decided to keep windows 8 and I have no issues with my touchpad or anything now.  Windows 8.1 does not fully work with my yoga transition

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms