Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarcoSant
Punch Card
Views: 22,047
Message 1 of 43

Upgrade Yoga 520 with HDD to SSD?

Is it possible to upgrade a Yoga 520 with HDD to a SSD?

Or at least to add a SSD?

I've seen that Yoga 520 does have a model with SSD option, but it is not avaible here in Brazil, so after buying it (the one with HDD), I'm interested in upgrading it to a SSD or adding a SSd to it along with the HDD...

Does anyone know about it?

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 22,008
Message 2 of 43

Re: Upgrade Yoga 520 with HDD to SSD?

Hardware Maintenance Manual page 26:

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/yoga_520-14ikb_hmm_201703.pdf

shows 128/256/512 GB SSD. This would sit in your HDD area with a special bracket and maybe special cable.

It also shows OPTANE memory 16GB PCIE m.2. This is CACHE memory. 

Page 34 shows location.

Service Training Video shows HDD:

https://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/showcase?sid=1280&key=TGVuZw==

From what I see, you can remove HDD and add SSD with bracket/cable.

You MAY be able to use 16GB PCIE m.2 with larger m.2. Another user would have to confirm this. Beware of the size of this m.2.

MarcoSant
Punch Card
Views: 22,001
Message 3 of 43

I've talked to Lenovo Support, just a little ago, and they didn't know to explain me this that you are sayng. Thanks, man!

But one question remains: is it the motherboard the same in every country they sell it? Or at least the same in Brazil and US? The attendant couldn't find the motherboard model in lenovo system, so I can't figure it out yet.

They informed that I should replace HDD for SSD, such as you, but in Lenovo's site (American and Australian), there are models that use both HDD and SSD... so, how to know it?

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 21,991
Message 4 of 43

Yes I saw the supports SSD and HDD. I posted the link then deleted it.

I stated what I found in the HMM. The only way to support HDD and SDD, at the same time, is to use the 16GB m.2 cache slot.

Parts list:

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-520-14ikb/80x8/Part...

I find:

512 GB pcie SS part 5SD0l73443

256 GB m.2 2280 pcie ssd part 5SD0M56299

-other sizes of the above-

-HDD spinners- 

-still looking for the 16GB pcie.. parts list is 795 entries-

Maybe another forum user can clarify available options.

I dont think motherboard parts list is a issue at this time.

MarcoSant
Punch Card
Views: 21,986
Message 5 of 43

So, as far as I could understand you're telling me the following:

1 - Or I replace my HDD with a SSD

2 - Or I use my HDD with a Optane SSD of 16gb

Is that it?

If that's the case, and considering that you mentioned that the motherboard won't affect the decision, remains one last question: in the HMM there's the refference to a SSD of 512gb(and the part list), but at Lenovo's site in Brazil and the phone attendants told me that the maximum SSD size is 256 for my model (wich is the 14ikb). So, in wich do I put credtit to? And I still couldn't find the PCIE bus: x2 or x4... Do you know?

P.s.: I also didn't find the 16gb optame part list in the site.

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 21,983
Message 6 of 43

The HMM parts list is blank for HDD/SSD/pcie 16GB [sad].

I did NOT see a SSD bracket in the parts list.. I did see the HDD bracket.

I did not see the pcie 16GB offering in parts either.

The only place for SSD is in the pcie 16GB slot.

I would prefer a user that has used this 16GB slot to respond to your question.

If usable, this would support the weblink of BOTH HDD and SSD at the same time.

MarcoSant
Punch Card
Views: 21,978
Message 7 of 43

Thanks, man!

I'll wait some owner answer the questions...

AliOsram
Fanfold Paper
Views: 20,938
Message 8 of 43

Hi there,

I got my Yoga 520-14iKB today. This Yoga comes in my country with a 1 Tb hard disk only.

So I looked and found your useful information exchange. I looked up some on SSDs and got more and more confused..

Until I read this page and this page... I opened the back of my brand new yoga and identified the SDD slot...jsdd1.jpg

As you can see the slot has a single notch, meaning it accepts M.2.SSD's with an M-Key. (meaning it is x4)

The width of the space until you see a screw, is 80 mm. So it is correct that this slot will accept a M.2. 2280 SSD with an M-Key. On the 'lenovo-parts' website you guys posted, the given SSD's do not have pictures unfortunately. But if you look at the list at page 77 and google them, you get to see some of the products and where to buy them. Like this one or this one...

So I think I will get myself a 2280 SSD with an M-Key of 256 Gb and try it out ;-)

Ohzinho
What's DOS?
Views: 20,862
Message 9 of 43

Once you install the new SSD can you get back and tell us if it worked? I am researching the best VFM notebook for me and I am planning to purchase the Y520 or a standard notebook (Samsung Ultrabook), but I am inclined to buy the Y520. Also, only this Intel SSD works with Y520? Doesn't the Samsung SSD work as well?

On another subject, do you think that the Y520 is light / heavy for its purpose? For example, easy managing when inside an airplane or carrying it around in your backpack?

Thank you.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 20,858
Message 10 of 43

@Ohzinho  hello and welcome.  The Y520 and Yoga 520 are not the same.  Which one are you asking about?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors