Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AliOsram
Not applicable
Views: 6,788
Message 11 of 43

Re: Upgrade Yoga 520 with HDD to SSD?

I ordered myself a Samsung 256 M2 PCI-e SSD. It still has to arrive.

The Hardware-Maintenance-Manual mentions at page 77 several SSD`s.

I think you should look for them. These are M.2. SSD`s with a length of 80mm and a width of 22mm. They have a single notch (M-Key), as opposed to the 2280 (M & B Key) double notch SATA M2 SSD. The last one seems to be easier to find in my country (and cheaper).

My previous laptop was a Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 - 13 (Orange). (Yeah... Lenovo has a very confusing naming system) It was the best laptop I ever bought. I bought it during a time I was very mobile (not by plane,but by car... Another country another life.... As I said.. the best since I started using laptops (1997)... It was perfect.

When it died on me last week, I bought the Yoga 520. The terrible slow hard disk Lenovo put in, and the 4Gb only memory make it a terrible snail... Still beautiful... but by far not a shadow of my previous 4 year old Yoga 2...

I upgraded the 4 Gb to 8Gb. I ordered a 256Gb M2 PCI-e SSD. I am sure the annoyance about the rattling hard disk will go away when I remove it and put away between my antiques...

But.... This thing is 1.7 Kilograms.... Much more than the 1.1kg of my ex-love...

Flipping it over and using like a tablet was heavy with 1.1Kgs but do-able... But with 1.7Kgs and a surface of the yoga which is smooth (as opposed to the not smooth of the ex) I am afraid I will drop the thing....

The costs I made for the upgrades and these last named drawbacks, make me think I should have considered the Yoga 700 or 900... Even the Yoga - X1 series... Again Thanks Lenovo with the seperate products for the same thing... making it easier to choose for all of us :-) 

But to answer your second question: is it ok for a backpack or to manage in an airplane, I would say:definitely, without a problem... If you have more money to spend, consider these other yoga`s I mentioned.

MarcoSant
Not applicable
Views: 6,773
Message 12 of 43

After the Yoga 520 arrived at home, I purchased a Samsung 960 EVO 250GB and decided to try all the tests by myself.
It took some while, but I could finally set it up almost completely.
So, heres the deal:
1 - Install the new SSD on the machine. If needed, format it to make it visible to windows.
2 - I decided to fully clone my HDD to the SSD using EaseUS Backup Tool.

3 - Define the the option to boot in Safe mode in Windows options.

4 - Reebot and get into Bios.

5 - I had to switch the Bios options from RST to AHCI (not remenbering in wich option). It will warn you of something about drivers been erased and installed.

6 - Change the boot order to SSD first, instead of HDD (the SSD boot option should be listed, if it is not, you can try normally boot in windows trhoug HDD and then get into bios again to the next steps)

6 - Booting in safe mode, you can now install the Driver of the SSD and the Magician Aplication, both previosly downloaded from Samsung site. (I wasn't able to install the driver before the change in bios or in normal windows boot, because of the RST set in bios).

7 - After installed the driver and the Magician program, I coul acess the SSD configuration to then make the TRIMM option enabled and optimize the SSD trough windows tool.

8 -  After all that, I could boot in normal mode of windows and try out the other options in MAgician program.

I wasn't able to turn on the RAPID Mode. The program says it is not supported, though there's no compatibility problem. So, I strongly believe it is supported, but I could no find out how...

After all, I could disconnect the HDD and let just the SSD in the machine.

I am writing this by memory, so there can be some steps in different order or something be missing, but the main moddifications are these, FOR WHAT I REMEMBER.... I suggest you make a image backup of your entire system AND a recovery USB, for just in case...

I can tell you that the computer is WAAAAAAAAY to faster and better with the SSD.

If you manage to Turn on the RAPID Mode, please let me know.

AliOsram
Not applicable
Views: 6,719
Message 13 of 43

Hi there, time to let you all know about my adventure. 

I ordered myself a second hand M2 2280 256gb PCIe Samsung SSD. Since the half-lifes of these things are longer than mine, I thought a second hand wouldn`t be bad as long as it was not damaged. It was not. 

It is a Samsung XP941. One of the first, m2 SSDs of this category manufactured by Samsung.

I Paid about a third of the price I would have paid for a Samsung EVO 960 240gb.

Unfortunately NOT supported by Samsung. So the nice Magician software does not work for me, but it seems Microsoft builds all these features in updates in Windows 10 (more details here), so no need to worry too much about anything...

What I did...

Plugged in the SSD in the previously mentioned slot and fixed with a screw I had. Windows recognized the disk there was no need to format or no need to change any bios setting... much to my surprise...

I installed the latest samsung magician program to see what it would say and it said the SSD was not supported by the program. 

Next I cloned the harddisk on the SSD with some cloning program I found on google (todo backup). 

Then I shut down and removed the hard disk.

On the next boot windows started up immediately.

I checked before and after installation of the SSD the yoga 520 with Passware PerformanceTest 8.0. My passmark rating went from 1574 to 2652.

The hard disk mark went from 399 to 6871. A 17 times increase in hard disk speed for 60 USD... I can live with that and will definitely advise anyone buying a PC/Laptop without an SSD, to do the same or similar :-)....

Fayez1
Not applicable
Views: 6,398
Message 14 of 43

Yoga 520.jpg

Hi Every body ...... I want to upgrade my Lenovo Yoga 520-14IKB when i used Crucial Scaner which show this results in Pic to Convert the HDD to SSD i should used this sata drive and i found your useful replys that we can use M.2 SSD so help me to chose which one is right to buy
Thanks

Fayez1
Not applicable
Views: 6,301
Message 15 of 43

can you tell me....what's your Lenovo yoga 520 model .i want to know if the m2 slot is available in my model or not.

Fayez1
Not applicable
Views: 6,301
Message 16 of 43

AliOsram
Not applicable
Views: 6,211
Message 17 of 43

Hi there Fayez. I can not really see what kind of SSD this BX300 exactly is... I did a search on google and it shows some SSD with an adapter that you can plug in instead of your hard disk...

I think you should look for a more bare SSD... not with some adapter... Because in the Yoga 520 (mine is the same as the others mentioned before me) there is an additional SSD slot for an M2 SSD...

The SSD's that would fit and are popular are mentioned in the Hardware Maintenance Manual page 77: 

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/yoga_520-14ikb_hmm_201703.pdf

it mentions these SSD's which can be used: 

PM961 MZVLW128HEGR PCIE 128G 5SD0L73445

TSB XG4 128G M.2 2280 PCIe SSD 5SD0M56301

PM961 MZVLW256HEHP PCIE 256G SSD 5SD0L73444

TSB XG4 256G M.2 2280 PCIe SSD 5SD0M56299

Intel 600p 256GB M.2 PCIe SSD 5SD0M56358

Lenovo AM6671 256G M.2 2280 PCIe 5SD0N26459

PM961 MZVLW512HMJP PCIE 512G SSD 5SD0L73443

TSB XG4 512G M.2 2280 PCIe SSD 5SD0M56300

Lenovo AM6671 512G M.2 2280 PCIe 5SD0N26460

All PCI-e M.2 2280 SSD's

You could call (or email)the company you want to purchase your SSD from and ask them if the ssd they are selling is compatible with these SSD's...

Hope this helps.

Fayez1
Not applicable
Views: 6,188
Message 18 of 43

Samsung 850 EVO - 1TB - M.2 SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-N5E1T0BW) Is it Combatable or not

AliOsram
Not applicable
Views: 6,162
Message 19 of 43

Hey Fayez... You should look at the first message I posted... It says something about how to find your way between all these different types of ssds...

but here is direct answer to your question: If you ask my opinion: NO.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-EVO-Internal-MZ-N5E1T0BW/dp/B01G844PC0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=151...

this SSD is has 2 gaps... 

if you had chosen one of SSD's from the HMM I copied and pasted, for example: the samsung pm961 you find this link: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PM961-Polaris-512GB-MZVLW512HMJP-00000/dp/B06XJ95YVR and you see directly the difference: this one has just ONE gap...

the 850 EVO M2 SATA is a 2280 M2 SSD, but I believe it is not what they call a PCI-e... To understand this you will have to read the earlier documents I referred to...

Be careful by searching for just 850 EVO... because when you do so, I also found a  850 EVO MSATA (an even older SSD)... https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-850-evo-msata-250gb-mz-m5...

which is definitely NOT compatible with our laptop...

I know I am not making things clearer... but... show me the next candidate you find :-) (for example this one: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-960-EVO-Internal-MZ-V6E1T0BW/dp/B01LXS4TY6/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electro... )  this IS compatible...

Good luck

satriyo
Not applicable
Views: 5,703
Message 20 of 43

Ali, you are right. My Lenovo Yoga 520 14IKB is a also a snail (i5 8th gen, 4GB, 1TB). My previous laptop was on Win 7, with i5 too and it ran like a champ. Maybe it's because of the Win 10 turns out to be more hungry of resources. Now, major OSes seem to want to be connected and this costs us the power user many things. I am so paranoid that I installed Spybot which deters any moves from the OS to phone home or doing some telemetries or ads identification. But it changes some registry and my unit cannot do the Yoga thing. I managed to reinstate the registry and the rotation lock button comes up again. But still, while it can detect orientation again, I have to manually set it to tablet mode, it cannot detect position beyond 190 deg. to be in the tablet mode. Anyone here care to test their unit if it can turn into tablet mode beyond 190 deg. position of the hinge AND your touchpad is NOT ACTIVE? Mine is Win 10 Home, 1709, up to latest update cumulative update ... amd64 ... (KB4051963). AMD64... curious heh?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors