Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VerOlivier
Paper Tape
Views: 1,563
Message 31 of 43

Re: Upgrade Yoga 520 with HDD to SSD?

Thank you AliOsram
I just contact Lenovo support for my problem, for him, even if opening to add items (hdd or ssd) the PC must restart, there is no security or system that blocks after opening, he advises me to return it for exchange (purchase less than a week).
A priori, no bowl for me ....
I had it open just to check if a hdd or ssd on the Sata 3 port went in 7mm or 5mm.
Thanks again for your reply.
satriyo
Paper Tape
Views: 1,527
Message 32 of 43

Hi Ali,

A. Is it true that you had your hdd removed from your yoga 520? Why?

B. Can yoga 520 sleep with your SSD?

C. Did you unplug the battery connector prior to installing the ssd?

D. If you care to give us details of your ssd installation steps, it will be highly appreciated. One guy had gone to brick after opening his unit. I wonder why.

Thanks, Al.

AliOsram
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,475
Message 33 of 43

Hi Satriyo,

A: No. I did not have it removed. After cloning the hdd to ssd, I sımply removed the 2 screws of the hard disk and removed it. I do not need 1 gb... I use my laptop for simple stuff.. like web browsing and email :-) No games or movies that take up a terabyte of data.

B: I think it can... Mine sleeps with the SSD.

C: The manual (see the first or second post on this thread for a link to the manual) says you should disconnect before performing manipulation to any of the components. I think it is wise to do if you do not want stuff like shortcutting and so on.

D: I told about my experience on how I did it. Just go back to fırst or second page in this thread. There is one other guy who gave even more detail... 

Actually it took me more time to understand the story about the latest M2 sata EIDE ssd... I am from the 5 1/4 inch floppy disk and 8086 times...

The installation of the ssd is very simple. just perform the standard stuff.. lıke clone hdd, put it in. fix the screw and so on... do not forget to do the optimisations with this magic tools... 

As I said... opening something that belongs to you.... I think it should be no big deal... unless it says something like: warranty void if opened... 

And if you worry... have some expert install it... no computer shops around the corner? or the shop you bought your yoga from? I am sure they have done it more often.

Well.. good luck.. and let us know how you did :-)

Regards.

TRexHunter
Paper Tape
Views: 1,190
Message 34 of 43

Hi,

How about Samsung 960 EVO 250GB or 960 EVO 500GB , both PCIe NVMe.

Do they compatible with the Yoga 520?

hgberry
What's DOS?
Views: 1,160
Message 35 of 43

Yes it's compatible, i've done it.

Mitchellsx
Paper Tape
Views: 751
Message 36 of 43

Can anyone tell me can I install two SSD drives in the Yoga 520? An extra one including the one that’s already in there. Thanks

almora
What's DOS?
Views: 709
Message 37 of 43

hi..

I  yoga 520  i5 8250u 256 gb ssd bought it.

I can replace the 1tb HDD with the SSD.

hgberry
What's DOS?
Views: 697
Message 38 of 43

Good job
aladin_co
Paper Tape
Views: 489
Message 39 of 43

Dear AliOsram

I am about to buy an 128GB M2 PCI-e SSD to put into the free slot (optane slot) of my lenovo Yoga 510 IKB. Can you please make it clearer for me that the existing HDD will be faster when going along with this SSD or with an Intel Optane memory? To my understanding, you have put an 256Gb M2 PCI-e SSD into the optane Slot and keep the existing HDD in the default slot. Then the M2 SSD helps the HDD run a lot faster? is it right understanding?
THanks and look forward for you respond

AliOsram
Fanfold Paper
Views: 443
Message 40 of 43

Hi aladin_co,

I don't think I wrote that I did the things you said I did.

I have added a pci-e SSD (into the empty slot). and removed the hard disk (of 1 terabyte) because I had no use of it.

This makes the system a lot faster since you boot from a system that is on the SSD. If I remember right this shortened the startup time on windows 10 from a minute to a few seconds. ( please refer to the fırst posts for exact times).

IF you add SSD to the existing system and do not change the boot drive to the SSD, you will see no gain in speed in startup times or in speeds of your windows operations.  You will have added a disk to the system...  just as if you plugged in a USB for extra disk space.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors