Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ruplayer
Blue Screen Again
Views: 34,982
Message 1 of 17

Upgrading Lenovo Yoga Ram & SSD

Hi, I was upgrading my Lenovo Yoga 13 today and took some pictures in process. I am not a tech guy, just a regular consumer. I hope my instructions and pictures will help someone. Feel free to ask me any questions, I speak Russian and English. Lenovo Yoga has second unused SSD. I added 256GB SSD and upgraded 8GB RAM. 

I bought these tools at Home Depot. Make sure to get Torx T6 Screwdriver(in the middle)

Link to picture

Using a sharp knife with a flat blade to lift the edge of the keyboard.

Link to picture

Link to picture

At this point you will hear keyboard clips detaching and double sided tape under the keyboard will be making some weird noises too, don't get freaked out, but try to do it slowly so you don't break any clips.

Link to picture

Slide the keyboard up now, as shown on the picture below, but don't forget about the keyboard wire that is connected to your laptop, you don't want to damage it. 

Link to picture

Carefully flip the keyboard upside down as shown on two pictures below. 

Link to picture

Link to picture

Now move RAM holders away and it will pop like this

Link to picture

Now detach your old RAM:

Link to picture

Insert the new 8GB RAM and secure both RAM holders.

Link to picture

Now apply a little bit of force and lift that tiny black bridge that holds the blue keyboard wire and pull the wire off. This part took me a little bit of time to figure out. If you don't understand which "black bridge" thing I am talking about, compare pictures above and below.

Link to picture

With a little better brightness:

Link to picture

Now unscrew 5 screws that go through the metal frame with small phillips screwdriver:

Link to picture

Now unscrew 10 screws with Torx T6 screwdriver on the bottom of the ultrabook:

Link to picture

This is what they look like:

Link to picture

Now you need to apply some force and detach plastic cover with touch screen from the rest of the laptop. I used knife here. Sorry about the quality here, all pictures were taken with Galaxy s2 phone. 

Link to picture

This is what you will see when you open it

Link to picture

Insert your new SSD with approximately 30-degree angle as shown on picture below:

Link to picture

Push it down and use a screw that came with SSD

Link to picture

Now secure the body of the ultrabook and put all 15 screws in place.

Link to picture

Now pull in the keyboard wire and secure that black gate.

Link to picture

Put your keyboard back in place and apply some pressure on top. I recommend using double sided tape to replace the original tape before you put your keyboard back. 

Turn on your Yoga and do the following:

Go to control panel and search for "disk management" and do the following things:

Link to picture

Right click there

Link to picture

It will take yout to setup process.

Link to picture

Link to picture

Link to picture

Now wait until you see "Healthy" sign:

Link to picture

That's it.

You can check your RAM if you right click on "my computer" and choose properties

Link to picture

These are SSD and RAM that I used:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085J17UA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006YG8X9Y/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

I bought my Yoga 13 in Best Buy for $999.

I hope this was helpful.

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

sysboogie
What's DOS?
Views: 34,649
Message 2 of 17

Re: Upgrading Lenovo Yoga Ram & SSD

Thanks for the guide! Moreso usefull because of all step-by-step photos. Yoga looks a lot more viable with these upgrades.

I was wondering tho - is there a classic HDD of the same format that could be used as secondary storage? 1 Tb or at least 500 Gb would be great. The only concern then is shock protection and battery drain.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 34,635
Message 3 of 17

hi sysboogie,
there's not enough space for any hdd so it's not possible to install it.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Highlighted
gear259
What's DOS?
Views: 32,816
Message 4 of 17

Hi nice job on the upgrade. Just a few Q's if I may.

1. How are you finding it now after using it, did you come accross any glitches or anything you might have done differently? 

2. How long would it take me doing? I've taken another laptop apart once before so I have a bit of experience.

3. Just to be clear, the yoga comes with a redundant ssd slot with nothing in it and the other has the 120GB that came with it?  

4. Do you know if I can swap a US keyboard for a UK one or know where to find it?

5. Is there a limit to what capacities can be installed in this machine?  If a 500GB SSD were availalbe, would that work in thoeory?

6. Did you have any screws left over lol

GzyOnline
SCSI Port
Views: 32,756
Message 5 of 17

Any idea on how to restore factory content and partitions if replacing the factory installed SSD drive? preferrably without having to image the drive by some means?

I know I had a U310 Touch and I deleted all the partitions on the HDD and SSD, and then I wanted to restore everything to factory settings.. luckily I created a USB Recovery flash drive and it restored the HDD to factory settings, OneKey Recovery included!

Not sure if the same will apply to the Yoga..? I also have created a USB Recovery flash drive for it.

GzyOnline
SCSI Port
Views: 32,607
Message 6 of 17

Just upgraded my RAM, 8GB Patriot on sale @Fry's for $47..

With the right tools (definitely wanna use a pry blade), only took a matter of seconds! :-D

Thanks again for your post!!

GzyOnline
SCSI Port
Views: 32,561
Message 7 of 17

I put the keyboard back without applying any new double sided tape, and my keyboard is SUPER BOUNCY around the F5-F6-F7 keys... Smiley Sad after removing the keyboard, I was quite reluctant to apply any fresh double sided tape.. I imagined the tape I have would be too thick, especially after seeing how thin the black sticky film stuff they used in the factory is.. but everyone who writes about completing an upgrade says to use it, so it must be the right thing to do... maybe after I install the second SSD drive...

GzyOnline
SCSI Port
Views: 32,535
Message 8 of 17

Since when did Wal-Mart get into the computer components game?!?!

IhorLaputin
Punch Card
Views: 32,526
Message 9 of 17

First Drive in Yoga also mSata SSD ? Can I move samsung SSD to second connector and install new Inet SSD as first ?

headcrabby
What's DOS?
Views: 23,181
Message 10 of 17

Sorry for a dumb question, but will it affect the warranty?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors