BR

1132 Signins

6609 Page Views

• Views: 6609
  • Message 21 of 23

Re: Upgrading the SSD in a Yoga 2 Pro

2018-02-19, 17:47 PM

Hi yoga2projames,

I'm running Yoga 2 Pro (20266) with Windows 10 and correct drivers installed (Setup Guide).
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SDD mSata with Magician activated has a noticeable increase in performance and lower power consumption.
CrystalDiskMark 6.0.0 - Benchmark Test
I manually recreated all Lenovo's partitions with OKR Software and kept original OKR functionality.

Regards,

Options

31 Posts

03-16-2014

US

66 Signins

552 Page Views

• Views: 552
  • Message 22 of 23

2018-10-21, 21:59 PM

I followed the listed procedure to upgrade my Yoga 2 Pro from the original Toshiba 256GB SSD to a new Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD.Everything worked well except when I was done I couldn't launch  One Key Recovery using the Novo button. I eventually figured out how to get that working again.

Here are a few tips/suggestions:

1) When cloning my old SSD to my new SSD I used the Forensic Sector Copy option (under Adavanced Options) in Macrium Reflect 7 to ensure that I got a sector by sector clone of my old SSD.

2) When I installed my newly cloned SSD into my laptop I made sure that the Lenovo One Key Recovery Novo button still worked correctly and that I could get back into the system recovery environment.

3) I used EaseUS Partition Master 12.10 to move partition 7 (i.e., PBR_DRV) to the end of the disk (I did leave 1 MB of unallocated space at the very end of the disk).

4) I then used EaseUS Partition Master to move partition 6 (i.e., D:LENOVO) next to partition 7.

5) Then I resized partition 5 (i.e., C: Windows_OS) to use all of the available space.

6) I then shutdown and used the One Key Recovery Novo button to restart. I could not get into the System Recovery environment. When I selected System Recovery the laptop just booted back into Windows 10.

7) Through extensive research I discovered that the problem with One Key Recovery not working correctly has to do with EaseUS Partition Master. When you move/resize partitions Partition Master changes some of the partition types. If you change them back to what they were originally then One Key Recovery will work again.  See this article for more information: https://amigotechnotes.wordpress.com/2013/12/07/recover-lenovo-one-key-rescue-after-resizing-partitions/

Using DiskPart the partitions on my newly cloned SSD (before using EaseUS Partition Master) showed as follow:

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset

-------------  ----------------  -------  -------

* Partition 1    Recovery          1000 MB  1024 KB

Partition 2    System             260 MB  1001 MB

Partition 3    OEM               1000 MB  1261 MB

Partition 4    Reserved           128 MB  2261 MB

Partition 5    Primary            219 GB  2389 MB

Partition 6    Primary           4096 MB   222 GB

Partition 7    Recovery            12 GB   226 GB

(Note: the partitions are shown in different order in DiskPart then they are shown in Partition Master)

After moving/resizing partion 3 showed as type Recovery and partition 7 showed as type Primary in DiskPart. By following the instructions in the linked article and running the following commands in a cmd/powershell window I was able to reset the partition types back to what they were originally:

DiskPart

SELECT DISK=0

SELECT PARTITION=3

SET ID= bfbfafe7-a34f-448a-9a5b-6213eb736c22

SELECT PARTITION=7

SET ID= de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac

List partition

Exit

reagentc /disable

reagentc /enable

Note: the last two commands stop/restart the windows recovery environment

So, in a nutshell, make sure you use DiskPart to get a list of your partitions and their types before running Partition Master. Note: use DiskPart to get the partition details for each partition (taking special note of the very lengthy type code for each partition), or just use the codes provided in the article link provided. Then use DiskPart to reset the partition types on any partitions that have changed.

If One Key Recovery was working with your old SSD it should now work with your new SSD. You should make sure you have a recent One Key Recovery image stored somewhere (not on your new SSD), otherwise your only option when disaster strikes will be to restore your laptop to factory original settings and OS. You use the One Key Recovery app (not the system recovery environment) to make the One Key Recovery image. If the One Key Recovery app no longer shows in your start menu you can reinstall it by running D:\drivers\OneKey_Recovery\setup.

Options

31 Posts

03-16-2014

US

66 Signins

552 Page Views

• Views: 552
  • Message 23 of 23

2018-10-21, 22:04 PM
It is easier to disconnect the battery if you remove all of the battery mounting screws first. Then you can tip up the battery and get a better grip for removing the battery cable from the system board.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete