Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
asena
Paper Tape
Views: 3,063
Message 1 of 17

Using yoga 3 as a keyboard with external monitor

I am thinking of getting the Yoga 3, and occasionaly I would like to use an external monitor. My question is, can I put the yoga in kind of a shallow tent mode, and still use the keyboard? I'm guessing the keyboard and trackpad are disabled when you flip the thing into tablet mode, but what about in tent?

SO, from the closed position, I am hoping to open it about 200 degrees or so, or anything slightly greater than having it lay flat at 180 degrees.

Will this work?

Thanks!

rom123s
Punch Card
Views: 3,041
Message 2 of 17

Re: Using yoga 3 as a keyboard with external monitor

No, when your are over 180°, the KB and pad are disabled. But you can buy bluetooth KB and mouse.. What you want to do is weird, what's the point of plug an other screen if you do not see the first one ? TV ?

Views: 3,035
Message 3 of 17

Many people use an external as their sole monitor when at a desk. I have a wonderful 32" 2560X1080 monitor that would be wonderful to use the yoga with, but in a shallow tent mode, which would keep the screen out of the way, and angle the keyboard such that it would feel nice. This may be a deal breaker for me.

Guru
Views: 3,031
Message 4 of 17

1) Would you be playing games/doing graphics intensive tasks?

2) I will see if you can still use the keyboard in every mode, there is a driver in the Control Panel >> Device Manager I believe to control this.

I will post back my findings after work in about 8 hours.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
asena
Paper Tape
Views: 3,026
Message 5 of 17

1) no, I have a gaming rig for my awesomeness stuff. I'd be using the yoga for writing my great American novel, some light coding in visual studio. I like the 2560x1080 screen so I can have two large windows side by side.

2) thanks for checking if you can somehow hack the keyboard to work in tent mode.
rom123s
Punch Card
Views: 3,024
Message 6 of 17

Sorry I told you a mistake, when an extrenal monitor is plugged in, the yoga doesn't pass in other modes cause it assumes you use it in laptop mode. The screen will not rotate automatically if you pass it in tent mode for example but I do not remember if the KB and pad were disabled. I think they won't if you stay in laptop mode regardless of the position you choose.

I just tried to write with an angle of 190-200° (even flat), it's cool but you feel the KB is not on a solid surface (you get a kind of rebound), if you increase the angle (210-220) it does not move but you have too much angle), maybe it's easier to stay in laptop mode. 

Views: 3,017
Message 7 of 17

Hey, thanks rom. That is interesting. I have a laptop stand that has rubber feet that I could lay the yoga on in tablet mode. The screen side wouldn't get damaged or anything, and would add firmness missing in tent mode. This may just work.
Guru
Views: 3,020
Message 8 of 17

The screen res is QHD but the screen is ONLY 13" so on the ultrabook you wont be able to read it well when 2 screens are side by side.

If you plan to put 2 screens side by side on external monitor/TV, it will depend on the resolution of your monitor/TV as to how much you can see.

I dont think this is the right choice unless you travel a lot, write while travelling, watch movies, listen to songs etc. casual stuff.

If you really want a ultrabook, you cannot go wrong with this, its beautiful, artistic and powerful enough for your daily tasks. The keyboard is great IMO but it has less feedback since the device is so thin, so that is a personal preference.

I will get back to you again in the evening.

(Also, Surface is an option for you with similar price, I dont like it coz the keyboard costs extra and is just a lousy one. Personally it has ugly looks)

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
asena
Paper Tape
Views: 2,989
Message 9 of 17

Last night I had the Yoga in my best buy cart, twice, and I removed it. Today, I did it again and submitted. I am now the owner of the Yoga 3. Man, does it look nice, and it even feels nicer. Spent most of the afternoon just downloading MS updates and such. Haven't had a chance to try my monitor, not sure if I have a small hdmi cable around. I loved opening the box, and having the laptop rise out of it. Nifty trickery with the cardboard packaging.

I watched tons of videos and reviews, and I was kinda torn between the i7 Yoga 2, the Yoga 3, and the Dell XPS 13. That screen on the XPS 13 is amazing. The surface interested me not at all. Looking forward to writing on the couch tomorrow.

So far my only gripe is the powercord. It's kind of thick and short.. Makes it hard to use while plugged in. As if it's purpose is just to charge, and they use it on battery the rest of the time. But the battery doesn't seem to last long enough for that.

Guru
Views: 2,986
Message 10 of 17

Well, congrats. I hope you enjoy it as much as I am enjoying it.

I agree the charging cable is thick, to me personally I would prefer it thick than a thin flimsy looking. I use it occassionaly while charging but yeah the best way to use is without the charging cable.

At about 50% brightness and surfing, playing videos, listening to songs the battery seems to last about 4.5 - 5 hours. Maybe you need some charging dischaging cycles before attaining that much quantity of use from a battery.

Did you let the ultrabook charge to around full capacity (about 2 hours) before first use?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors