cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joelaw
Paper Tape
Views: 5,107
Message 1 of 11

Very poor battery life on yoga 920. Support now claims at most 3-5 hours not 10-15?

I am consistantly getting less than 5 hours on my yoga 920 even though the reivews and sales marketing state 15 (or 10 for uhd). I have taken a number of steps to reduce power consumption: Shut off cortana, set to power saver plan,and low brightness setting. I have been using the system only lightly for web browsing and reading gmail.

Is _anybody_ getting decent battery life from their yoga? If so please provide advice.

I spoke lenovo technical support that they stated that 3-5 hours is expected - not the 10-15 advertised. I feel that I have been sold a bill of goods by their advertising and reviewers.

From the chat"
 JOE LAW: what battery life should I expect for my yoga 920

JOE LAW: is it the 2-3 hours you first stated

Shaine: 3-5 hours is the normal battery life for your unit.

Shaine: And all the depends on how the computer being used.

Shaine: I understand that and I would feel the same way, that's why you may consult our Sales Team to check what they can do about you concern, Joe.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 5,065
Message 2 of 11

Re: Very poor battery life on yoga 920. Support now claims at most 3-5 hours not 10-15?

Well I fell for the same sort of misinformation on a laptop battery life too. Said it did around 9 hours even including web use and instead I got maybe 5 at best. The case should be made to create a real industry standard just like say MPG ratings on cars. Have some real honests numbers to compare with anyway. Maybe you still get slightly less then advertised from test. But far more realistic then some numbers I see for battery life. Other then checking for a battery defect, or something sapping battery life that shouldn't. I'm with you, not unrealistic today to expect 7 to 10 hrs battery life. 

Rootkit
Paper Tape
Views: 5,015
Message 3 of 11

Re: Very poor battery life on yoga 920. Support now claims at most 3-5 hours not 10-15?

Battery
Up to 9 hours with UHD display
Up to 12 hours with FHD display
* Based on testing with MobileMark 2014. Battery life varies significantly with settings, usage, & other factors.

I believe that you're having some issues with the battery!
joelaw
Paper Tape
Views: 4,998
Message 4 of 11

I thought so. but when contacted lenovo support, they said 3-5 is what you get from the model and were unwilling to investigate further. Any suggestions on how to diagnose the battery?

jetshine
Paper Tape
Views: 4,927
Message 5 of 11

I was 

@joelaw wrote:

I thought so. but when contacted lenovo support, they said 3-5 is what you get from the model and were unwilling to investigate further. Any suggestions on how to diagnose the battery?

Initially I was seeing pretty bad battery life estimates of around 5 hours, but it because of background proceeses downloading and installing updates (including the Win10 fall creator's update).  The OS image that comes pre-installed on the laptop is kinda old - like June 2017, so there are quite few updates & security patches to install.  I left it plugged in and running overnight to let it finish, and now I've been seeing 8-9 hours estimated run time more regularly. 

Jonny_0093
Paper Tape
Views: 4,858
Message 6 of 11

Hi, there are a lot of things you need to consider about battery duration, like brightness, power plan, etc.
Besides that, batteries in general doesn't reach the "Up to X hours" declaration , but always a bit lower.
I've a Lenovo Yoga 500 , bought in March 2017, and my battery is a 2cell 30Wh "Up to 4 hours" : in first months I was able to reach maximum of 3h:15m - 3h:20m (depending on usage), now it's around 2h:45m.
I'll surely buy a 3cell 45Wh, which is stated "Up to 6 hours": even if I'll reach more than 5hours, I'll be really happy to not bring the AC adapter all the time I'm outside home Smiley Happy

SalmanS
What's DOS?
Views: 3,086
Message 7 of 11

Hi Guys,

I'm on the same boat. Suffering from very poor battery life. I bought my Yoga 920 three days ago from Best Buy. The only reason I bought it because I thought it offers a very good battery life that lasts for at least 10 hours. I have an FHD model which I thought offers even better battery life as compared to 4K. Whereas, up until this point I have not seen mine going beyond 3.5 hours. All updates have been made. But it won't last more than what I mentioned. Any help? Should I return this product?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 3,073
Message 8 of 11

Well, you've only had it three days, so, yeah, exchange it if you want. Though, as @Johnny_0093 points out, it's all going to depend on settings and how you're using the machine. Playing movie files on mine with BT and WiFi on and 4 hours is probably the best I can hope for. If I do nothing but word processing in airplane mode with all the power settings set for maximum battery life and the brightness as low as I can handle it, then getting 7 or 8 out of it us a piece of cake. Maybe more. Mine gets about 1-3 hours' use per day and I only charge it when it hits 10%, so it goes 3-4 days without being plugged in. 

The BIG key is getting all those programs that insist on running in the background to not do that. Which is part of the reason I'll put it in Airplane mode unless there's something specific I need to connect to get. Too often I've found battery life declining quickly only to discover Windows Update or some other program is running in the background transferring lots of data to and from.. somewhere. 

As for advertised battery life, I always go by what the reviews say. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
SalmanS
What's DOS?
Views: 3,059
Message 9 of 11

DoctorDon Thanks for yor quick and detailed reply. I'm actually an IT Professional and have to battle a lot with systems. I heavily use programs like Visual Studio, SQL Server and I RDP a lot. Previously I was using Thinkpad Carbon X1 (Gen1). Funny part is, on this new particular machine I have not yet even installed any such programs yet. Becuase, I wanted to test how much battery life it is offering without those heavy loads.

Per my understanding, the only heavy program which is currently on this machine is McAfee and when I try to scan the whole system looks like the battery will die in less than 2 hours with full charge, BT & Wifi OFF and brightness at 50%.....sigh..is this what we expect from a hefty price tag laptop ...I don't think Lenovo claims about battery life are correct and it's just a marketing trick to sell product.....I'm considring a return.....however.... I am loving the design of this power horse.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 3,053
Message 10 of 11

I realize McAfee is a Lenovo partner, but the first thing I did was uninstall that from the machine. Being an IT guy, you're smart enough to not require anything fancier than MS Security essentials.. which will still run on it's own if you don't watch it.

Not that it matters, but I started my 920 around 9am, today, trying to troubleshoot WHEA logger issues for another user. Managed to figure it all out in a couple of hours and shut the 920 down. Fired it up a couple of hours ago to handle some social media obligations I have as part of what I do. Another two hours logged with WiFi and BT up and running.. using Chrome and the Facebook Metro app. So, that's roughly four hours of casual use and the gauge shows 4.5 hours remaining, though 60% charge. 

They always say "up to.." so many hours of battery life. I've always figured there's a way to GET that, but - like gas mileage - never in a "normal useage" scenario. I do trust the battery enough not to carry a chager on my weekly trips cross-state. The wife drives and I work. 4-5 hour round trip. Never finishes with less than 50% remaining. The 910 I have exhibits similar performance.. even after 18 months of ownership. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors