Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GallCohen
Punch Card
Views: 567
Message 1 of 5

Very slow wifi on yoga 920

Hey guys, while on wifi my speeds are very bad, connecting to a 200 mb network and only getting about 7 mb...

I just installed clean windows(had this problem before too), I have everything updated(drivers, windows and such).

I'd like your help to figure it out Smiley Happy

MW04
Fanfold Paper
Views: 534
Message 2 of 5

Re: Very slow wifi on yoga 920

Hi,

It's because of the awful wifi card in the laptop. I have a 920 myself and I just swaped the qualcomm card it came with, with an intel 9260 and it works great now. I have planned to make a post about it, which wifi card to buy and how to install it. It's cheap and dead simple. Just need to find the time to do it, probably tomorrow. I know many people are having the same issue.

Guru
Views: 514
Message 3 of 5

If you don't wish to change out the Qualcomm card, there are some things you can do to improve the WiFi:

1. Change the "roaming aggressiveness" setting to medium-3 if it's not already there.
  2. In the power settings, change the WiFi setting to "maximum performance." (If Windows Update removed those settings, you can get them back)
  3. Try to use only use the 5Ghz band. You can use an app such as WiFi Scanner to see where the congestion is on either band and set your router to avoid it.
  4. Lastly, use Event Viewer to look at your system logs for WLAN or DCOM errors. If there are a lot of either, you'll either need to address them.

Just remember that, on 5Ghz, distance matters. I have 10/100 internet and that's pretty much what I get on the 920 within 20 yards of the router. Go outside on the patio and it's about half of that.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
lenovotv
HDMI
Views: 505
Message 4 of 5

Will replacing the original one with the Intel 9260 void the warranty?

MW04
Fanfold Paper
Views: 491
Message 5 of 5

Hi, I put together a guide here

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors