US

10 Signins

129 Page Views

• Views: 129
  • Message 1 of 24

WLAN driver update issue - Yoga 910

2016-12-19, 12:36 PM

I have a 2 week old Yoga 910.

I have recently allowed it to do a driver update through the 'Lenovo Companion' program.

After restart I now find that I have continuous (>10mins) high CPU usage (>30%).  After investigating Windows Task Manager I note: "TODO: <File Description> (32 bit)" with subgroup "Qualcom Atheros WLAN Driver Service" is the culprit using >30% CPU.  As mentioned... this runs continuously.

The problem driver is Liteon WLAN Driver - 10[64] V.12.0.0.278.

I'm not sure why it shows under "TODO: <File Description> (32 bit)"... I have not seen this before... If someone could explain what "TODO: <File Description> (32 bit)" is that would be appreciated.

Uninstalling this driver rectifies the problem.  Using repair mode on the installer package does not fix it.  Re-installing this driver causes the issue again.  This driver update appears to be broken.  Please rectify.

Solved! See the solution
Options

1778 Posts

12-13-2016

US

4506 Signins

43326 Page Views

• Views: 43326
  • Message 2 of 24

Re: WLAN driver update issue - Yoga 910

2016-12-19, 14:05 PM

I had the same problem and found the solution in another thread on this page. Go ahead and leave the latest WLAN driver in place. Go to Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features\Uninstall a Program and look for a Qualcomm WLAN installer. Uninstall it. It's stuck, which is where the "TODO" entry comes from and the reason the processor and fan are running.  Once you uninstall it and reboot, all is well. You won't lose connectivity as the driver remains in place. 

I did back mine up, just in case. But it's normal, now.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Options

11 Posts

12-06-2016

US

10 Signins

129 Page Views

• Message 3 of 24

2016-12-19, 17:54 PM

wrote:

I had the same problem and found the solution in another thread on this page. Go ahead and leave the latest WLAN driver in place. Go to Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features\Uninstall a Program and look for a Qualcomm WLAN installer. Uninstall it. It's stuck, which is where the "TODO" entry comes from and the reason the processor and fan are running.  Once you uninstall it and reboot, all is well. You won't lose connectivity as the driver remains in place. 

I did back mine up, just in case. But it's normal, now.

Thanks for the reply Doctordon,

That almost worked for me.  However, in my case uninstalling "Qualcomm WLAN installer" takes it back to the previous version, rather than leaving the latest driver in place as you described unfortunately :smileysad:

I then tried re-installing V12.0.0.278 again manually afterward, and in this instance I now still find that "TODO: <File description>" subgroup "Qualcom Atheros WLAN Driver Service" (see attached screenshot) remains in Task Manager, however it is now using only 0-1% CPU and a small amount of RAM.  I believe this should not be there and was not there on the previous driver.

So... even though it is not sucking resources right now it still appears to be a failed install.  I shall uninstall again and see if rolls back again.  If it does I will not be installing the update.  Even though it is not using many resources right now, I think it is a ticking time bomb that could runaway as it did previously sucking resources, draining battery and cooking the computer.

Hopefully Lenovo will sort this problem out in a subsequent driver update.

As an aside I'm not overly impressed with my first Lenovo.  This is my second unit.  The first had half of the keyboard fail on it's second day and I returned it to Best Buy.  This unit has driver update issues as well as various pieces of built-in Lenovo software (such as the Lenovo Settings - Battery Gauge) have simply stopped working (I have a second post on this issue in these forums).  It is 2 weeks old and I have barely used it.  I have nearly no 3rd party software installed on it.  Lenovo have failed to respond to any support requests I have made and they appear to have no email support.  I have spent more time searching forums and trying to fix these issues than I have using it for it's primary purpose.  It has another 2 weeks to sort these issues out and impress me or it will be going back to Best Buy as faulty, and I shall get a HP whom I have never had problems with.

Options

1778 Posts

12-13-2016

US

4506 Signins

43326 Page Views

• Message 4 of 24

2016-12-19, 20:13 PM

Interesting. I'm assuming you updated the WLAN driver from within Windows' Device Manager. I did it that way as there's no external program involved. The Qualcomm installer has not returned to my program list and there is no "TODO" entry in Task Manager.

Options

13 Posts

12-20-2016

US

18 Signins

92 Page Views

• Views: 92
  • Message 5 of 24

2016-12-20, 0:31 AM

I had the same problem.

I went to Settings, System, Apps & features, clicked on Qualcom Atheros 11ac... and chose Modify.

Then select Repair installation.

It stops looking for another disk... ?

I just cancelled and it was Ok after that.

I did find a downloadable Lite On Wlan driver but it didn't look like the right one...

Options

1778 Posts

12-13-2016

US

4506 Signins

43326 Page Views

• Message 6 of 24

2016-12-20, 14:25 PM

You shouldn't need to download a driver on your own. Windows Device Manager finds the right one. 

Launch Device Manager from the Control Panel, expand the "network adapters" entry and right-click "Properties." Select the "Driver" tab. Next to "driver version," it should say 12.0.0.278.  If not, you can click "Update driver" and "Let Windows search.." It'll find the correct driver without launching any Qualcomm installers. 

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

11 Posts

12-06-2016

US

10 Signins

129 Page Views

• Message 7 of 24

2016-12-20, 14:38 PM

Thanks for the replies guys,

Doctordon, I originally updated using the Lenovo Companion App (not device manager) which has a driver update function built in. It found a number of drivers that were updated in mid-december.

After that failed, I attempted manually installing the driver downloaded from the Lenovo Support page... it has my laptop model and serial on file (it was entered and verified when I first set the account up). When I go to the support page it detects my laptop and lists the current drivers.  In this case it was the same driver that the Lenovo Companion App attempted to install.  I downloaded this and installed. Same problem.

Eabel... once I had manually installed it, and that failed, I attempted what you suggested which was to use the installer to 'repair' the installation.  This did not solve my problem.  The TODO:<file description> was still there and using CPU.

Doctordon... after that failed I uninstalled the installer as you mentioned previously and this rolled it back to the previous version.  TODO: <file description> now gone, and everything normal, however now back to previous driver.  I then tried something different (similar to what you alluded to in your last post).  After previous attempts to install, the installer had left an install directory at C:\drivers\Liteon WLAN Driver.  This contains the installation files for the driver I believe.  I then attempted to manually update the driver from device manager by pointing the 'device properties' > 'driver update' to this directory.  The updater does not update claiming my current (the previous) version is the most current driver.  However the Lenovo Companion App still list this driver as requiring updating and attempts to download the V12.0.0.278.

One way or the other Lenovo has done something screwy with the driver.  It's reasons like this that people like my mother (who don't know how to install and or how to troubleshoot a driver installation 3 different ways) go to Apple.

Options

11 Posts

12-06-2016

US

10 Signins

129 Page Views

• Message 8 of 24

2016-12-20, 14:43 PM

Sorry Doctordon...

We were obviously typing at the same time.

As mentioned in my previous post I had used the Lenovo Companion App to update all drivers and has only attempted Device Manager manually.  Let me try using the Windows search function.

Options

11 Posts

12-06-2016

US

10 Signins

129 Page Views

• Message 9 of 24

2016-12-20, 14:56 PM

Huzzah!

Well done Doctordon.  I have marked your post as the solution.  Rolling back all drivers... cutting Lenovo out of the loop... and just getting Windows to auto search the update directly from the device manager was the solution.

Why even have the Lenovo Companion APP then?  It is clearly a redundant piece of software if it actually causes more problems then it solves - or Lenovo have done something funny with their driver package.

Interestingly, I had tried a Windows Update earlier thinking that would have picked up the driver update but it did not... I did not think of using the device manager to manually force a windows auto update.

Cheers and thanks for your help.

Options

1 Posts

12-22-2016

IL

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 10 of 24

2016-12-22, 22:21 PM

hi, i had the same problem, but i fixed it very easily.

im not sure if it causes some problems, but im using my yoga 910 for 2 days and i didnt noticed any trouble.

inside the Task Manager, right click on it, then Open File Location, delete the file.

no more fan noises, and no problems so far.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save