cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bergywonderland
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,692
Message 1 of 6

What can the USB-C 3.1 port be used for on the Yoga 530 laptop?

Hi, I've recently bought a Yoga530 14-ARR and I want to be able to use some sort of docking station, but I cannot find a single piece of documentation that says what the USB-C port on this laptop can do.

Can anyone tell me if it can be used for charging?  Can it be used with a converter cable to HDMI/DP and output video to a 2nd monitor?  Can it be used with a docking station that has multiple inputs, such as ethernet/HDMI/USB?

If it can't be used for this purpose, what is it actually used for?  And if it can't can I do the above with any of the other USB-A 3.0 ports?

Many Thanks

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 10,662
Message 2 of 6

Re: What can the USB-C 3.1 port be used for on the Yoga 530 laptop?

Hi bergywonderland,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Based on the Yoga 530 Platform Specifications it shows that the USB Type-C that you have is a USB 3.1 Gen 1. In general it support 5 Gb/s data transfer speed and supports up to 65W power delivery only. Please check this link https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/Lenovo%20Tablets%20_%20Convertibles/Yoga%20530%20(14_)%20In... for more details about the specifications of the laptop.

As much as possible we recommend the customer to avoid using an adapter to avoid compatibility issues. If it is necessary for you to use an adapter you may get a third party adapter however, we cannot guarantee that it will work properly. I've tried to check also on our online store but we do not have that kind of specific adapter.

Regarding your concern with the docking station I check on this website http://accsmartfind.lenovo.com/ for compatible accessories for your laptop however, the Yoga 530 is not even on the list of laptop with compatible accessories. 

Let us know if you need additional information.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

bergywonderland
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,643
Message 3 of 6

Many Thanks for your reply JanGab_Lenovo

I took a look at that specification sheet before, but it still didn't really clear up my questions.

With the 65w power delivery - is that for powering other devices (such as charging a smartphone or connecting a HDD) or can I charge the laptop through that port?

Also, as it's not clear, do you know if the particular port on my model of laptop will output to HDMI/display port through either an adaptor cable or the aforementioned docking stations?  I just don't want to buy something and then it not be able to do what I want if the port doesn't even support it - and while I appreciate your answer, it didn't really answer my question on this.  (your answer basically said, if it supports it it will work, if not, it won't work - which doesn't help me much)

Strange that there are apparently no compatible accessories for this model of laptop.. have Lenovo just not gotten around to adding the laptop to this list?

Again, I appreciate your reply, just looking for a more definitive answer

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 10,628
Message 4 of 6

Hey there, bergywonderland! 

Another help here. In regards to your question "With the 65w power delivery - is that for powering other devices (such as charging a smartphone or connecting a HDD) or can I charge the laptop through that port?" The answer is YES, if the USB Type C port has a power delivery feature. However, as we were checking here, the USB type C port of the Yoga 530-14ARR only support a USB 3.0 and it does not specify in the PSREF https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/Lenovo_Tablets_and_Convertibles/Yoga_530_14_AMD?CID=ww:lenovosocial... that it has a power delivery feature. You may check the info in the User's Guide https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/yoga530-14ikb_yoga530-14arr_ug_en_201803.pdf?CID=ww... (check page 8) of the Yoga 530-14 ARR. 

For the additional accessory, you may use a Universal USB Docking Station (third party link https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Universal-Docking-Station-Ethernet/dp/B00ECDM78E from Amazon) if you would like to use a secondary monitor. Hope we have provided an appropriate answer to your queries. 

Regards! 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

TheGrowler
What's DOS?
Views: 6,893
Message 5 of 6

Hi, I have a yoga 530 and wondered if I can connect it to a monitor using the USB C port. I am aware there is an HDMI output but that is not convenient. Could I use it with something like this to do the job?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Type-C-to-USB-C-4K-HDMI-USB-3-0-3-in-1-Hub-Adapter-Cable-For-Apple-Ma...Smiley Tongue

Thanks

Jahkut
What's DOS?
Views: 2,425
Message 6 of 6

OK I should have googled first before buying adapter! very similar here, trying to do USB C to DVI via ALogic adapter and nothing works, it simply doesn't output anything and doesn't detect monitor.

SO much talk was about USB-C and wonders it will bring us, now we are in a situation when we don't even know what a particular port is capable of! Don't you love standards Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors