cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wng_kingsley7
Paper Tape
Views: 154
Message 1 of 3

What is the expected battery life of a Yoga 920 after a year of usage?

This machine was manufactured on the 27th of November, 2017.

So..I'm in a conundrum where I'm going to send off my Yoga 920 to be fixed again or have components potentially replaced. It takes roughly 2hrs to charge from 0% to 100%. Unsure whether downscaling from 4K to FHD makes a difference.

The battery once the charger has been removed is set to Battery Saver mode using 10% Screen Brightness lasts about 2 hours or less usage watching streaming video, ms office applications, file managments etc.

Using 100% Brightness non-battery saver mode which is less then optimal in my room + lighting condition = 1 hour tops I think roughly.

Lenovo Vantage previously reported my Battery only capable of storing roughly 40-50% of it's given capacity (Yellow Font "Fair"). 

Just gonna also ask if anyone has had an average of 50°C+ (hits 60-80°C) thermals i7 8550u, I would like to have lower operating temperatures since my first/last geniune laptop which was a Z460 and it didn't have too great of a battery life either.

I have tried unvolting in XTU and that was no bueno too.

Edited*

Kind upset with the battery life as you could tell. I was optimistic in my expectations that this machine may survive me 2-3 years with ongoing usage however  I'd rather not make this a Fake Desktop and charge it constantly. Kinda upset with a 1300+GBP investment.

Kingsley.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 127
Message 2 of 3

Re: What is the expected battery life of a Yoga 920 after a year of usage?

I have used a 920 but I don't have one.  I just want to make a general comment about batteries.  There is a big variation an how batteries hold a charge and how quickly they age.  Some variations are due to how the batteries are used and stored, and, as far as I can tell, some variations are due to luck.  All the Lithium cells for the various computer manufacturers are made by a small number of companies.  My impression has been that some cells just age better than others.  I haven't seen a pattern where one brand is better than another.  I think it is a lot like hard drives.  The MTBF numbers for all brands are similar, but you might have 2 Western Digital drives get sick so your impression might be that you hate that brand, but my impression might be very different is I had a couple of Seagate failures.  As far as storage, batteries do poorly if stored or used at very high or very low temperatures.  Your location looks like it is UK so that is probably not a problem.  I had a machine that was on battery several hours every day, then plugged in all night every night to charge fully.  I found that battery had lost about its capacity in a year.  I also have machines that are used more moderately and their batteries are several years old and still hold most of their maximum capacity.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 123
Message 3 of 3

Re: What is the expected battery life of a Yoga 920 after a year of usage?

@wng_kingsley7 wrote:

This machine was manufactured on the 27th of November, 2017.

So..I'm in a conundrum where I'm going to send off my Yoga 920 to be fixed again or have components potentially replaced. It takes roughly 2hrs to charge from 0% to 100%. Unsure whether downscaling from 4K to FHD makes a difference.

The battery once the charger has been removed is set to Battery Saver mode using 10% Screen Brightness lasts about 2 hours or less usage watching streaming video, ms office applications, file managments etc.

Using 100% Brightness non-battery saver mode which is less then optimal in my room + lighting condition = 1 hour tops I think roughly.

Lenovo Vantage previously reported my Battery only capable of storing roughly 40-50% of it's given capacity (Yellow Font "Fair"). 

Just gonna also ask if anyone has had an average of 50°C+ (hits 60-80°C) thermals i7 8550u, I would like to have lower operating temperatures since my first/last geniune laptop which was a Z460 and it didn't have too great of a battery life either.

I have tried unvolting in XTU and that was no bueno too.

Edited*

Kind upset with the battery life as you could tell. I was optimistic in my expectations that this machine may survive me 2-3 years with ongoing usage however  I'd rather not make this a Fake Desktop and charge it constantly. Kinda upset with a 1300+GBP investment.

Kingsley.

Good day.

What do you see reported if you open an admin command prompt, run: powerfg /batteryreport, and then look at the batteryreport.html file it creates? There should be some interesting statistics in there. If you reply with the file attached, we might be able to comment/advise further.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors