cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 109,016
Message 1 of 88

What's with the Yoga 3 Pro power adapter - it's a USB charger too?

The Yoga 3 Pro power adapter looks like a normal USB brick, and the cord looks like USB, except with a kink in the connector at the Yoga 3 Pro end. Can I charge my phone or tablet with it?

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 108,885
Message 2 of 88

Re: What's with the Yoga 3 Pro power adapter - it's a USB charger too?

Yes the Yoga 3 Pro power adapter is a USB charger too!

• How does it work?

The special "fool proof" charging cord has two extra pins on the AC adapter end and two extra pins on the Yoga 3 Pro end. The extra pins only make a connection when the fool proof cord is plugged in to the Lenovo charger and the Yoga 3 Pro. When a regular USB cord is plugged into either the charger or the Yoga 3 Pro, it makes a regular USB connection.

• Can I charge the Yoga 3 Pro with any USB charger?

No. The Yoga 3 Pro requires 2A at 20V, which is what the provided 40W Lenovo AC adapter supplies.

• Can I charge a USB device with the Yoga 3 Pro AC adapter?

Absolutely. In addition to 2A at 20, the Yoga 3 Pro AC adapter supplies 2A at 5.2V (10.4W), enough to charge a phone or tablet. Works for iPad.

• Where can I buy spare AC adapters and cords?

AC adapters with cords are sold in the accessories section of the Lenovo store.

• Where do I find the part numbers for the AC adapter and cord?

Look for AC Adapters In the PDF Yoga 3 Pro Hardware Maintenance Manual.

• What are the USB specs of the Yoga 3 charging port?

It's a USB 2.0 port. It provides enough power to charge an iPhone, but not enough to charge an iPad. If you want to charge an iPad, try the USB 3.0 port on the right of the Yoga 3 Pro.

• The Yoga 3 Pro power cable connectors compared with a regular USB connector:

Yoga3ProChargingCable.jpg

luboSF
Paper Tape
Views: 108,152
Message 3 of 88

Hi Thank you , definitely helpful since this detail is nowhere mentioned in manual or web page .... so if you for example ( as me ) loose charger ..... Now regarding extra charger I order mine 15 days ago ! today i received email that it would be shipped soonest in 15 days but accessory web page says - 4-5 weeks .... So any idea where else this thing could be sold ?
itaipreis
Paper Tape
Views: 107,903
Message 4 of 88

Hi,

Can I simply connect 40W 2A to the extra pins and charge it?

If so could I built an adapter from the old thinkpad chargers, and use them as spare.

luboSF
Paper Tape
Views: 107,884
Message 5 of 88

Old think pad are 65W and 90W , some were using 19V , I would rather recoment to check amazon for powerpacks ( extenal bateries ) with 20V output. I assume you have orginal Lenovo Yoga 3 pro cable , if yes ... lucky you because it is properietary connector and cant be bought. If not ( like me ) then you would have to open notebook and somehow connect directly....  New chargers / cables have now 4 weeks estimated delivery time ...

lenanto
SCSI Port
Views: 107,754
Message 6 of 88

Bananaman -- great overview!

While the charger is great for its lightness, one thing that seriously annoys me is the short length of the cable. It is 1.85m from adapter to laptop, and on the adapter side it just plugs in directly to the wall. This makes it literally half the length of many other Lenovo chargers, which have another cable from the adapter to the outlet. What that means is that you need to be very close to an outlet to use it. In both my home and office desks, I need to use an extension cable from the outlet to the base of my desk.

Lenovo doesn't seem to sell any longer cables (or rather they don't even sell the original cable at least not on the web store). Anyone know if this unique cable is sold anywhere else in the world, and if there is a longer one?

Also note that you can't use a standard USB extension cable (i.e. male to female), since that has four pins only, and won't be recognized for charging the Yoga 3.

emoreau99
Paper Tape
Views: 107,641
Message 7 of 88

Is it the same power adapter as the Lenovo Miix 2 11.6" ?

And do you know if we can use the ThinkPad OneLink Adapter?

barstisg
What's DOS?
Views: 107,404
Message 8 of 88

Could someone post a link to where I could buy an additional power cord? Cannot find it on the lenovo online store. Thanks!

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 107,365
Message 9 of 88

@emoreau99 wrote:

Is it the same power adapter as the Lenovo Miix 2 11.6" ?

And do you know if we can use the ThinkPad OneLink Adapter?

Hi emoureau99!

From the hardware maintenance manuals, the Miix 2 11 power brick is the same as the Yoga 3 Pro power brick, but the "USB" power cord is different. I have not tried a Miix 2 USB cord with a Yoga 3 Pro.

No we can't use the ThinkPad OneLink Adapter.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 107,364
Message 10 of 88

@barstisg wrote:

Could someone post a link to where I could buy an additional power cord? Cannot find it on the lenovo online store. Thanks!

Hi barstisg,

At the moment it's coming and going from Lenovo online store. I would check every few days. It took about three weeks for mine to be delivered.

Hope this helps!

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors