cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeattleUser2014
Paper Tape
Views: 11,794
Message 1 of 6

Where can I download the missing DVD player software for the Yoga 2?

I just bought a Yoga Pro 2 for Windows 8.1   I bought the optional Lenovo USB Portable DVD Burner Model DB65. Yet when I put in a DVD to play, the system recognizes it (the drive lights up and the DVD and files show up in Windows file explorere) but nothing happens.  There does not appear to be any software included with the system to play DVDs.  This is puzzling as other computers I have bought that included DVDs always had player software.  I spent about an hour and a half scouring Lenovo support pages and forums to no avail. 

Surely there is a download somewhere on the Lenovo sites for this? Or is the expectation of Lenovo that you have to buy player software in addition to the DVD Burner? If the later, can Lenovo recommend the best player software to buy?

partymonkey
Punch Card
Views: 11,633
Message 2 of 6

Re: Where can I download the missing DVD player software for the Yoga 2?

I think you might be running into the issue that:

1)  The Yoga 2 Pro does not have a DVD player built-in, and therefore they don't include DVD playback software

2)  Windows 8 (or 8.1) no longer includes the codecs to play DVDs and such.  You have to upgrade to the Professional edition of it.  (silly, yes).

I would personally just grab VLC Player from videolan.org, and use that.  Works perfectly fine, and it's free.

(Did the external USB DVD not come w/ software?  That's actually strange).

Guru
Views: 11,611
Message 3 of 6

Download one of these free media players Smiley Wink, that should get you started :

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

Kattastrophe
What's DOS?
Views: 11,011
Message 4 of 6

VLC Player doesn't work perfectly. I've downloaded, restarted, uninstalled, reinstalled and restarted to no help. I can't even find it in my system. I know it is there, downloaded...

queen_mercury07
What's DOS?
Views: 5,548
Message 5 of 6

I used the media classic link to download a dvd driver, and I can FINALLY PLAY DVDS!!!

12robbst
Paper Tape
Views: 4,280
Message 6 of 6

need driver l412 thinkpad dvd player

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors