cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trossin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,620
Message 1 of 6

Why does the touch pad stop working on Yoga 13 when I press and hold a letter on the key pad?

So 15 years ago I wrote an Open GL 3D editor and implemented a key board short cut to do a rotation when I press CTRL + SHIFT + Z and move the mouse.  On my HP laptop this works fine.  On my new Yoga 13 (which I just lost 4 GB of disk space), the touch pad/pointer stop moving when I press these three keys.

I found that if I press the SHIFT or the CTRL or both of them, it works fine but if I press any letter key, the mouse pointer can be moved a little and then it stops until I let go of the key.

I'm pretty sure this is a bug.  Maybe there is a driver fix for this problem?  If I press CTRL+SHIFT+Z then move my finger around the LCD screen, my model rotates as expected.  I just can't do it with the touch pad.

You can reproduce this problem by just pressing the Z key and moving your finger around the touch pad while reading this post.  It seems to correlate to the auto repeat start up delay.

UNSCleric
Punch Card
Views: 1,599
Message 2 of 6

Re: Why does the touch pad stop working on Yoga 13 when I press and hold a letter on the key pad?

I don't have a use for doing this, but my Yoga has the same issue, where only those two keys allow the trackpad to continue moving.  Maybe it's to try and help stop the trackpad from interferng while typing or something?

Cody123
Paper Tape
Views: 1,595
Message 3 of 6

Re: Why does the touch pad stop working on Yoga 13 when I press and hold a letter on the key pad?

It's because of poor drivers.  You have to move the PalmCheck slider in Synaptics settings all the way to the left, which sacrifices palm check control but does solve the issue.  

trossin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,573
Message 4 of 6

I did a find for Synaptics but could not find it. I found a Synaptics pointing device settings in the group of crud to the left of the battery icon but found no PalmCheck slider. I had bad tendonitis so I've learned to keep my palms up while typing. Any hint on where to find this would be great.

Thanks.

mikey94025
802.11n
Views: 1,577
Message 5 of 6

Right-mouse on the Synaptics toolbar icon  to bring up Mouse Properties, select the Device Settings tab, press Settings to bring up Properties for Synatpics ClickPad, on the left open Pointing... Sensitivity... Palm Check.  This is a feature to prevent accidental touchpad movement by your palm while you're typing.  So it prevents use of the touch pad when keys are directly used.

Good luck!

trossin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,552
Message 6 of 6

Thanks.  That did the trick!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors