Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matt104
Fanfold Paper
Views: 19,863
Message 1 of 15

WiFi drops

Hi,

I am Lenovo yoga 710 14" (win10) owner with artheros QCA614xA wireless cwrd. I am struggling with WiFi dropping. It drops randomly. I can notice that when I play games or watch TV online . It stops working for about 1 minute and then restarts and it's ok . Already updated driver  to the latest version . This is very annoying. I have got through all these solutions but still nothing . 

support.lenovo.com/in/pl/solutions/ht502846

Also it can not be the router fault becouse when I turn on some online game  on Asus laptop (win10) and put next to my Lenovo with the same game , My Lenovo drops signal  and Asus is still fine. 

Can You guys help me ?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 19,829
Message 2 of 15

Re: WiFi drops

First, I think you mean Atheros QCA61x4A.  There are SO many things that could be causing this.  If you've already brought your computer up to date (including the BIOS) and reinstalled the adapter, then there are some other things to try. 

Change the roaming aggressiveness. Device Manager>Network Adapters>Qualcom Atheros QCA61x4A. Right click on it, choose Properties. Under the Advanced tab, scroll down until you see Roaming Aggressiveness. It's probably set to 3-medium. Set it to the lowest. Or at least lower than what it's currently set at. Mine is on 3.

Change the power management for the WiFi to "maximum performance" under Settings > System > Power and Sleep > Additional Power Settings > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings > Wireless Adapter Settings > Power Saving Mode.

Might also help to download a WiFi analyzer tool to see where your neighbors' WiFi networks are. I had to do that and give my 5Ghz band a separate SSID so I could force my laptop to only connect to the 5Ghz band and stick on a channel my neighbors don't use. That's worked perfectly for me. No more drops.

If none of that helps, it's time to look at your Event Viewer's System logs to see if there are any DCOM or WLAN errors that need to be fixed.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Matt104
Fanfold Paper
Views: 19,828
Message 3 of 15

Hi. Thank you very much for repsond. Yes, it is Atheros QCA61x4A . I think I have done all those power settings options . My laptop is all up to date . Can You give me more details with changing band and SSID, please ?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 19,825
Message 4 of 15

It's the roaming aggressiveness that'll make the most difference.

I have a dual-band router. In the router's setup pages, the default is for one SSID for both bands. But it can be changed so each band has a different SSID.  I used WiFi Scanner (from the Windows Store) to identify the bands and channels my neighbors' routers were using. 2.4Ghz is insanely crowded around me. My router's default channels setting was "auto." I changed that on 5Ghz to a channel the neighbors aren't on.  I had to do this as the router had a nasty habit of just going to the lowest channel and sitting there... which is what all my neighbors' 5Ghz routers do. So, with the router set to different SSIDs and stuck on the least-used channel, I was able to get all of my 5Ghz-capable devices to stick. A couple of weeks, ago, I got a newer router that has three radios.. 1 2.4Ghz and two 5Ghz.  All our phones are now "assigned" one 5Ghz channel, the laptops are on the other one and everything else in the house (thermostat, camera, older computer) is on the 2.4Ghz band.  Everything works beautifully well.

But you'll have to dig through your router's manual to figure out how to do that. They're all different, so I can't give you any instructions except for my own.

Matt104
Fanfold Paper
Views: 19,815
Message 5 of 15

Ok. I can confirm that playing with bands didn't help. 

Can you explain me how to check in event viewer for any errors , please ?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 19,811
Message 6 of 15

You DID change the aggressiveness setting, right? 

Router firmware up to date? 

Windows Key and type "Event Viewer" It should come to the top. Navigate to "Windows Logs" then "System." Look for any red or yellow entries that correspond to the approximate times of the drops. 

Failing that, look for something else that's causing interference, such as LED lights.

Matt104
Fanfold Paper
Views: 19,782
Message 7 of 15

Yes, I did change the aggressiveness.

ok, went into event wiever and I can see many, many errors and warnings. It is hard to say what ones correspond to wifi drop. But some of it are keep repeating ,

error codes 10016 and 10010

warning code 37 (7)

I don't understand anything of it, so hopefully this is what you need to solve my issue .

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 19,769
Message 8 of 15

If there are a lot of them, then it gets really complicated.. depending on what they are. 

Look next to the red circles and yellow triangles and post what you see.  Such as...

"DCOM error"  or WHEA Logger"  Highlight those lines, choose the "general" tab from the field below and post what you see.

Here's an example:

Warning. WHEA Logger - Event ID 17 

Under that, it says 

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

BusSmiley Very Happyevice:Function: 0x0:0x1C:0x4
Vendor IDSmiley Very Happyevice ID: 0x8086:0x9D14
Class Code: 0x30400

Matt104
Fanfold Paper
Views: 19,766
Message 9 of 15

I think that 10010 error is called DistributedCOM. It says something about server did not register to DCOM model in required time .

And 37 (7) is called Kernel processor power . it says about processor speed beeing limited by firmware for 71 s . Do You know how to fix  it ? 

Matt104
Fanfold Paper
Views: 19,736
Message 10 of 15

Currently I am using a mini single band WiFi card adapter which works perfectly fine for me . That is very strange . 

.. But at least it works Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors