09-13-2020

US

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 7

Wifi Keeps dropping

2020-09-13, 17:48 PM

I just got a Yoga C740, and my wifi intermittently drops. This is not a good thing since I’m teaching remotely from home. I thought it was my router, so I got a replacement. Now I see that it is not, and apparently this is an issue with these laptops. My computer is brand new and running Windows 10. Please help so I don’t get kicked out of a Google Meet while teaching my 4th graders!

Thank you!! 

Options

2450 Posts

12-13-2016

US

4925 Signins

50211 Page Views

• Views: 50211
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:Wifi Keeps dropping

2020-09-13, 18:43 PM

@ LongIsland1970 wrote:

I just got a Yoga C740, and my wifi intermittently drops. This is not a good thing since I’m teaching remotely from home. I thought it was my router, so I got a replacement. Now I see that it is not, and apparently this is an issue with these laptops. My computer is brand new and running Windows 10. Please help so I don’t get kicked out of a Google Meet while teaching my 4th graders!

Thank you!! 

Welcome to the Community.

What router did you have and what did you replace it with? See this post for some things to try, but don't do anything until you see if it fails on a different network. My 910 would fail on my old Trendnet router, but would work fine using my phone as a hotspot. I'm now on an Asus router with the computer forced to 5Ghz and the router on a fixed 5G channel my neighbors aren't using. Problems gone.

Doc

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Using Browser Search To Find Answers in the Lenovo and Moto Communities
Check out our new Recent Service Tips Area ..your issue may already be solved!
Options

3 Posts

09-13-2020

US

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2020-09-13, 20:06 PM
Hi .Thank you for your response. I had a FIOS issued router model MI42WR which I've had for about 8 years I believe. I am now using another FIOS router model G1100. I don't know whether I need to update drivers on the laptop, although I did an update through Lenovo Vantage. Should I choose the 5g option on the router? This is annoying!
Options

2450 Posts

12-13-2016

US

4925 Signins

50211 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2020-09-13, 21:08 PM

I have no experience with that router, but any time you can stick to 5 over 2.4 (assuming you're close enough to the router), it'll help. 2.4Ghz is insanely congested. Even better is to use a wired connection: ethernet cable from your laptop to the router (you'll likely need an adapter, but they're cheap). 

The best test is still to try your computer on another network, such as at work, a friend's house or a coffee shop. If it works there, then that rules out the laptop and might save you some time. If it fails everywhere, go to the link in my first reply and work through those ideas.

Doc

Options

3 Posts

09-13-2020

US

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2020-09-14, 0:52 AM

Hi. I connected to the 5G and so far I've been connected all afternoon. The true test will come when I'm working tomorrow!

Thanks for your time and advice. 

Options

2450 Posts

12-13-2016

US

4925 Signins

50211 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2020-09-14, 14:22 PM

Good to hear. Keep us posted. Hopefully, you just had interference at 2.4GHz. Common, given how many computer and non-computer oriented devices use that frequency. 

Doc

Options

5 Posts

09-15-2020

PK

3 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 7 of 7

2020-09-16, 16:37 PM

is your issue resolved? i have the same problem but haven't found any solution so far

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete