Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Defacta
Punch Card
Views: 288
Message 1 of 9

Wifi problem with Qualcomm network card

Hello,

I loose connexion and lost a lot of packets with my Yoga 720 Qualcomm network card.
Example of ping a local ip 192.168.0.254:
1.jpg

23% of packets lost.

So I desactivate the Qualcomm network card and reactivate it:

2.jpg

Then it's working back and fine, not loosing any packets anymore:

3.jpg

What can I do ? I already installed the last driver from https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/fr/fr/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-720-15ikb/80x7/80x...

Thanks,

Vincent.

Defacta
Punch Card
Views: 241
Message 2 of 9

Re: Wifi problem with Qualcomm network card

I have installed Microsoft default driver, the version 12.0.0.697 :

Qualcomm driver.jpg

It's working much better, I can use it but it fails sometimes and I have to cut the Wifi and restart it.

Another info: I have no problem with the network at work, it's like the card is not 100% compatible with all networks!

To be more specific, this card is not working fine with a Wifi network shared by an iMac and also with a d-link wifi repeater, this one:
https://eu.dlink.com/uk/en/products/dap-1365-n300-wifi-range-extender-with-power-passthrough

Any idea?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 216
Message 3 of 9

If it works at work, but not on your home network, it might be time to update the firmware on your router or get a new router. Older routers don't always play nice with the power-saving features of the Qualcomm cards. I couldn't get a 6-year-old Trendnet to work with them, so I got a Netgear Nighthawk. Even then, I had to update its firmware, uncheck "Let Windows turn off this device to save power" in the Qualcomm's properties' tab, force 5 GHz only and lower the Roaming Aggressiveness of the Qualcomm. It's all pretty flawless, now, though I have to reboot the router every week or so... which I consider normal, anyway. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Defacta
Punch Card
Views: 199
Message 4 of 9

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

The wifi repeater I am using at home is not old, I have bought it last week and it's working fine with iphones, a mac and an old PC.

I have lowered the Roaming Aggressiveness of the Qualcomm to 1. Lowest. and Let windows turn off this device to save power was already unselected.

I don't know how to force 5 GHz.

If the Wifi is working fine on others computers or phones, that means that the problem is from my PC.

I think that Qualcomm wifi card is not a good device.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 195
Message 5 of 9

@Defacta wrote:

I don't know how to force 5 GHz.

If the Wifi is working fine on others computers or phones, that means that the problem is from my PC.

The fact your PC runs fine on other routers rules that out. Plus, the other equipment that DOES work with your router undoubtedly has different WiFi equipment.  To be honest, the Qualcomm cards leave a bit to be desired. There are a number of things you can try, but if you're dead-set on not changing anything on the router end, perhaps changing to an Intel WiFi card might be easier. A lot of members on this board have found success with those. I put one in my wife's Dell.  But, as mentioned above, I have the Qualcomm's running fine, now.

You might also look into WiFi Scanner or other software that can see what else is around you that might be interfering. That's why I suggested forcing 5Ghz. If you have a dual-band router, assign different SSIDs to 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz, so you can force your computer to connect only at 5Ghz.  Using a WiFi scanner, you'll find the 2.4Ghz band is very crowded...neigbors' WiFi, smart devices, etc. With dual band routers where the SSIDs are the same for both bands, Windows has a habit of dropping to 2.4Ghz and staying there, especially if you move around or are approaching the distance limit for 5Ghz. I found a 5Ghz WiFi channel that nothing around me uses. The router is forced to stick on that channel. Coupled with the above-mentioned settings.. no issues. 

I will add one thing to the mix. Check your Event Viewer for DCOMM or WLAN errors. There are some Windows updates that have caused issues. If you don't see a lot of those, you're good. 

Defacta
Punch Card
Views: 164
Message 6 of 9

The wifi repeater is not configurable on 5 Ghz.

There is no WLAN error on Event Viewer expect DNS stuffs...normal I loose connexion...

How to change to a an Intel WiFi card? I have to open the PC I guess, isn't it?

Screenshot of the Wifi around me, not so many I am not in a city center.

Wifi Vigoulet.jpg

The troubles is with the Wifi "Wifi Etage".

Highlighted
Defacta
Punch Card
Views: 157
Message 7 of 9

Another info, never talk about 5Ghz wifi networks when you have this network car, the Qualcomm Atheros 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter is a single band wifi card that only works on the 2.4 GHz wireless band.

Pfff, such a good computer with a so bad wifi network card to save $2 on the price of supplies!!!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 155
Message 8 of 9

@Defacta wrote:

How to change to a an Intel WiFi card? I have to open the PC I guess, isn't it?

That's a lot of stuff occupying the same channel, if I read that correctly.

Yeah, you'll need to open the PC. If you're not comfortable doing that, any good computer shop can handle it for you. There are likely YouTube videos detailing the whole process for your model. Also, dig through the parts list for your computer to make sure the Intel chip you choose is whitelisted in the BIOS, though I don't think I've seen too many users run into issues with Intel.

Best of luck.

Defacta
Punch Card
Views: 135
Message 9 of 9

@Doctordon wrote:

Best of luck.

Shoud I dare?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqxPdv21_Mk

3a0e0262f98816032b738052f1f0912b.png

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals