729549 Page Views

• Views: 729549
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Will steam work on the Lenovo C630?

2019-07-10, 21:51 PM

Hi ahawkua,

Greetings.

On an independent review here:

Here's where things get a little complicated. Turn off 'S' mode and the Yoga C630 attempts to emulate the x86 architecture. In theory this means you should be able to try to run just about any Windows app. However, installers that check your CPU beforehand will often block you. Epic Games's platform does, for example. Sorry folks, you can't play Fortnite on the Yoga C630 WOS - not yet anyway.

Steam seems to let you install whatever you like. However, this highlights the limits of the CPU architecture emulation, and perhaps the Snapdragon 850's power.

Skyrim runs, but even at 720p resolution 'Low' settings the frame-rate is erratic. It reaches 30fps at times but drops to single figures on occasion when loading, say, a city's buildings. And when you go underwater, the screen becomes a sheet of block colour because graphics rendering is partially broken."

The machine is not intended much into gaming but more on office computing and video streaming. Triple A titles would surely be a big challenge.

I hope this helps answer your query.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

1 Posts

09-13-2019

US

1 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Will steam work on the Lenovo C630?

2019-09-13, 1:51 AM

Short answer, yes, if you turn off S mode.

Then the answer gets complex, while steam will run and your whole library is there, what you can do with it depends on your expectations.  I have installed and run Civ IV (an older game), Shadowrun (not too old) and Grim Dawn (a newer game) with success, though you do need to tweak the settings to optimize performance.  The game also has to be 32-bit to run since WOS cannot yet emulate 64-bit X86 programs.  I would say the "game performace" is on par with an Intel m3 machine, while the productivity machine aspect is on par with a mobile-variant i5.

It isn't a gaming machine but that doesn't mean you can't do some gaming on it, as long as your expectations are realistic.

I have not tested Steam's streaming performance (within a network, say from your gaming rig)

BTW, I tend to use GOG, less overhead in the gaming framework IMO

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save