Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gene_G
Punch Card
Views: 4,184
Message 1 of 7

Win 8.1 Upgrade on Yoga 13...My Experience

I have difficulty waiting for the "official" Microsoft release of the 8.1 upgrade on Oct 18 so I decided to use my official Technet 8.1 ISO to do the job now.  The process was even easier than I imagined but I did have to tweak a few things after the upgrade was finished to eliminate a few minor problems.

Run the upgrade from within your current Win 8 installation.  I wanted to keep the current CORE version so I ran Setup.exe from Windows Explorer.

I was expecting to enter the generic Core product key but never had to...Setup provided me with the upgrade options without asking for the key.  I wanted to keep all programs, files and options intact even though I had a pretty generic and simple Win 8 environment.

Upgrade ran without any hiccups.

I was expecting that I would have to change the product key to the Lenovo OEM key to activate but the upgrade picked up the correct key automagically.  When I checked after the first boot, Windows 8.1 was already activated.

I did have to reinstall the audio driver package because the upgrade messed up the Dolby Sound package...I kept getting error message on desktop for missing files when I started Win 8.1

I also had a "SecureBoot isn't configured correctly" watermark in lower right corner of the desktop.  After struggling with how to get booted into the UEFI, I had to reset BIOS to use UEFI and use the SecureBoot feature.  Watermark was still there until I went back into UEFI and used option to reset/refresh the Secure Keys from Lenovo.

Everything else seems to be fine but as I said, my Yoga is really quite generic.  My Yoga was one of the first released and I have had lingering problems with the keyboard/touchpad going unresponsive (even after the tweaks revealed here on this Board) and the Metro screen spasmodically scrolling to the far right upon bootup or in the middle of using the News App.  But my limited use after the upgrade seems to have eliminated (or at least reduced) these problems.

I'm happier now than I have been in over 9 months of disappointment with my Yoga 13.

Good luck with your upgrade!

Gene_G
Punch Card
Views: 4,107
Message 2 of 7

Re: Win 8.1 Upgrade on Yoga 13...My Experience

UPDATE

My Yoga seems to hang on bootup until I hit something on the keyboard.

Anybody have any ideas???  Could this have anything to do with Intel Rapid Start?

YES...you MUST reinstall Intel Rapid Start.

On boot to the Metro screen, the screen still shifts all the way to the right and highlights the upper right App tile (just like it did on Win 8.0) which is a real aggravation.  I have to hit the ESC key and use a screen swipe to get it to respond in a normal fashion.

michaelracelli
Paper Tape
Views: 3,150
Message 3 of 7

My problem is the secure boot is not properly configured that you said you went into the BIOS and fixed how do I fix my secure boot because I have that watermark in my lower right corner that's what I wanted specific instructions on how to fix and repair so can you please walk me through how you went into the BIOS and enabled your secure boot because I already talking about the audiovisual driver and that is not my problem I just upgraded to Windows 8 .1 and it says secure boot not configured properly in my lower right hand corner and you said you came up with a solution why you never explained how you went into your BIOS and what you did to enable secure booT, that is my main problem no other drivers no other issues just the secure boot watermark

Moderator Note; subject edited; post merged in

Gene_G
Punch Card
Views: 3,121
Message 4 of 7

Shut down your Yoga.

Press small round button (called the Nova Button) on front of your laptop (to the right Left of the normal Power On/Off button).

This will get you into OneKey Recovery which gives you option to get into the BIOS/UEFI.

I wish I could help you further but my Yoga is at the Lenovo Repair Depot so I can't tell you exactly which settings I had to change.  But I recall there are two settings which indicate boot using UEFI and one indicating boot to secure UEFI.

Good luck!  Also check for newer driver(s) available from Lenovo for 8.1.

Ezekial
Punch Card
Views: 3,017
Message 5 of 7

@michaelracelli wrote:

My problem is the secure boot is not properly configured that you said you went into the BIOS and fixed how do I fix my secure boot because I have that watermark in my lower right corner that's what I wanted specific instructions on how to fix and repair so can you please walk me through how you went into the BIOS and enabled your secure boot because I already talking about the audiovisual driver and that is not my problem I just upgraded to Windows 8 .1 and it says secure boot not configured properly in my lower right hand corner and you said you came up with a solution why you never explained how you went into your BIOS and what you did to enable secure booT, that is my main problem no other drivers no other issues just the secure boot watermark

Moderator Note; subject edited; post merged in

Continuing on what Gene_G said.  Go into the Security menu at the top (in BIOS).  Under there is info on enabling Secure boot.  can't miss it.

Pilgrim2
What's DOS?
Views: 2,675
Message 6 of 7

Settings>Change PC Settings>Update and Recovery>Recovery>Advanced Startup-Restart Now>Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>UEFI Firmware Settings>Restart

Gene_G
Punch Card
Views: 2,653
Message 7 of 7

Thanks Pilgrim2...this is definitely the best and easiest way to get into UEFI (once you find it)!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors