Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amz
Paper Tape
Views: 1,275
Message 1 of 8

Windows 8 OS taking up more than 100 GB on my new yoga 11s

I don't know how to solve this.  I feel like I need an advanced degree in computer science to deal with all this windows 8 frustration.  I have a new 11s yoga--well not new enough or it would be going back to Best Buy.  I barely have anything downloaded on it, but the windows 8OS is taking up more than 100 GB on my system.  It has barely any memory left, I is showing in RED and warning me sometimes to close other apps.  I noticed that windows 64 bit only requires 20gb to download--why in the world is mine taking dangerously high levels of my GB?  Please help. 

amz
Paper Tape
Views: 1,263
Message 2 of 8

Re: Windows 8 OS taking up more than 100 GB on my new yoga 11s

Forgot to add:  After my 3-4 hours  today, I followed the fix of disabling the hibernate on windows 8--that freed up only 3GB and windows 8OS is still taking up more than 100gb.

Guru
Views: 1,250
Message 3 of 8

Have you tried a factory reset ?

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

amz
Paper Tape
Views: 1,238
Message 4 of 8

No...how do I do that?  Is it in the manual?  I found very little info in the manual but I will read thru and see if it explains.  $850  -- it should just work.  Sigh.

Highlighted
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,223
Message 5 of 8

hi amz,

What jonas_hendrickx is referring to is the OneKey Recovery feature of the unit. This can be triggered if you press the OneKey Recovery button or launching the OneKey Recovery app on the desktop.

- Link to picture

- Link to picture

In addition, you can also try to use TreeSize or WinDIRStat to examine the files that are taking up space on the drive. You can also use disk cleanup to free up space.

Hope this helps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

amz
Paper Tape
Views: 1,191
Message 6 of 8

Thank you Neokenchi and Jonas--I really appreciate the information and the links to the pictures.  I am still playing around but I know I have the option of the factory reset if nothing else works. 

ronaldlangley
Serial Port
Views: 1,120
Message 7 of 8

Could it be that you enabled BitLocker? While the drive is being encrypted the harddisk appears to be full, but once the encryption is completed it should be back to normal.
Leisurefix
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,111
Message 8 of 8

Windows 8 should not use anywhere near that much memory.  I have a Yoga 13 which should be fairly similar, and there is only 31GB used on the harddisk, and this additionally includes half a dozen games, Microsoft Office, and a few more apps.

Have a look at how much memory all the installed Apps are using, you can do this from the Metro interface by sweeping in from the right hand side of the screen, selecting Settings, then choose "Change PC settings", choose "Search and apps", then choose "App sizes", this will allow you to identify if there is one application that has used up all the disk space.

You can also find the size of all the applications installed from the Control Panel (access by typing "control panel" in search box after sweeping in from the right in Metro), select Programs, then "Programs and features", then click on the column header "Size" to see if there are any installed applications taking up all the hard disk.

Another option is to go to the Desktop, open the File Explorer, then click in the search box to the upper right.  This will open the Search toolbar, within which is a drop down entitled "Size", click on this and select "Gigantic>128MB".  This will display any large files, for example on my Yoga there is a single file "MEMORY.DMP" that is 543MB.  Have a look and see if there are any really large files that are using up your hard disk space.

Another couple of thoughts, do have any external personal audio/video devices that are synced with the computer? For example if you have an MP3 player with 64GB of memory that is full of music that you have synced with the computer then that would fill the remaining hard disk space.

I understand it can seem a little daunting trying to work out what is going on, personally I think it is worth perservering as the Yoga is a really nice laptop.  You of course have to realise that it is a very advanced piece of technology and software, but in being that advanced by definition it does mean that it is not as simple to operate as a lot of consumer gadgets.

Good luck in working out what is using up all the hard disk space.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors